I recently bought a B-52 ST-100A at a pawn shop and i have read that it's a good idea to change out the Sovtek tubes. That leaves me with the question of what to replace them with. I would like to get more gain from my amp and make the overall sound better. I'm new to tube amps and would appreciate any help.
Oh oh me too!
Guitars
- Schecter Tempest
- Epi LP Custom
- Ovation Acoustic
- BC Rich Dagger
Quote by suprfly

Amps & Effects
- B-52 AT-100
- Girlfriend (doubles as a Tube Screamer)
- Steve Vai Bad horsie 2

Quote by MightyAl
This strength is built and maintained by masturbation.
I really like the Tung-Sol 12AX7. Its a good reliable pre-amp tube, with a nice gain. Groove Tubes make some excellent power tubes.
i think the B-52 is a little dark sounding. So I would put some preamps tubes in that will brighten the tone up a little bit and be overall a bit more musical so i would go with Tung-Sol.

for the power tubes I think the amp would benefit with JJ6l6.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by JLT73
i think the B-52 is a little dark sounding. So I would put some preamps tubes in that will brighten the tone up a little bit and be overall a bit more musical so i would go with Tung-Sol.

for the power tubes I think the amp would benefit with JJ6l6.

+1

I'd just get JJ 6L6's and tung-sol 12ax7's
as said above thats exactly what i would do. tung-sols and jjs. unless you know a guitar tech who will try a bunch of different tubes and see what sounds good for what your going for and mix match them
You could always try eurotubes.com. He has a variety of tube packs for the B52 depending on what you are looking for (i.e. More gain, brighter, etc.). His prices are very reasonable and he will send you something within the amps bias range.
Quote by jamesfarr
+1

I'd just get JJ 6L6's and tung-sol 12ax7's

This, hands down.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Power tubes: JJ 6l6GC
Preamp tubes: 1x Tung-Sol 12ax7, rest JJ 12 ax7 (with a balanced PI)
WTLTL 2011