Alright, as my friends can tell you, on any purchases more than $50 I'm indecisive as a dog being offered two steaks from two people it doesn't know simultaneously from a mile apart, so, while I haven't even had my Blues Junior for a month, I want to know what I intend to get once I replace it so I don't flip-flop.

Anyway, I'm pretty much dead-set on an Orange, either a Tiny Terror or a Rocker 30. Both are tube, both from a brand I love that seems to be loved by this forum and a lot of artists(and a lot of sed artists, I like), and both have a Celestion 12", and as nice as it is, that Celestion will kick the ass of the Fender speaker in my current amp, hands-down.

In the Tiny Terror's favour, I already have a 15-watt tube amp and it can get loud, and apparently a class-A will be louder than my class-AB, it's about half the price lets me get it a lot sooner than the Rocker 30, plus I'm also saving for a new computer, so a cheaper amp is good, and the 15/7-watt switch makes it a lot more band/personal practice/natural drive-friendly than a 30-watt combo.

On the other hand, my Blues Junior has just as many watts, actual EQ(though I always just roll everything up to max and handle everything with volume, gain and master volume if it has the latter two), and $800 is a lot for less controllable EQ and the same wattage.

Now for the pros of the Rocker 30. It's got twice the watts of the Tiny Terror and my current amp with the same number of tubes as my Blues Junior, a Celestion Vintage 30, what is IMO one of the best speakers on the market, 30-watts is good enough for Brian May and The Edge until they need to mic it(a point which I won't be reaching for a while with this thing), and it's got a lot more clean headroom, and, since it has a gain knob and I have a tubescreamer, clean headroom is a good thing.

Onto it's cons, I couldn't use a Hot Rod Deluxe when I tried it because I had to get so far back to warm the tubes up to the point of sounding good it would kill my ears to practice with it, and I intend to use the Orange as a practice amp too, so if the 30-watts has that same problem the 40-watts did, it's dead now, plus it's $1,500, a price at which I could upgrade my amp and my guitar with the Tiny Terror, I only have one volume knob on the clean channel, and finally, I'm not sure I'm really ready to sink $1,500 into an amp yet.

As far as genres go, I try and throw a little of everything in, but 1964-1979 and/or blues are my specialties, and my playing style, I don't have a clue who it's similar to, though I'll venture a guess at Brian May, only more experimenting a la Jimi or EVH(not as extreme, but it's there). My main setup I'd switch to it is in my sig, but I occasionally fool with delay, chorus and a Big Muff Pi. With all that in mind, which would you guys recommend for me?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Dec 22, 2008,
Nevermind the Oranges. Mod the heck out of the Blues Junior and you'll get an amp for life. You can add an Effects Loop, external speaker jack, change it's voicing, whatever. That amp rocks.
Quote by JimiGrohl
pro equipment without good skills is waste of time/money

+1
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by JimiGrohl

Harsh words from someone who hasn't posted a single MP3. I'm no virtuoso, but I've been playing for five years and I can play decently, and you can't say much for yourself there and be expected to be believed as you don't have any uploaded music. =/

Quote by darkstriker
Nevermind the Oranges. Mod the heck out of the Blues Junior and you'll get an amp for life. You can add an Effects Loop, external speaker jack, change it's voicing, whatever. That amp rocks.

Hmm...will look into that I suppose. Anyone else?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I do love the rocker 30 i want one so bad....but its much cheaper in Britain (surprisingly) i can get one on gak for £600 (like $1000 at the current exchange rate)
change the speaker in the blues junior...it really comes to life then! i´ll do it with mine after christmas!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by JimiGrohl

OMG your sir are such an idiot, pardon my french, but really what do you get from saying that? Does it make you feel better? Does it make you feel like more of a man? I can assure you that I for one am not impressed, and really only get the impression that your nothing but an ignorant kid sitting at home in front of your screen being a smartass, trying to compensate for whatever you might be lacking playingwise/personality wise in real life.

And by the way, why should the average player( Im not saying you are average TS simply trying to state the absurdness of this comment) play with crappy equipment. I for one believe that the better a sound you get when you hit those strings, the more rewarding playing and practicing will be. I for one have always used higher end equipment, and a good sound has spurred me to practice more than I would have with a bad sound. Plus with great equipment you really get to hear every nuance of your playing, again making you progress faster.

TS don't listen to him. :P

As for the lack of EQ on the TT, never mind that, it has great sound in itself, so imo you really only need the tone pot on your guitar The rocker sure is a great amp too, but as you got into yourself, it too has to be played with vol. at least at 3/4 to sound its best, just like any other tube amp. And that is seriously loud. But really the 7 watts on the TT is in my experience also too loud for bedroom levels. But naturally you will be able to turn it up more than the 30W, so it will osund better.
I suggest you the TT, as it is cheaper, sound just as good, only not as loud, and is one VERY transportable little bastard. Get it and a nice 1x12 or 2x12 cab, and youll be a happy camper

Ps: the bjr wont go for that much used, so if you have the opportunity, keep it for cleans the bjr for cleans, and the TT for overdriven sounds, and you will have one NICE setup
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
Last edited by chrisdam at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by chrisdam
Ps: the bjr wont go for that much used, so if you have the opportunity, keep it for cleans the bjr for cleans, and the TT for overdriven sounds, and you will have one NICE setup

good point on that. blues juniors dont have a very high resale value, but they have a great clean tone. so out of those options i would get the tiny terror and A/B/Y it with the blues junior for really clean tones. With that choice you get 3 very different tone settings. You get fender cleans from the blues junior, a more gritty british clean from the TT and the great overdrive from the TT. I wouldnt worry about not having an eq on it either as it sounds great without one.

also as mentioned above, you could do the mods to your blues junior. ive heard some killer tones from one with only a speaker swap and a tube change. if you are going to do this, id reccomend finding a tech you like and talk to him, and tell him the sound you want and have him pick out some tubes and try it. They know the sounds of tubes and can mix match them to get your sound. Also you can add the loop and other things like stated above.