So I have an Ibanez GAX70. I also have a Roland Cube 15x, so I know its not my amp.

I try to stay away from mid-scooping, I usually keep Bass and Mid EQ settings around 50% and vary the Treble from 50-90% (I dont like full treble), and with the Gain anywhere from 60-100% I get this twangy, high pitched noise on the 2 low strings.

Im going to guess its either the pickups, (which are of course suspect because of the fact that the GAX is a low-end guitar), or my Medium gauge picks. I dont pick that hard, but I have noted the twangy-ness is muted very slightly when I fingerpick.

What do you all think? If its the pickups, what pickups would give me a good tone (I like to play heavy stuff, and I also play some slightly less distorted music like older AFI and Chiodos).

If its the pick, would using a thinner pick alleviate it?

Is the GAX worth upgrading the pickups? Im debating just dealing with it and saving up for another guitar, and probably a 7 string like the RG7321 or the LTD SC-207.
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 21, 2008,
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
Of course the 15 watt amp CANT be the problem. Better to blame your pick...

*headdesk*

Edited, no longer needed.
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Dec 22, 2008,
Hey man I'm sorry I came off as sarcastic, I've had a ****ty day.

Rolands are decent amps...but you're never gonna get much beyond twnagy out of a 15 watt amp. Sorry again for the attitude earlier man. Any other questions? I'll hang on this thread and help you out.
Well roland cubes are good but that ones only 15watt so im guessing that could be some of the problem if not all of it. i had a GAX 70 one time with a 25watt yamaha amp and a boss ds-1 distortion my first rig it never had any twang issues.

I like heavy gauge picks and have used them a lot man with no twanginess there either so i wouldnt say its that. I'm gonna go ahead and say its probably just the small amp and the guitar combined. Those are nice guitars i didnt think mine was worth upgrading so i bought a new one.

If ya want to upgrade it though i dont recommend it especially because of the amp you have id probably upgrade that before i bought another guitar maybe a Roland 30 watt or a Vox AD series amp. The guitar you could put a JB in the bridge i really wouldnt put any more expensive pickup in that guitar than that. Maybe one of those Duncan distortion mayhams something like that. Or maybe a EMG HZ i dont know much about the HZ series ive played a epiphone custom zakk wylde model though that had a set in them i liked them you could go to a shop and check them out see what ya think.

Also i gotta mention the only thing right off hand i can think of that can cause some twang would be your action is set too low to the frets. Now that i have delt with before and it can be rather annoying comeing through the amp. Its like you said most notable on the low E an A strings forsure. If ya set it up and your still hearing it take the guitar to a shop have the neck checked out could be a truss issue too.

hope this helps cya
Last edited by Wyldeman2403 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by x_live4guitar_x
Hey man I'm sorry I came off as sarcastic, I've had a ****ty day.

Rolands are decent amps...but you're never gonna get much beyond twnagy out of a 15 watt amp. Sorry again for the attitude earlier man. Any other questions? I'll hang on this thread and help you out.

I guess I never really thought of it that way, I dont get any other tone issues with the other strings so I thought it would be something else.

Im debating getting the Cube 30, but I dont want to spend more money and possibly face the same issues with a low-wattage SS amp.

Ideally Id like to make the jump to a tube amp like the Valveking, but I dunno, tubes are kind of out of my budget for the timebeing.

----

I guess I put a bit too much faith behind the Rolands, heh. What would be the minimum wattage I should aim for to get a decent tone?

---

I feel like an idiot now for making the much-read about and much-criticized assumption that its the guitar and not the amp in regards to tone quality.
Yeah theres a lot of amps out there that would be worth buying before a new guitar. I have a low end RG and can get monster tones out of it. Get a slightly better amp, somewhere in the 50-100 watt range, a nice modeler or something used on ebay and work your tone out. I personally like something along the lines of Gain: 8-9, Bass: 6-8, Mid: 9-10, Treble: 7-9. Set up a more powerful amp along those lines, and the last thing on your mind will be a "twangy" sound.

----------
Just a note on the amps: I use an old Flextone XL, those are probably running pretty cheap now since even the Flextone 3's are getting old.
-------------
One more thing: I have a Peavy backstage, along the lines of your Cube...and if moneys an issue and you just need to make due, I suggest something like Gain: 7, Bass: 7, Mid: 9-10, Treble: 6-7. It won't be your dream tone, but it'll sound a lot better than anything else you can dial up.
------------------
Third edit, wow I wont shut up: You can also improve quality of sound by how loud your amp is. Volume effects all tone, its science....so if youre running it at bedroom practice level that won't get that thing to it's very limited full potential either.
Last edited by x_live4guitar_x at Dec 22, 2008,
hey man read your last post to get a decent tone in my opinion go with a 50 watter, I dont have much experience with the rolands so im not sure how theyd sound. ive got a vox ad50vt and its pretty awesome man.
Theres a couple option for the 75-100w range, even some tube amps, but theyre closer to the mid 400s mark.

I'll have to take a look around and see whats good, I was planning on buying a pedal anyway.
This is kinda unrelated...but everytime I've ever played with a vox it always sounds like a damn 60's Marshall, how do you get a heavy tone outta that thing? Lol
live4guitar i agree with ya man, if hes running it at bedroom levels its definately gonna hurt the tone. Even my Vox turned down low like that makes the tone way down so yeah man definately listen to live4guitar about the volume it does directly affect the tone.
Man...if you're price range is in the mid 400s...I can't support the Line 6 Flextone any more than I already do. I bet you could find a used 2x12 for around there. That's 100 watts, big boy toy. Plus it's a modeler so you can get a looooot of tones out of it. I just recently tapped into my rig after years of playing and I have an old flextone I soundin' straight up BITCHIN'. And the Flextone II's are even better so I'd look into it. You might even find a used Flextone III in the mid 400s but I'm happy enough with my old one that I'm not in the market so I'm not sure.
finger picking will always 'lower' your tone, so it's not your pick. fiddle with the EQ for now?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
How good are Ibanez amps? There's a 65w on Musician's Friend for $279.

I may look into the Flextone and see what I can find price-wise.
I haven't heard great things about them. um maybe try the crate V18 or V50 on MF? or maybe other small tube amps, fender super champ XD? you get tube, with effects and that. or epi valve jr. maybe with a fish'n'chips? theres lots of good options out there.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Aye man it took me a while ill go ahead and tell ya. The cool thing about the ad50vt man is its a modeling amp so its got some amp models built into it that are based off of todays high gain tube amps man. It wasnt hard to get it set up.

My settings on it are the amp type is at US High Gain, and my gain is set at about 7, treble 9 1\2, mids are like 6 1\2, and my bass is set at 7. This set up gave me a pretty bad ass tone outta of it. Even with my ec 50 played through it. Its just got so much gain through the amp setting, plus i have my wattage knob turned to 50 on the back.

Im guessing off of memory here because i forgot to write my settings down when i stored them. After i stored them i went in and set up my clean channal. Plus on the guitar i keep the tone knob down just slightly so that its not all the way up.
Last edited by Wyldeman2403 at Dec 22, 2008,
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-75-75W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=482910

Theres a good amp for you in my opinion. 75 watts, modeler, good name in amplification. I'd say go for it dude, you can't can't can't go wrong with a modeler.

-----------------------------
Wylde...I dig it. I'm all for the modelers. My Flextones the same way.

Right now I pretty much have my tones NAILED. I'm running line 6's dual rectifier setting with cranked mids for a nice thick sound. And for my clean tone I'm running the equivalent of an old blackface twin '65 with the gain rolled back. I've never been happier as a guitarist than the day I got all of that dialed in right.
Last edited by x_live4guitar_x at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by Wyldeman2403
Aye man it took me a while ill go ahead and tell ya. The cool thing about the ad50vt man is its a modeling amp so its got some amp models built into it that are based off of todays high gain tube amps man. It wasnt hard to get it set up.

My settings on it are the amp type is at US High Gain, and my gain is set at about 7, treble 9 1\2, mids are like 6 1\2, and my bass is set at 7. This set up gave me a pretty bad ass tone outta of it. Even with my ec 50 played through it. Its just got so much gain through the amp setting, plus i have my wattage knob turned to 50 on the back.

Im guessing off of memory here because i forgot to write my settings down when i stored them. After i stored them i went in and set up my clean channal. Plus on the guitar i keep the tone knob down just slightly so that its not all the way up.

Those look pretty nice, is it a tube amp, or solid state? Or both? Im not quite following "hybrid".

live4guitar: I was actually just looking at that amp. Thats *right* in my price range, I think Im gonna to GC and check out the Vypyr, I might pick one up.
I highly reccomend it brother, and feel free to ask me about any other issues. As stated above I know my way around modelers and can make them whail for you, pretty much w/e tone you want.
Actually the vox advts are hybrids they've got 1 tube in them so they give you the sound and warmth of a full tube amp, but for a cheaper price. Go to vox's webpage man they have video clips and a lotta info on them they do sound amazing you can pretty much get any sound you want outta them.

so theres no misconceptions yes i know they arent tube amps just a hybrid and yes i know tubes sound better. Just wanted to say that
Yeah but if you do decide to get anything with even a single tube....don't come back in 6 months saying your sound went to ****....just retube.
hey live4guitar i here ya brother man once i got my vox dialed in i fell in love with it. I own a behringer vtone 100w too i dont even use that thing anymore. The sound of my vox has me completely hooked. My clean sound setting on my vox i used the ac 30 amp model to get it man once i dialed that sucked in it sounded so great just the right amount of gain bass and highs. Really clean and crispy i must say.
live4guitar thats it man, my cousin got a hybrid vox too with a single tube in it and hes had it for about 2 years. Hes been real lucky he hasnt even had to retube yet. I'm hopin i can get as lucky as him with mine.
Hell yeah! I struggled with my tone for soooo long. Then I kinda got a point in the right direction and totally just got it over a barrel. That amp is MINE! But the more I look at this Peavy Vypyr...the more I want it. Lol. Onboard looper? USB interface included? I might have to look into this some time in the future, which is crazy as much as I love that Line 6!

Well maybe you should try PLAYIN' the damn thing. Get them bitches HOT! Tubes were made to wear out in 6 months.

JK with ya....partially :P
HELL yeah dude, its actually new ive had it for about two months now so who knows will see is four months. I've never heard those vypers ive heard the bandits and know they sound alright.

Are the flextones real good? It was an amp i was considering for myself before i got the Vox.
Flextones are heaven. I get bithcin sound outta the old one, I read the manual to the II and III and drool over what I could have. They got simulated cabs and all sorts of cool stuff. Mine's old school, what you see is what you get as far as the original flextones go.