Looking to buy an acoustic, but eh... it's not my main focus, and I'd only ever be using it to play rhythm for someone else. So; I don't want a top of the line 'teh awesomes' guitar, but rather, a dirty cheap one.

I've always been told you need to play a guitar in person before buying it. But hell, guitar stores in the UK have like, a 300% markup.

I got a pretty good idea I want either an Epiphone Dove or a Washburn DS...something. So I'm not looking for advice on WHAT guitar to get, I want advice on HOW to get it. :3
"Levelled up. Still no solos."
[img]http://sc2sig.com/s/eu/1405270-1.png[/img]
Yeah eBay's fine. I bought my acoustic from eBay and it's amazing.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
my friends have bought from ebay and they had no problems so have at it
Quote by anonymous;
"Why drink and drive When you can smoke and fly?"

Quote by maximus_OD;
You know if we ever wanted to hear lip from you I would get it off my zipper
Ebay works fine with me.
As long as you know the specs of a guitar and how it feels (Ex: If you know the difference between the feel of an ebony fretboard to a rosewood. Or a wizard II neck compared to a 'boat' neck ), you can get a basic idea.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I got an Epiphone of off eBay that motivated me to sell a PRS.

You can get some good shit on eBay.
Ebay is probably more reliable than a local pawn shop.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Flying Couch
I got an Epiphone of off eBay that motivated me to sell a PRS.

You can get some good shit on eBay.

Let me be the first to say:

FUCKING FAIL
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Seth Shadows

FUCKING FAIL

You DO know that there are crappy PRS models, right?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas

...that are miles better than epiphone.
Would you trade bear shit in an airtight, gorgeous container for a human shit in an even uglier container that wasnt airtight??

No? that's what I thought.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Clearly neither one of you have played a higher end Epiphone.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Seth Shadows

FUCKING FAIL

This.

You sold a PRS for an Epiphone?

Just. No.

NO.
YOU HEAR ME?!

EDIT;

To thsrayas;

Oh, fxck you.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by Carl6661
This.

You sold a PRS for an Epiphone?

Just. No.

NO.
YOU HEAR ME?!

Says the person with a A7X avatar.

See, I can be a total dumbass too.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by thsrayas
Clearly neither one of you have played a higher end Epiphone.

I used to own a DarkFire.
I've played a slash Signature as well.
High enough for you?
They suck. Hard.
For anyone who wants to play anything with any moderate skill.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by marko'd
wow all of you PRS boys really are stuck to that waggon of yours

I'm going on my expeiance. I am a left handed player and I have only ever played a right handed PRS and it felt great to play and sounds awesome. I have an Epi Les Paul and while it is OK the quality of the instrument is no where near as good as a PRS.

Im not stuck to any bandwagon. If I was do you really think I would own a Musicman Axis. One of the most underrated guitars out there.

My argument is PRs IMO is far better than Epiphone.
Quote by Seth Shadows

FUCKING FAIL

The Epiphone kills the PRS, especially considerings it's a tenth of the price. There was no justification.

PRS is overrated anyway.
Quote by Seth Shadows
I used to own a DarkFire.
I've played a slash Signature as well.
High enough for you?
They suck. Hard.
For anyone who wants to play anything with any moderate skill.

No, it isn't. Signature guitars are overrated and typically suck. If you've only played two Epiphones then your opinion is void, you haven't played enough to say they all suck.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Flying Couch
The Epiphone kills the PRS, especially considerings it's a tenth of the price. There was no justification.

PRS is overrated anyway.

Don't get me wrong; for the money Epiphone is pretty good.

But they're not so good that it's worth selling a PRS to get one.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
Don't get me wrong; for the money Epiphone is pretty good.

But they're not so good that it's worth selling a PRS to get one.

Mine is.
Quote by Flying Couch
Mine is.

What models were the PRS and Epiphone in question?
Either way it doesn't matter, if he likes the Epiphone more than the PRS then why do you care? It's better for him so he's going to use it.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by Carl6661
What models were the PRS and Epiphone in question?

An American-made PRS Singlecut and an Epiphone Alleykat. I had to rplace the pickups - get rid of Epis thin electronics - but it's action and etc. were all top-class. Epiphone seems to hold the orinigal models, such as mine, to a much higer standard than their Gibbo clones.
They're both made in korea anyways.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Flying Couch
Mine is.

Lol, shall we leave it there then. If your happy with what you bought then why should we tell you what you have bought is wrong.

...but PRS is better than Epi IMO
Quote by thsrayas
No, it isn't. Signature guitars are overrated and typically suck. If you've only played two Epiphones then your opinion is void, you haven't played enough to say they all suck.

I'm not so big on PRS either to be honest, as neither hold a candle to Ibanez.
I've played others too, Like a Low-End lespaul (I presume as it only cost $700) and a Masterbilt cutaway (which wasn't so bad, but I'm not so big on acoustic guitars in general.)
But I really can't STAND 22 frets, 2 pickups, baseball bat style neck and the extreme lack of tremolo.

Epiphone is made for rock, which primarily consists of power chords, shift slides and Full Step bends.
Which is only a fraction of what I like to do when I play guitar.
But yes, you can play metal, but it's not for me. The hardware on a PRS is far beyond anything to what epiphone can come up with, or make.

In my opinion, PRS is superior.

EDIT:

Quote by thsrayas
Either way it doesn't matter, if he likes the Epiphone more than the PRS then why do you care? It's better for him so he's going to use it.

This.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Quote by Flying Couch
Mine is.

Mm, people on the internet seem to only judge by what's on the headstock. A vinyl printed on a piece of wood between the tuners doesn't make or break the way a guitar sounds, it's almost a placebo effect really; someone sees "PRS" on a guitar and automatically set themself to think it will sound awesome, and with "Epiphone" people automatically think it will sound average.

An average guitar that works for your handshape and sound/style is better than an expensive guitar which doesn't suit your style/handshape.
Quote by Flying Couch
An American-made PRS Singlecut and an Epiphone Alleykat. I had to rplace the pickups - get rid of Epis thin electronics - but it's action and etc. were all top-class. Epiphone seems to hold the orinigal models, such as mine, to a much higer standard than their Gibbo clones.

Well, In the end it all boils down to opinion.

Personally I don't see how Epiphone could touch on PRS.
Although; I've never had the chance to play an Alleykay, the closest thing I've played to one would be an Epiphone Es335, which was actually quite nice to play.
Quote by Seth Shadows
I'm not so big on PRS either to be honest, as neither hold a candle to Ibanez.
I've played others too, Like a Low-End lespaul (I presume as it only cost $700) and a Masterbilt cutaway (which wasn't so bad, but I'm not so big on acoustic guitars in general.)
But I really can't STAND 22 frets, 2 pickups, baseball bat style neck and the extreme lack of tremolo.

Epiphone is made for rock, which primarily consists of power chords, shift slides and Full Step bends.
Which is only a fraction of what I like to do when I play guitar.
But yes, you can play metal, but it's not for me. The hardware on a PRS is far beyond anything to what epiphone can come up with, or make.

In my opinion, PRS is superior.

EDIT:

This.

Even though we have reached an agreement I would just like to point out that I could say that Ibanez sucks just because the few that I have played were pretty crappy. Even though the ones I played were lower end and I'm sure their high end models are amazing. People on here tend so make blanket statements on products even though they have only tried a couple models. (You'll see it a lot in GGA: people saying Line 6 sucks even though they've only tried a Spider and haven't tried a Vetta or they'll say Digitech sucks even though they haven't tried the Hardwire series.)
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Try out Thomann.

Google it. Some great stuff on there. As for what guitar you might get, you might want to consider a Yamaha FG730s, which is on Thomann at a very nice price.

Yes, ebay can be worth it.

And about the stupid Epi vs PRS debate, I mean, seriously, it all comes down to personal choice. Don't let these naysayers make you warp your own opinion to fit theirs.
I bought my fender MIM strat off of there and it wasn't a problem at all. You just have to be careful that when you're buying higher end stuff (gibsons apparently have this problem) is people sell knock offs on there as the real thing.

But since you're just looking for a beater guitar that won't be a problem. I'd say go for it.
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you
Quote by dandadog
Mm, people on the internet seem to only judge by what's on the headstock. A vinyl printed on a piece of wood between the tuners doesn't make or break the way a guitar sounds, it's almost a placebo effect really; someone sees "PRS" on a guitar and automatically set themself to think it will sound awesome, and with "Epiphone" people automatically think it will sound average.

An average guitar that works for your handshape and sound/style is better than an expensive guitar which doesn't suit your style/handshape.

Very true.

Ive played fender MIM's i like loads better than Lo end Gibson's like the studios.

And just cause of the way the neck is shaped on Epis its the same reason i like it better than Gibson studios, Studios are to bulgy in my opinion overpriced.

They dont got a thing on an Epis Standard with a pup and nut change.