Can someone please explain the difference in pickups?
I am looking to upgrade an electric from a starter Ibanez.
One of my friends is claiming I need EMGS. I have read other threads and am
hearing Seymor Duncans are the best, one poster claims the Jazz or JB pickups are great.

The reason is I am looking at the ESP EC-1000, looked at Epiphone SG prophecy.
The amber model of esp comes with Seymor Duncan JB/59's, the others come with
EMG 81/60. The store does not have the amber model in stock, so I cannot play it.

I also don't know anything about the locking bridge. I don't use a whammy bar, so I might be able to save money and buy ec-400 if I want the amber.

I'm trying to play rock/hard/rock if that matters, but learning a little blues in my lessons.

thanks.
if ur playing hard rock and rock do urself a favor and dont get emgs there VERY metal, get the jb/jazz there alot better for what u need
Fender MIM Stratocaster With YJM pickup in neck
Esp Ltd Kh-202

Crate 15w

Electro Harmonix Metal Muff
DOD Yngwie J. Malmsteen OD
Digitech Rp 80
if you like only metal get the EMGs but if you have a SS amp or play other things than metal get the duncans. but try out some gutiars w. duncans and EMGs in them if you can.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Agreed if hes gonna play hard rock or any blues he needs a medium output pickup foresure. The jb could be what hes looking for, if your wanting purely metal you definatly want some EMGs man 81\85 are my choice for the best metal setup others may disagree with me, but those are the ones i like.

Also check into so classic rock humbuckers maybe some by gibson or other seymour duncan models.
guitarbite fire not to get off topic of this thread but im interested in the duncan hot rodded set and was wondering how they sound?
What amp are you using?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I got myself a set of EMG 81s, bridge and neck and I sorta regret. I was playing metal when I first started out. But now I sorta toned down to rock and my setup sounds a bit too harsh for the music I intend to play. . .
I installed a set of Seymour Duncan's in my Epi G400 today, a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck.

Since I got finished installing them pretty late at night I haven't had a chance to crank the amp and give them a real work out but playing at low volumes has given me a taste of things to come and has me pretty eager to really hear these babies.
Then in all honesty it's not worth worrying too much about pickups yet, however if you're looking at what comes stock on a guitar you should avoid actives like EMGs, they don't work all that well with modelling or solid state amps.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Does anyone know of any good online guide that explains the differences in all the kinds of pickups?
Quote by steven seagull
Then in all honesty it's not worth worrying too much about pickups yet, however if you're looking at what comes stock on a guitar you should avoid actives like EMGs, they don't work all that well with modelling or solid state amps.

Thanks, I was thinking I should avoid the EMGs.
Yeah I would go with the Seymour Duncans.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
I think I'm going to get the ESP EC 400, not sure if anyone has it locally, might have to order online.