My friend asked if i could put a set of EMG 81/85 active pick-ups in his Epiphone Explorer for him to which i replied, Yes no worries it is easy. However someone else has since told me that to do this i will need to route out the pickup cavities as the EMGs are deeper than the stock Epiphone pick-ups.
Can anyone who has performed this mod please confirm if this is true or not?

Cheers
I doubt it, whenever I've tried to put EMGs in my guitars, they fit, unless for some strange reason, they only dug the whole enough so that the p-up could fit, in that case, they are kinda retarded, but then you would have to.
They should fit, although its not hard to just take the original pups out and find out for yourself.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
i HIGHLY doubt it. EMGs are meant to be drop-in replacement pickups
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
thats bs. EMGs will fit fine. epi pickups are standard sized humbuckers...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Hey Guys,
Thanks for you responses. especially Zakkwyldefan79 for the picks, awesome stuff.

cheers
knackers69
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
No problem. I'm glad I could help.

dude, I want that explorer.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
dude, I want that explorer.

Sorry it's not for sale. I got lucky when I found it in pawn shop for $100. It was completly stock at the time. After customizing it I've only got around $300 - $325 in it so I think I better keep it. You're not the only person that wants it. I know several people locally that want it. Thanks anyway though.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
Sorry it's not for sale. I got lucky when I found it in pawn shop for $100. It was completly stock at the time. After customizing it I've only got around $300 - $325 in it so I think I better keep it. You're not the only person that wants it. I know several people locally that want it. Thanks anyway though.

No I just have GAS for an explorer. What I really want is an Explorer with a Floyd that's recessed, plus the Epi futura is dumb looking as hell.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
No I just have GAS for an explorer. What I really want is an Explorer with a Floyd that's recessed, plus the Epi futura is dumb looking as hell.

A Kramer Imperial is Explorer style and they make them with Floyds and they're 24 fret.
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
A Kramer Imperial is Explorer style and they make them with Floyds and they're 24 fret.

yeah, too bad it's not mahogany
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden