Well, I've been looking around and I really don't understand how to. I don't really have a basic concept of it or anything like that. Can someone give me a link to a site that explains it well or just tell me in detail how to do it. Thanks.
Use thirds, forths fifths or octaves
Quote by elliott FTW
I LOVE YOU SLOGANKID
silly racist bitch finally kicked the bucket

Say you're playing 3rd fret on the E string, you'd play 5th fret on the A string and so on and so forth.

Well that's fifths at least I think.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Harmonizing A Scale
The next step in knowing how to construct a chord progression is knowing how to harmonize a scale. This may sound difficult, but in fact it really isn't. What we are going to do, in fact, is:

1. We take a scale (Major or Minor)
2. With every note in the scale, we construct triads using only the notes in that scale
3. We now have a "harmonized scale": a sequence of 7 chords (triads), rather than the "regular" scale which is a sequence of 7 notes...

More about this @ The Ultimate Guide To Guitar. Chapter II: 3 Chords - Basic Chord Progressions
Many thanks to ZeGuitarist
I must stop wasting time in The Pit and practice!
A simple harmony would be to play a riff around the first 5 frets, and then have someone else play it an octave above, on the 12-15th frets. Pretty much just take the riff your playing, and move it around the fretboard for someone else to play. Most of the time its to a degree of the note, like the 3rd, 5th, even 7th if you want dissonant harmonies. If you know intervals, you should be able to figure out harmonies and how to harmonize.
Record a riff, and play some random stuff along with it!!!! its the best way to find stuff, screw theory, go with your ears!!!
R.I.P DIMEBAG.
Octave harmonizing is the easiest way (imo). Like the guy above said, play something in whatever fret (up to the eleventh) and then play the same thing like your 12ft fret was your first fret.

So, if you're playing 1-3-5 on the high E string, you would harmonize the notes by playing 13-15-17 on the same string

Here's a link to a guy showing how to harmonize with 3rd's 5th's and 7th's too (same principle i think). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-3KvkpN_QE
Last edited by el rulfo at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by metalmagic!
Record a riff, and play some random stuff along with it!!!! its the best way to find stuff, screw theory, go with your ears!!!

The best way to find nice harmonies is to learn your theory and then improvise around it.

So yeah, learn your basic theory.
Quote by tylerj26
but octave harmonizing doesn't sound nearly as cool

ya i think #4ths is better :P
Listen to "are you gonna go my way" by lenny kravitz and tell me that isn't cool octave harmony!

You can harmonize with any interval/s technically.

(Invalid img)

Stop telling this guy to learn music theory though guys when most of you don't seem too familiar with it. Thats correct, but using the proper names is usually needed, a minor third is a semitone from a major third for example.

Common guitar harmonies used are:

Perfect 4ths (thin lizzy!)

Perfect Octaves (lenny kravitz)

Major 6ths. (more thin lizzy)
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
?

Thin Lizzy tended to use diatonic thirds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First off, you have to know what key the passage is in. For example, let's use a D minor scale, which consists of the following notes:

D E F G A Bb C (D)

Which are classified as follows:

D : Root
E : Second
F : Third
And so on until the next D, which is an octave.

We've established the key. Now let's say we have a passage in a I-IV-V-I progression, that is to say that the chords being used have the root of the first, fourth, and fifth notes in the scale, so the first would be D minor (D F A), G (G B D), A minor (A C E), and then back to D minor.

Let's construct a run here:

D F G D E G Bb G D A G A C E F E C D E F D

If we wanted to harmonize it in thirds, we would simply add the note two notes up in the scale:

F A Bb F G Bb D Bb F E Bb C E G A G E F G A F

Of course we wouldn't because using the same interval over and over again gets really boring, but you can choose any interval depending on the sound you want to achieve.
Corona Corona
jsut take as many notes as you want to harmonize from a certain key, and play them...its pretty simple, the easiest ones are just playing chords..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground