Hi, I have just bought a Fender Classic Player 60's Strat and was wondering how the pick ups should be positioned. I've noticed on pictures that some seem to be tipped down on an angle as if to make them quiter on either the treble or bass side. If this is right how do I decide how to set them? Is there a rule to go by or is it a case of what sounds good??

Also, I'm getting fret buzz but only from the low E string. My action is quite high anyway and my neck relief seems fine and I though if it was something like the neck then this would affect all the strings??!! I read somewhere that the string should be so high from the fret wire for a specific neck radius so if thats the case what would it be for a 12mm radius neck??
Last edited by Strats My Boy at Dec 22, 2008,
it's just what sounds good to you, no rules for that kinda stuff. just tinker with the height on both ends until you like the sound.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
For string buzz try to figure out specifically where the buzz is coming from. It could be that the nut isn't raised enough.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Thanks. It seems to buzz anywhere from the 2/3rd fret up to ......all the way. Its okay when I play the open string .........
Quote by SLD.Potato
For string buzz try to figure out specifically where the buzz is coming from. It could be that the nut isn't raised enough.

String buzz has nothing to do with pickup heighth, and you cannot raise and lower a nut! WTF?
Just raise the Low E a little at a time until it stops buzzing.

As for the pick up height if they are too high the magnets will pull the strings into the fret board when you play and the strings will buzz against the frets. Too high pickups will not sound good, will cause problems with intonation and cause warble on the lower strings.