Ok... Well since I got my RM4/2:90 setup, I want to buy some other stuff to go with it.

First up - Power conditioner.

I was thinking the Furman PL+, but there's also the ART SP 4x4 and some others that get good reviews for their price as well.

Would like to stay in the ~$150 range, used. Suggestions?

Second - Another preamp.

The Solid State preamps I keep seeing look pretty cool and are cheap, but I'm really hesitant to go with one because I think I'd rather go tube. I've been looking into the ADA MP-1, Marshall JMP-1, Peavey Rockmaster, Engl 530, etc.

I want something with a big low-end, but not overly dark. Really, I'd like something similar to my VH-140C, but then I think I'm kinda contradicting myself with that one and saying I don't want a SS pre Maybe something similar to a 5150 or a Recto, doesn't really matter as long as it mixes well with the RM4. Cleans to low-gain aren't really important. Must be MIDI compatible.

Would like to keep this under $500.

Third - MIDI controller.

I was going to buy the 4-button footswitch for the RM4, but then FLCL said that I'd need something different to control two preamps at once.

What I want is something that I can step on one button and it goes to the clean sound of both preamps and then i step on another and it goes to a different patch, etc. I really don't need tons of buttons (maybe 6 or so at most), which is why I'm hesitant about buying a Behringer FCB 1010 or a Ground Control.

The cheaper the better, but I want something that's not going to die on me. Would like to keep this within $200 if possible.

Help?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I have the ART SP 4x4, it's never failed me. And isn't too expensive.

Scope around eBay for a Carvin Quad-X pre-amp. I've had mine for several months now and it's a beast! MIDI compatible, 4 channels, graphic EQ, boost and bright switches, and a built in noise-gate. Bought it for $400. The ENGL 530 sounds like it's up your alley as well though, never tried it.

Tech 21 Midi Moose?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
1. To be perfectly honest, the Furman Merit Series is really all most people need. The PL series has slightly better specs. Most power conditioners charge you a fortune for a bunch of features that you'll never actually use (voltmeter, lights, etc).

2. Regarding preamps, there's a lot of misconceptions as to what really is a tube preamp and what really is a solid state preamp. Stuff like the Marshall JMP-1 actually has more in common with the preamp section in an AVT than with any real tube amp. Then again, stuff like the Fractal AxeFX is a digital unit that widely considered to sound way better than most tube amps on the market. If you want Midi capability, versatility, a suitable price point, and amazing tone, look at the Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1.

3. If you don't need anything crazy, but do need some control over stuff more than simple program change data, look at the Rocktron Midi Mate. It's outstanding for the price. Something you may want to think about is buying a really nice full featured controller right now, and never having to worry about one ever again. Stuff like the Axess FX-1, Rocktron All Access, and CAE RS-10 will give you more capability than you will probably ever need, and will last pretty much forever. The general rule with Midi controllers is to always make sure it has enough capacity to deal with the stuff you haven't bought yet, but inevitably will.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
1. To be perfectly honest, the Furman Merit Series is really all most people need. The PL series has slightly better specs. Most power conditioners charge you a fortune for a bunch of features that you'll never actually use (voltmeter, lights, etc).

Well, I found a PL+ for $80 which is why I asked. I hear a lot of people always talking about these as the "Standard" so I figured it'd be worth a shot for the price. The reviews I read on the Merit series all seem to be pretty mixed as to if they actually work how they're supposed to or not.

Quote by Kendall
2. Regarding preamps, there's a lot of misconceptions as to what really is a tube preamp and what really is a solid state preamp. Stuff like the Marshall JMP-1 actually has more in common with the preamp section in an AVT than with any real tube amp. Then again, stuff like the Fractal AxeFX is a digital unit that widely considered to sound way better than most tube amps on the market. If you want Midi capability, versatility, a suitable price point, and amazing tone, look at the Tech21 SansAmp PSA 1.1.

I'd heard this from others as well that many "tube" preamps really aren't true tube preamps, but I also don't think I want to spend money on a cheap solid state preamp that I won't really end up liking or will break down on me. For the most part, tube stuff seems to be built better, even if there's only 1 or 2 in it

I had been looking at the PSA though. Basically, versatility isn't really needed, the RM4 covers that, I just need something to be able to layer over the cleans so it doesn't sound off, or I can just use it for gain. Really, I just need something good for high gain rhythm that has a lot of clarity, lead tones really aren't too important, I can work with whatever.

I also found a Peavey Rockmaster for $50, I don't think they're MIDI capable though? But for $50, I could live with it for now

Quote by Kendall
3. If you don't need anything crazy, but do need some control over stuff more than simple program change data, look at the Rocktron Midi Mate. It's outstanding for the price. Something you may want to think about is buying a really nice full featured controller right now, and never having to worry about one ever again. Stuff like the Axess FX-1, Rocktron All Access, and CAE RS-10 will give you more capability than you will probably ever need, and will last pretty much forever. The general rule with Midi controllers is to always make sure it has enough capacity to deal with the stuff you haven't bought yet, but inevitably will.

I'd love to get one of those huge MIDI boards, but $1000 is a little too much, especially when that's about half, or more than half of what the RM4 and 2:90 would've cost if I bought them used.

I found a used Midimate for $90 though, looks interesting, might give it a shot.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
hey man, definately get the furman, if you can get the pl for 80 thats sweet, i got a new M-8Lx for 50 on ebay, id look there. but I have a ground control also, (the original, see pics in my profile if you want). but the ground control is worth the money, do it, you seriously wont regret. then you can switch all of your analogue and rack effects if you use any and they are not in your signal chain. you can seriously get a used ground control switcher and foot pedal for much less than $600. if you really want a pro rig this will take you next level- worth every penny.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Off-topic: you already sold your Diezel?!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Get a voodoo modded JMP-1.

I was floored. I am good friends with michael wilton of queensryche and he's got one paired with a marshall monobloc 9100 poweramp, and it was just 4 channels of bliss. Soo smooth.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by hoondog
hey man, definately get the furman, if you can get the pl for 80 thats sweet, i got a new M-8Lx for 50 on ebay, id look there. but I have a ground control also, (the original, see pics in my profile if you want). but the ground control is worth the money, do it, you seriously wont regret. then you can switch all of your analogue and rack effects if you use any and they are not in your signal chain. you can seriously get a used ground control switcher and foot pedal for much less than $600. if you really want a pro rig this will take you next level- worth every penny.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Quote by aznrockerdude
Off-topic: you already sold your Diezel?!

That's a long story. I never sold it, I traded my RK back for it and traded the RK for the RM4 and 2:90.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

That's a long story. I never sold it, I traded my RK back for it and traded the RK for the RM4 and 2:90.

I wish I could trade amps like you do...

I don't know much about preamps, but alot of people praise ADA MP-1's: there are lots of mods for it on the internet too, but I have no idea if they're any good.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?