Good morning, UG low-end!

So, here's the story- my band play in drop C, but I've been using a 4-string Yamaha BB614 with Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies on it, and the strings feel like elastic bands- eugh. So, I'm wondering if it'd be better to get Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (.55s), or just to get a 5 string and play all the low C notes on the 1st fret of the B string. Problem is, there are a lot of songs where I use the low C as a drone note whilst playing stuff high up- should I just learn to string skip a little bit better and get a 5-er, or just get thicker strings for my 4-er?
Heavier strings. Better for your wallet AND in this case your playing.
Quote by goest
^Absolute. Uncompromising. 100% pure, fresh. Solid. Gold.

Quote by WCPhils
That might be my favorite shoop I have ever seen on here.

Quote by KnightBand
Yes! ****ing Yes! YOU LEGEND!!!
You could always get a 5 string then tune the B up a semitone, so you've still be able to use your C as an open string but also have 4 more strings to work with.
It depends. If you think you will need to use a 5 string to write songs later on then go for it. If you have the cash get a 5 string, if cash is tight, keep the 4 string.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Cash is indeed rather tight. That, and I want to get either an Epiphone Goth T-Bird (mahogan3h) and trick it out (put the strap button somewhere else, new pickups, new electronics, serious setup) or a Sid Vicious-looking P-Bass- 5 string 'aint really going to be an option with that!
I'd get heavier gauge strings. The low B is not a licence to not drop tune. As you pointed out yourself, you like to use the C as a drone. Maybe you should get a fiver and get heavy strings and tune it GCGCF. Either way, heavier strings is better in the situation than getting a 5 string.

If you get a five string and tune it up to drop C (CGCFA#), you'll probably have to change the tuning across the board- up 1 1/2 tones across the other strings, in fact, which means you'll have to get new strings anyway. Otherwise you'll have yourself a time transposing and flying all over the place.

Does that make sense?
^Indeed- I was waiting for you to come and make all other replies redundant!

Argh- just noticed that my Yam's neck is bowed quite significantly. Looks like it's new bass time, anyway.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Cash is indeed rather tight. That, and I want to get either an Epiphone Goth T-Bird (mahogan3h) and trick it out (put the strap button somewhere else, new pickups, new electronics, serious setup) or a Sid Vicious-looking P-Bass- 5 string 'aint really going to be an option with that!

P-Bass for sure - maybe you can make a T-Bird sound decent, but the P 5'er is the safer bet. Plus its a 5'er =D Add the heavy strings to it, and you should be doing pretty good.

I feel your pain though, i play in drop C quite a bit too, and up until i got heavy strings, i couldnt escape the "wet fart" tone. Good EQ'ing just got me a very clear and punchy wet fart
I like tuning up to CFA#D#G# on mine. I love how the strings are tight
(my other stable tuning is flat, so a whole tone up makes that much of a difference to me)

As for now? It is a lot cheaper to get heavier strings than a new instrument.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by Aidy Damage
^Indeed- I was waiting for you to come and make all other replies redundant!

Argh- just noticed that my Yam's neck is bowed quite significantly. Looks like it's new bass time, anyway.

Even if it's bowed quite significantly, you may still be able to fix it. If not, get a luthier or so to check it over. Hell, I'd do it for you if I were local
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Even if it's bowed quite significantly, you may still be able to fix it. If not, get a luthier or so to check it over. Hell, I'd do it for you if I were local

if you're anywhere near Riverside CA I'd do it for 10 bucks. (EDIT: the commute aint too bad)

though that 5er idea of Del's sound's really great. if I had any interest in metal, I would do it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've had a razz on it and got my mate who's a luthier to look at it- it's fuced. ARGH! I seriously didn't need this with my financial situation, upcoming gigs, album recording and tours. Any solutions? I really have zilcho cash!
Everyone I've asked is being pissy because:

1) I'd have to borrow it for at least a year, by the looks of it.
2)They don't want me filing the nut and generally messing with it to accomodate the really heavy strings.
3) The necks on THREE of my basses have gone- they don't trust me.

Sucks to be me.
Quote by Aidy Damage
I've had a razz on it and got my mate who's a luthier to look at it- it's fuced. ARGH! I seriously didn't need this with my financial situation, upcoming gigs, album recording and tours. Any solutions? I really have zilcho cash!

a used squier?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
I might just see if I can set up a 'bass amnesty' and get all of my band's fans to put 50p in and see what I can get- probs a VM P Bass or something.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Everyone I've asked is being pissy because:

1) I'd have to borrow it for at least a year, by the looks of it.
2)They don't want me filing the nut and generally messing with it to accomodate the really heavy strings.
3) The necks on THREE of my basses have gone- they don't trust me.

Sucks to be me.

ouch man! How did you manage 3 of them?

Id offer to loan you a bass, but uhhh...yeah just look at my location. lol.

Im trying to come up with a realistic solution to your problem, but im coming up short. Maybe try to work out a more casual borrowing plan with one of these people, promise to take better care of the bass, and maybe offer them an incentive for loaning. Like maybe buy them a new set of strings when your done with it, and have cash

Im not familiar with the availiability of rental instruments in England (or anywhere outside of Riverside county ), so maybe someone else has a better suggestion.
I'm currently trying to sort out a possible endorsement thang, but they're not getting back to me- it's been about a month, for God's sake.

And:

1st: Yamaha RBX270 (electronics)
2nd: OLP MM2 (Neck bowed)
3rd: Yamaha BB614 (Neck bowed)
the electronics might not be too hard to fix on the yamaha.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well, it's been in the attic for 7 years, so let's see how it is now!

I've got major GAS for either a T-Bird (tbh, just looks) or a Jazz after playing one a few hours ago with lots of OD. It'd have to be white with a black pickguard, though.
Quote by Aidy Damage
Well, it's been in the attic for 7 years, so let's see how it is now!

I've got major GAS for either a T-Bird (tbh, just looks) or a Jazz after playing one a few hours ago with lots of OD. It'd have to be white with a black pickguard, though.

I have that :P
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
If its really an emergency, take the electronics out of the MM or the second yamaha, and throw them in the first yamaha. I'm sure you could get something to work
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Quote by Drakathan
Heavier strings. Better for your wallet AND in this case your playing.

+1
CANNIBAL CORPSE

When the silence is gone, what have we become?
Get the heavier strings.
Drop C is cooler and more original.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by Woogles
Get the heavier strings.
Drop C is cooler and more original.

To the contrary, I probably see more drop C's in the local scenes and music in general these days than 5's. (Obviously discounting funk etc., more eluding to rock/metal genres.)
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by PimpedOutSquier
If its really an emergency, take the electronics out of the MM or the second yamaha, and throw them in the first yamaha. I'm sure you could get something to work

This.

Or, get a new neck from somewhere to go on one of the others. If you're in a pinch, SX necks are very cheap, stable for the most part, and should fit on the OLP. You might have to drill and possibly reshape the neck, but it should work and if it doesn't you're only out $40 and have the makings of a frankenbass.
edit: The hardware should swap over too.
http://www.rondomusic.com/sjpneck.html

As for the strings, heavy gauge is the way to go.

edit: Also, have you tried putting a washer under the truss rod nut? That can help the neck sometimes.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 23, 2008,
I haven't tried the washer thing, and it's hard for me to get SX necks an' all because I live in England. :p

I can easily 'bend' the neck of the Yamaha into shape, so I might take it off and clamp it like that and leave it for a few weeks or something. That, or find a hole that was 'made' for it and hope it emerges on the other side warmped into a perfectly straight neck. If you get the reference, I love you.
SX is a spanish company...there are dealers in Europe somewhere. I can't read spanish, but the dealers should be somewhere on their site.
http://www.sxguitarspain.com/index.htm

But yeah, if you haven't tried the washer, do it. It gives a little more space to pull the rod through, so it can be straightened more.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 24, 2008,
use the b->d strings off a 5 string set, you'll get your tuning and have decent string tension
Quote by dEd hOm E
use the b->d strings off a 5 string set, you'll get your tuning and have decent string tension

You can still get good tension from a set of heavy gauge strings. And I think it might be a better idea if you're using a 5 string set to skip the E string. That way, you're tuning the low B up half a step, and the rest of the strings down a step. If you used the E-D strings, then you'd be uptuning each string except the low B up 1 1/2 steps, which may result in stupidly high tension.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You can still get good tension from a set of heavy gauge strings. And I think it might be a better idea if you're using a 5 string set to skip the E string. That way, you're tuning the low B up half a step, and the rest of the strings down a step. If you used the E-D strings, then you'd be uptuning each string except the low B up 1 1/2 steps, which may result in stupidly high tension.

true, i didn't think of that
I think I'm just going to go for a heavy set. It's a shame you can't pick 'n' mix strings...