I'm wanting to move on from my classical nylon Ashton as I've been playing for over two years and really want a steel string (and think I'm ready for one) but I have a couple of dilemna/questions.

I have NO idea what I'm looking for besides the acoustic steel string aspect, non-electric.

If I go to a guitar store, do I just test out different guitars?
If so, when I'm testing them out what should I be testing...do I just play random songs to hear the sound and get the feel etc whilst the shopkeeper looks on, disgusted at my lack of talent (lol).

When you go to a guitar store to buy a guitar, what are the motions you go through, what should I be looking for and feeling with the guitar? Do the shop keepers just stand there and watch you...I'd feel pressure and probably play crap....Is there certain songs or scales or solos that you play to test if you like the guitar or not?

Thanks!
“Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.”

- unknown

“My guitar is not a thing. It is an extension of myself. It is who i am.”

- Joan Jett
Just try out some guitars, play what ever you want, chances are the guy/woman in the shop will just leave you to play and go back to w/e they were doing, that's what happens to me lol.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
tell them more or less what you're looking for (steel string acoustic) and your price range, they'll point out some guitars for you, and then probably go back to their thing and check up on you every now and again to offer a new guitar, or ask how you're going.
play anything. :P just play what you usually play, and see how the action is on the guitar, how easy it is to fret and stuff, and listen for buzzing and whatnot. since it seems like you haven't played a steel string before though, i would try out a bunch and compare them to each other, because it's going to be little bit of a different experience from a classical.
if i buy a guitar new one in shop...i 'll testing scales and feeling sound how i like .don't care shopkeeper watching u or not while u playing .if they are do that u can say that sorry u stuff like white elephant!,and then just out of here.
Quote by tylerj26
play anything. :P just play what you usually play, and see how the action is on the guitar, how easy it is to fret and stuff, and listen for buzzing and whatnot. since it seems like you haven't played a steel string before though, i would try out a bunch and compare them to each other, because it's going to be little bit of a different experience from a classical.

Cool thanks. Now to just save up a tad more and I'll be on my way.
“Any problem you can't solve with a good guitar, is either, unsolvable or isn't a problem.”

- unknown

- Joan Jett
Something that you might want to get an idea of before you get there is what sort of nut width you want to look at. Classicals tend to have a generous nut width for fingerstyle while many steel strings are around 1-11/16" for fast picking. If you are going to do some steel sting fingerstyle you might want to look for one with a slightly wider neck.
thanks i'll keep that in mind, thats really helpful.

- unknown

- Joan Jett