hey guys. I'm just wondering what you guys think of VBR (variable bit rate encoding). I know what it is and to me it seems to sound better. I was just wondering what you guys thought to see if other people think it sounds good/ better.
leave some milk for the cows!!!!!!
nerd!

jk
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Well ideally you should select 320 bitrate. Or if you're listening to this audio on your PC and backing storage space isn't really an issue, a codec like FLAC is probably your best bet if you're looking for very high audio quality.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
320 wav is good enough imo, because itunes does not fvcking support flac.
twatters
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
Quote by ManicBluesist
320 wav is good enough imo, because itunes does not fvcking support flac.
twatters

that's why smart people don't use iTunes. VBR is fine, you really aren't going to notice the difference between that and a lossless file unless you are using really high end hi-fi stuff anyway.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Variable bit rate isn't supposed to sound better than constant...it lowers itself according to passages in the music to save space. In any case, I use it all the time if I'm not using Flac (through Winamp)...it runs 256-320kbps and sounds fine.

For Flac, I hacked my iPod using Rockbox. It's worth it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers

is it really worth the extra space? especially on something with not so great sound quality like the iPod? I can't imagine being able to tell much of a difference on one of those.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
It doesn't take up much room (granted I have a 30gb) but there is a noticeable difference. At the very least, you aren't restricted to the file formats that iTunes can play, and there are other features (10 band EQ, skins, the ability to treat your iPod as a normal hard disk without complications) that are worthwhile. You can always hard reset if you don't like it.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Variable bit rate isn't supposed to sound better than constant...it lowers itself according to passages in the music to save space. In any case, I use it all the time if I'm not using Flac (through Winamp)...it runs 256-320kbps and sounds fine.

On a related note, do you guys think they will ever make Rockbox, or something like it, for iPod classic? I REALLY want it.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that's why smart people don't use iTunes..

This.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!