I don't know if that's what it's actually called, but I've got an Ibanez Iceman 400 and I want to lay down a piece of diamond-patterned steel (see Hetfield's Explorer for pattern) through the center of my body. As in from the tip of the body, down to the bridge pup, between the 2 pups and down from the neck pup to the neck.

Anyone that's done this, or anything similar know if it affects the sound or playing in any way?
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
It's going to add some noticeable weight. You could always do a faux finish like this one:

I actually don't mind the weight since my guitar isn't all too heavy, the sound and playability is more of what I'm concerned about. Thought that faux finish also looks pretty badass.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
It's called diamond plating . Is the top of your iceman flat of carved top.
another option you could consider would be a broken mirror like paul stanleys. it would be hard to do but you could allways paint it to look like a broken mirror.I did that onjce for a friend and it came out cool.
What's the difference between flat and carved?

And yeah I've seen the broken mirror one, it's pretty cool but it's been done. I want something really unique which is why I wanted the diamond plating with a design cut into it at the front bit of the body.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
It shouldnt affect sound or playability much at all, it shouldnt be thick enough to affect your picking.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
you can also buy diamond plate in aluminum to cut down on weight. you will also need to buy longer pots and pup selector switch. route out in the diamond plate for pups, switches, knobs, trem/bridge. you will also need to reset your pups and all your hardware since they will be sitting recessed in the metal plating you added,
flat top is...well...flat (think telecaster), while carved has a rounded top(think les paul). if its carved, forget it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Mine's a flat top, then. But reread my OP, I'm not diamond plating the entire thing. Just through the center of the body.

What are pots, by the way?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
the volume and tone knobs are called potentiometers (sp?), aka pots
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Oh alright I figured that was what he meant.
So I should ask for aluminum diamond plating...hm. The plating needs to be drilled in, of course?
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
you could also have two identical peices cut at a slant, and peice it together like it was flamed maple

that would be cool
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
^Hm, that actually sounds cool. I'll look into that
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live
i think the only way it would affect playability is if it isn't glued down well, and you could get some buzzing as parts of the diamond plate rattles against the wood of the guitar. every guitar i've seen with it looks really cool.
The guy who's helping me do it is pretty pro, so that hopefully won't happen.
Catch me,
heal me,
I choose to live