4 month ago my father bought me a Epiphone Sg custom with gold hardware and 3 pick-ups and, just a few seconds ago, he picked it up by the Strap and the strap broke. letting it fall to it's death.

R.I.P
Sg Custom
December 22, 08

Discuss
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

I could kick you in the stomach
And catch you unawares
I could swear to God you accidentally
Fell that flight of stairs
How do you completely demolish a guitar by dropping it? I one plenty of times(my cheapest one's strap doesn't stay on, so it will just fall randomly) and never broken it.
post a picture of the damage, it may be fixable with some titebond original and a clamp or 2
Quote by JiMbOb= < )
Can you fix it??

No, the neck has a 4-inch crack in it.
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

And catch you unawares
sorry no pics right now.
Ultra Win
Quote by GnR_ROK

“A baby’s on the way.”

And catch you unawares
How the heck did a strap break? Mine are leather and with strap locks installed you could probably swing the guitar around by the strap (not that I'd try it). Your father should replace it if he broke it to be fair! It will never be the same again after repairs if they're even possible & it'll have no resale value whatsoever.
To late for advice now but next time, store the guiatr in it's case with no strap attached. Even if temporarily leaving on a guitar stand, I'd remove the strap to avoid some klutz accidentally snagging it as they walk by.
Soory for your loss & hope your dad makes good.
Moving on.....
^already called it. dont bother selling pups, epi electronics are terrid
Already called it...

If the OP is any kind of guitarist, or son for that matter, and cared enough about his instrument to make a thread about its demise...he won't sell it.

A gift from his dad? That has meaning.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by nightraven
it's an epiphone, remember, i swear every single guitar casualty happens to gibson/epiphones

sorry about your loss, threadstarter.

No, there was that one guy who chipped his Paul Gilbert sig.

On that note - anybody remember, and can find that thread? I've looked but can't find it. He chipped his headstock of his Ibanez, and it was like... barely detectable, but he acted like it was the end of the world...

Anybody remember that? Sorry to threadjack... >.>
Quote by Flying Couch
No, there was that one guy who chipped his Paul Gilbert sig.

On that note - anybody remember, and can find that thread? I've looked but can't find it. He chipped his headstock of his Ibanez, and it was like... barely detectable, but he acted like it was the end of the world...

Anybody remember that? Sorry to threadjack... >.>

i remember that, there was the tiniest dent in the fretboard
"Swim in a lake of death, eaten by crocodiles!"

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Stagg C 442
Randall RG100G3 plus combo
Roland Cube 30X
TS9 Tubescreamer
Yeah i remember that, i was looking at the picture for a few minutes and finally found the tiny white spec....

As for TS, i'm sorry for your loss, hopefully you can fix it somehow :-/
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
You all fail, i was moaning at the reason my guitar was chipped, not the chip itself

Thus being a company ringing up telling me I'd won a free cruise resulting in the dent.....
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
I feel sorry for you. SG's are great guitars, and it's a shame that such a great guitar broke.
Did the strap break or did it just slip off the strap button? I never cared for a lot of strap buttons, Strap locks are the way to go and well worth the $20.00 investment. I have a few guitars like BC Rich and Jackson that use larger strap buttons that hold fairly well. Gibson and Fender tend to use smaller types.

I have seen so many broken and cracked necks fixed that I thought were a total losses I was amazed. Some repaired so well you would never know they were fixed but those were on expensive vintage guitars. If you can find a decent repair shop that will just reglue and clamp it but not refinish it, you might get out of it cheap. I can do my own repairs to a point but on a good or vintage guitar I prefer to get it done just because I don't need the hassle or have the time. Some repairs are actually stronger than the original neck too.

Getting a neck repair on a guitar all depends on the cost of the guitar or what it's worth. I wouldn't bother repairing a 200.00 guitar if the repair is going to cost you $150.00 but if it's a $500.00 or up guitar and the repair costs you a buck and a half it might be worth it to you.

As far as parts go the Epi pups run about $30.00 for a neck and bridge combo add $15.00 for the third pup. The bridge and electronics just a few bucks more and the body with a cracked neck probably about $50.00 and the tuners if they are Grovers another $30.00 if not 15 to 20.

John