Hey guys, im in need of a bass amp. short of cash, i gig alot, but the venues i play at aren't quite big (my usual venue is on a dance floor area at a bar & grill). So yeah, since im short on cash, im restricted to what amp i need.

I got a gig coming up, and i wanted to know, from experience, if 100 watts is enough to pump the bass in front of a crowd of ppl. To clear any confusion, id like to imagine if the house does not provide a PA System that i can plug into.

Thanks
Ibanez S570b [Dimarzio Mo'Joe & PAF Joe]
Schecter Omen-6 [Dimarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire]
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
Mesa Boogie Traditional Slant 412
THD Hot Plate
Yes. 100W is about the limit to play with a drummer.

What's the $ limit? You can get a pretty decent 200W for like $350.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."
-Frank Zappa

"Where words fail, music speaks."
-Hans Christian Andersen
Forget about watts, how many 15'' (minimal size) cabs can you cram in ? That or some of the old crazy 9*8'' cabs traynor made (yes, nine 8 inch speakers in a 4*12 sized cab). Anything to grant you plenty of low-end headroom, if the ground pummels it's good without the PA, but are you playing a TUBE AMP ?

100 watts of tube crankiness is plenty enough, transistors (if your amp responds well to being pushed) may pass the test also, but keep in mind to have a big-ass cab to give 'em the shakes.

In need of a new amp ? Go to pawnshops and do yourself a favor by buying a working tube amp head, reliable even when going down to hell.

I spent exactly 325 $ for a 50-100w bass head (not quite sure, not said anywhere on it and dating of the 60's) and a 4*10 traynor cab, both work quite amazingly, and when you speak of tone, there'S plenty in there, using it for guitar, volume at 10 equals grindy distortion, as sabbath, led zep etc.

For three times the price you might get a head that would top the sound, but in terms of durability if your oldie still works it's got through the roughest of tests. Not to forget 3x the $ still means no cab with it, unless lucky. At the very least a mod or two to boost lower frequencies in a used tube head will make it your very workhorse.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Dec 22, 2008,
^He's talking bass, not guitar, wasn't sure if you knew that...Anyway, in my opinion 100W is NOT enough. If you need wattage immediately I would rent an amp for a while until you can gain up some money (Christmas is just around the corner ) I would say 250-300 watts is about a minimum for comfortable wattage.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^He's talking bass, not guitar, wasn't sure if you knew that...Anyway, in my opinion 100W is NOT enough. If you need wattage immediately I would rent an amp for a while until you can gain up some money (Christmas is just around the corner ) I would say 250-300 watts is about a minimum for comfortable wattage.

Agreed. 100W will just about do for practising with a drummer, but if a crowd wants to hear you as well, it's just not enough.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
100w is not enough period.

Im a firm believer that anything between 30w and 125w is the "useless zone." More then needed for practice, but way too little for a band setting.

I have a 200w kustom B200. Its excellent because I really only have to turn the amp 1/4-1/3 of the way up to compete with drums and guitar, which means Im not pushing the amp, and my tone stays good.

tl;dr So my best advice is really 150w is the minimum, and I happen to find something I like a lot at the 200w level.
I played a 100W amp onstage and could not tell it was on. Period.

I played a 200W amp onstage and couldn't discern the notes.

My 350W setup is perfect but I'm sure you could get away with 300W or even 250W.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
dependent on your tonal preference, you can be very loud.

for example, my boosting of both high mids and low lows allows me to be quite audible when I play using a 200 watt amp, when I place my 50 watt amp on a cabinet in my practice room, it allows me to get loud enough also.

what are your current EQ settings?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Depends on the cab. A 100W 110 combo isn't going to be loud....but a 100W 115 or 210 combo, or even a 112 should do just fine.

edit: also, +1 to what humanity said
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 22, 2008,
Long & McQuade tried to sell me the discontinued Yorkville Bassmaster 200 watt (2x10" speakers) for $650! . Since i play guitar also, i dont want to spend too much money on the amp.

I honestly had a limit for around 200-300 bucks, but i already know that won't get me anything good besides 100 watts. So that's why i'd appreciate if anyone who actually gigs with a 100 watt bass amp (or had in the past) and is it good enough?
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
THD Hot Plate
Quote by BH7697
Long & McQuade tried to sell me the discontinued Yorkville Bassmaster 200 watt (2x10" speakers) for $650! . Since i play guitar also, i dont want to spend too much money on the amp.

I honestly had a limit for around 200-300 bucks, but i already know that won't get me anything good besides 100 watts. So that's why i'd appreciate if anyone who actually gigs with a 100 watt bass amp (or had in the past) and is it good enough?

read my post.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Gäbe
Forget about watts, how many 15'' (minimal size) cabs can you cram in ? That or some of the old crazy 9*8'' cabs traynor made (yes, nine 8 inch speakers in a 4*12 sized cab). Anything to grant you plenty of low-end headroom, if the ground pummels it's good without the PA, but are you playing a TUBE AMP ?

100 watts of tube crankiness is plenty enough, transistors (if your amp responds well to being pushed) may pass the test also, but keep in mind to have a big-ass cab to give 'em the shakes.

In need of a new amp ? Go to pawnshops and do yourself a favor by buying a working tube amp head, reliable even when going down to hell.

I spent exactly 325 $ for a 50-100w bass head (not quite sure, not said anywhere on it and dating of the 60's) and a 4*10 traynor cab, both work quite amazingly, and when you speak of tone, there'S plenty in there, using it for guitar, volume at 10 equals grindy distortion, as sabbath, led zep etc.

For three times the price you might get a head that would top the sound, but in terms of durability if your oldie still works it's got through the roughest of tests. Not to forget 3x the $ still means no cab with it, unless lucky. At the very least a mod or two to boost lower frequencies in a used tube head will make it your very workhorse.

I did post this question in the "bass guitar" section, but i guess i should be more specific.
GFS Xaviere Acoustic

Peavey JSX
THD Hot Plate
Gabe was talking about a bass amp.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Dont fall into my predicament, I have a 100watts which im selling with a barely a year of use out of it. Best to hit 200watts now and have a good time and not have to upgrade. Keep scanning ebay and you sure to pick somethinf up, Look at peaveys.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I use a little 15w to practise with my drummer. It's fine, and he is a very loud player.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

M4L666 uses a magical combo that we should all get.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by m4l666
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I use a little 15w to practise with my drummer. It's fine, and he is a very loud player.

Quote by m4l666

Can he hear you? Chances are, no. A good tip is to try turning away from him and seeing how long it takes to notice. It will be a while.

15W is able to put out a decent bedroom practise volume. Considering an aggressive drummer can make the unprepared wince on every hit of the snare, I would say your guitarists are the ones telling you your volume is ok.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I'm in the same predicament. I'm in a band ( www.myspace.com/urbansprawlforpresident ) I play on a short-scale copy of a fender jazz bass, and i have been gigging with a 15 watt crate, and I'm never heard. So long story short, I was checking out a 100 watt ampeg 115 combo, and I knew it was much louder than my amp, but I have no idea if I will be heard by the drummer. I have a marshall half stack for guitar and i was thinking about just getting a head and bringing a 412 cabinet around, although inconvenient, would this work? this is irrelevant and I'm a self taught bass player so I'm not versed in the bass world.
Quote by pedrothelion123
I'm in the same predicament. I'm in a band ( www.myspace.com/urbansprawlforpresident ) I play on a short-scale copy of a fender jazz bass, and i have been gigging with a 15 watt crate, and I'm never heard. So long story short, I was checking out a 100 watt ampeg 115 combo, and I knew it was much louder than my amp, but I have no idea if I will be heard by the drummer. I have a marshall half stack for guitar and i was thinking about just getting a head and bringing a 412 cabinet around, although inconvenient, would this work? this is irrelevant and I'm a self taught bass player so I'm not versed in the bass world.

100w is certainly better, but honestly, you may as well get 200 at least
with my 100w ampeg (same amp as your looking at)at a gig i didnt need to crank it over half way up, it got loud quick, i could hear myslef with gee-tar, drums, and vocals, I've used a 75w b4 and been just fine. idk whatother peoples experiences are, but im a loud bassist and it works grat. maybe im just awesomer than everyone else. who knows.
Try adding more delay.
so with the wattage problem out of the way, what amp would you recommend in the wattage range of 100-200? my budget is about 400 USD if that helps...
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

Schecter Stiletto Studio-4

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
I practice with my band with a 30 watt trainer and it beats out my drummer :S
Quote by telecastrmastr
with my 100w ampeg (same amp as your looking at)at a gig i didnt need to crank it over half way up, it got loud quick, i could hear myslef with gee-tar, drums, and vocals, I've used a 75w b4 and been just fine. idk whatother peoples experiences are, but im a loud bassist and it works grat. maybe im just awesomer than everyone else. who knows.

But could anyone else hear you? That's the key here.

I have a 200w 2x10 Nemesis combo, and that's probably not going to be enough once i start gigging anywhere remotely big. It's great for practice and gymnasium-sized shows, but that's about it. I'd say 200w minimum. MINIMUM. And at least a 1x15 speaker. A 2x10 extension cab (or a 2x10 with a 1x15 extension) would be optimal.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
But could anyone else hear you? That's the key here.

I have a 200w 2x10 Nemesis combo, and that's probably not going to be enough once i start gigging anywhere remotely big. It's great for practice and gymnasium-sized shows, but that's about it. I'd say 200w minimum. MINIMUM. And at least a 1x15 speaker. A 2x10 extension cab (or a 2x10 with a 1x15 extension) would be optimal.

ya. we did sound test, gee-tar and drummas brother stands out in the audience and play a practice song so he can tell if someone needs to go up or down (: so everyone heard me fine. XD
Try adding more delay.
Im sure 100 watts is fine to do a bar place like that and can't you have someone mic it up for ya at the gig?
you know, it really depends on the acoustics of the plce you are going to play
in my drummer's house i can ply with my 15 watts amp with no problem, but in my house with my drumset i can hear any sound coming from my amp due the huges amout of echo in my practice room
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
i think 100 watts is good. i played with my friends (1 guitarist and a drummer) and i just cranked my 100w. the good thing about cranking it, as that you can get a bit harsher of a tone... but i think youll be good with 100
thanks guys, and the answer to the micing situation is no, not usually i cant mic it, i play very small places, little festivals in parks, parties, some galleries and stuff, so i think a 100 watt ampeg should suffice for now
thanks everyone!
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

Schecter Stiletto Studio-4

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone