Page 1 of 2
Ok everyone, so I've put a few ideas of mine out here but i've finally got everything set. I have decided to go a different direction with my project's.

The first is just a restoration/fix of a silvertone archtop i got so i figue ill show some of that.

The second is my first build. ive decide to go acoustic and avoid all the electronics for now(i want some crazy stuff so i'll work on that later). im going to build a mandolin. it will be a lot more woodworking which is what i really like more so it sould be fun. I really wanted to go for something unique so after debating i decided that the mandolin will be based off the Gibson ES-335 guitar design.

I ordered all my supplies and parts 2 days ago so im hoping that i will have everything to get started just after the holiday(this will also give me some time to figue out how to post pictures )

Thanks
Gian
Last edited by gian133 at Dec 26, 2008,
Yea it should be pretty cool. im looking forward to it.

i would like to make a smaller sized 335 guitar too. i think its the 336 which has the smaller body. i saw one in person for the first time the other day and it was sweet lookin.

And, NO I am not refinishing the archtop im just restoring it. it has a small crack and a little seperation of one of the joints (side to top).
it also looks like someone had done like a hand done re finish on it so i was thinking of doing some very light sanding and just some sort of clear coat to protect it.
But yea im keeping all the origional looks(wear and tear). only thing that wont be origional will be the tailpiece.

Thanks
Gian
Ug's first mandolin build??!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Merry Christmas Everyone,

So yesterday most of my parts came in. a nice christmas present for myself. i'm still waiting for the neck and back wood as well as some other tools I ordered. I'll put up some pictures hopefully in the next few days of everything before i get started. I'm so excited though, i want to start working.

Gian
so im going to start bending sides soon and this is the part im most concerned about as ive never done it before. im using a pipe with a torch in it method.
the sides are maple(curly).

now ive seen many different opinions about wetting the wood. some say just spray it lightly, some to wipe it with a wet rag, and others to soak it for a period of time(usually about 5 min).

any suggestions with this.

thanks
Gian
An ES-335 mandolin sounds really fun. Be sure to supply us with pictures!

G'luck mate!

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
^thanks i will put pic's as much as possible

anyone about the sides?

thanks again
Wow that's nice!! ^
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

ok so today(sunday) was the official start of work on my mandolin

i made my bending jig/form and the bending pipe i am going to use. i also got some practice wood to use before i use my nicer stuff. i also worked on the top a bit, trying to get a nice joint between the halfs to glue. i cant get it really perfect. im also trying to figure out the neck angle. i think about 3 degrees. (any help with this?)

i hopefully put up some pictues tomorrow of the work and if i do some practic bending.

thanks
gian

also. how would i put up picture where there is no link to click. (where it is just shown below in the post). would i have to use something like photobucket?
www.photobucket.com

Make an account and upload your pics there.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
+1 one the mando.
And for pics, yeah, use photobucket or flickr or whatever, then copy the image location between the tags.
well i just did some practice bending. the horns are going to be nearly impossible. im probably going to re plan it. the bending was fun tho, it was the first time i tried and its just wierd to be bending what was once a straight piece of wood.

im still waiting for my neck wood and ive been killing my brain trying to figure out neck angle. with the bridge.

and thanks. ill have to get the photobucket going.

Gian
Can you maybe get a smaller piece of pipe for the horns?
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
i was thinkin that a smaller pipe might help. i was currently using 1inch diameter maybe ill try a smaller one like 1/2 inch.

walker. have you had expirence with bending?

thanks
Gian
I'm not really sure how thats funny but whatever.

I actually don't have any experience with bending, but I figured smaller pipe, tighter bend.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
yea i dont know how thats funny either
ill probably try the smaller pipe

levi, i'd like to see your project when you get to it. i love the 335 body style.

and some progress
today im gonna do some more practic bends to see if the horns are do-able.
im still waiting for the neck and back wood. i really want to get the neck wood so i can lay it all out and figure out the angle and all the dimensions. then i'll be able to make some real progress. its expected to get here on friday so hopefully by the weekend i can get some major work done.

thanks
gian
It would be really cool if the pipe you already have was threaded on the inside and you could just screw the smaller pipe into it.
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
hello everyone

so im waiting for the rest of my wood. should be getting here any minuite now.
with what i have i have made some good progress though. i tried another practice bend for the sides. ive deciede to go a different way with building the horns. will be lots easier and reliable and definiatly easier to duplicate if needed in the future.

i also glued the top together and just cut out the shape. im trying to decied what would be the best way to carve it out. ive seen multiple methods. im thinking im gonna have to go get a gouge to do it.

i put pic up once the wood arrives.

thanks
gian
the wood has arrived

here is some pictures of progress and the back and neck wood. i started some carving on the top. and in one pic you can see the practice sides i made.

enjoy
gian
Attachments:
r011.jpg
r020.jpg
r057.jpg
r065.jpg
335 mandolin? That's one of the awesomest ideas I've heard in a while, can't wait to see how it ends up
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
thanks yea its really looking good.
i've been carving the top for a few hours now. its really starting to look sweet. im still workin out the neck joint and how the binding in that area will be.

more pic's soon tonight probably.

thanks
gian
they dont go together.

well everyone ive been hit with the flu. not much work was done since monday. today i was finally feeling better and did some work

monday i went to the store (pre-flu) and got myself a gouge. definiatly going to help me out. however. i cut out the back on monday and in a second i realized....

Spruce is like butter(warm butter ). while maple is like a rock.

so today in trying to get some stuff done i resorted to roughing the back out with a chisel which is working good.

here is some progress pictures.

Thanks
Gian
Attachments:
r020.jpg
r027.jpg
r029.jpg
Looks pretty sweet man!
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
hey the top is pretty much done. a little left to do on the left horn but this is the shape it will be. i just set up a photobucket account so let me try this.

ok . here is some more progress. top of the top is pretty much final. just final sanding.
i started cutting out the f holes and carving the inside. heres the pictures

this is the guitar that the mandolin is based off of:
i finished cutting out the f holes. almost done with the inside. i need to get to the neck and sides so i can see how everything is going to fit together.

closeup
I like you accordian

And it's looking good... What kind of finish are you thinking?
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by Coolcat13
I like you accordian

And it's looking good... What kind of finish are you thinking?

thanks. im thinking probably a red. something between red and what that guitar is . the guitar is cherry i believe so not bright red but not cherry. i have white binding and i've been thinking of doing a pickguiard made of wood that has like a black finish where you can still see the grain. like a transparent black. im lookiing at the waterbased stains and lacquers from stewmac. any suggestions? i figure i would stain it by hand then clear coat with my spray gun i have.

and thanks ESP. i just drew out the neck and headstock and that looks awsome. i cant wait to get started on it..

thanks everyone
Gian
Page 1 of 2