Which should I get and why

RG2EX1

RG321MH

I really like the looks of the RG2 more but I don't mind getting the RG321 if it's the better guitar for me. Can anyone explain the differences between the 2, and which is better suited for metal but versatile at the same time?

I'm leaning towards getting the RG321 now, but I saw this Agile PS970
It's specs are almost identical to the RG321's but it looks incredibly better and costs $25 more. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Frosted Flakes at Dec 23, 2008,
they are the same guitar with different finishes and pickups.

Id go with the 2EX1, the white is way nicer. I always thought that the pickups in that one were EMG-designed, but it says they are the V8-V7?
Just to clear the pickups up, theyre ibanez pickups that were designed by EMG, the white guitar has ****ty wood, HORRIBLE pickups, uncomfortable unbound fretboard, and the other guitar has way better pickups, good bodywood, a bound fretboard and the same bridge electronics and hardware. Seems like the choice is clear to me...
Schecter Gryphon if you can afford the extra fifty dollars, do yourself a favor this plays and feels much more like a real guitar than either of those ibanez's...or if you cant, try these
Omen 6
ESP somethinorother
the last guitar, will feel and play the nicest with that quilted maple top and maple fretboard, pickups are iffy, but the pickups are iffy on almost every guitar in that price range...
Quote by Devdude25
Just to clear the pickups up, theyre ibanez pickups that were designed by EMG, the white guitar has ****ty wood, HORRIBLE pickups, uncomfortable unbound fretboard, and the other guitar has way better pickups, good bodywood, a bound fretboard and the same bridge electronics and hardware. Seems like the choice is clear to me...
Schecter Gryphon if you can afford the extra fifty dollars, do yourself a favor this plays and feels much more like a real guitar than either of those ibanez's...or if you cant, try these
Omen 6
ESP somethinorother
the last guitar, will feel and play the nicest with that quilted maple top and maple fretboard, pickups are iffy, but the pickups are iffy on almost every guitar in that price range...

First of all youre and idiot. I have rgr321ex which is same with rg2ex1 but reversed headstock. So rg2ex1 and rg321mh probably have the same wood quality since they are in the same price range just different type. rg2ex1 has cheap pickups yes but they are not horrible for the price and quality is still nearly same with rg321mh and also they have nearly the same fretboard and wizard II necks which are great. So shut up they are nearly the same guitars.
Quote by blind.quardian
First of all youre and idiot. I have rgr321ex which is same with rg2ex1 but reversed headstock. So rg2ex1 and rg321mh probably have the same wood quality since they are in the same price range just different type. rg2ex1 has cheap pickups yes but they are not horrible for the price and quality is still nearly same with rg321mh and also they have nearly the same fretboard and wizard II necks which are great. So shut up they are nearly the same guitars.

1. No, they are not the same guitar not nearly, since they look the same, they have the same wood? NO the white one has a basswood body, and the other has a mahogony body, resulting in a much varied tone in the instruments as well as the value of the sustain that the guitar would have.

2. The pups are not nearly the same one is an EMG pickups trying to masquerade as a high gain pickup. IT FAILS, its hummy cumbersome with effects and hard to get a clean tone out of, the ibanez pickups know that they are constructed with cheap materials and does a good job of getting varying tones out of that guitar. However both pale in comparison to the duncan designed pups on the schecter.

3. Ive been playing way longer than you. I almost know it if your arguing the quality of a pickup on guitar that costs less than $600, the pups alone on mine were $300, so I know what tone I want, Ive taken music theory courses in college, Ive made a living off playing my instrument, and I take pride in knowing what is "quality" and what is a "name" any ibanez for under $500 maybe $600, and your paying for wood with a name on it. I dont see why im an idiot for trying to help a beginner make a crucial decision like picking a quality guitar to practice. Dont be an asshole. It doesnt help the kid get his Christmas present any does it?
So lets start...

1. I said that the wood would be nearly the same quality and different type. So you dont have to say one is basswood one is mahogany i know it well...Also the different wood wouldnt make the guitar much varied only it would have it characterictics. As far as i know mahogany has a warmer darker tone while basswood between mahogany and trebly alder.

2. Both 300 dollar guitars both ibanez pickups only different name. I use the emg desinged pickup know and im happy with it at both hi gain and cleans so if you havent tried it dont comment and where the hell schecter came from? were talking about ibanez.

3.Yes youve been playing way longer than me but how could you know it. Dont say things you cant be sure. I dont care how much your pickups cost. I dont care what courses you took. I dont care what else you have done. It doesnt make you master of guitar knowledge.

4.They are both 300 dollar guitars same quality same brand but different characterictics only and that is only preference. You cant say rg321mh is a much better guitar i use rgr321ex and its a great guitar i have some money know i still cant decide what better guitar i can get. If im not mistaken after the months i spent on this forum, not many experienced people would agree with you...at least i hope so...
I believe the RG321MH is probably better because Mahogany>Basswood. Lots of good guitars are made from Mahogany (look at Gibson). I have also heard Mahogany offers more sustain. Finish looks better on the RG321MH in my opinion.
Quote by blind.quardian
So lets start...

1. I said that the wood would be nearly the same quality and different type. So you dont have to say one is basswood one is mahogany i know it well...Also the different wood wouldnt make the guitar much varied only it would have it characterictics. As far as i know mahogany has a warmer darker tone while basswood between mahogany and trebly alder.

2. Both 300 dollar guitars both ibanez pickups only different name. I use the emg desinged pickup know and im happy with it at both hi gain and cleans so if you havent tried it dont comment and where the hell schecter came from? were talking about ibanez.

3.Yes youve been playing way longer than me but how could you know it. Dont say things you cant be sure. I dont care how much your pickups cost. I dont care what courses you took. I dont care what else you have done. It doesnt make you master of guitar knowledge.

4.They are both 300 dollar guitars same quality same brand but different characterictics only and that is only preference. You cant say rg321mh is a much better guitar i use rgr321ex and its a great guitar i have some money know i still cant decide what better guitar i can get. If im not mistaken after the months i spent on this forum, not many experienced people would agree with you...at least i hope so...

Just shut the hell up, I know Ive been playing for longer than you, because you think two similar guitars in price are equally as similar in quality. I dont like either ibanez's to be honest, but this isnt a thread for you, so stop acting like it. Yes the differences were minor, but most good guitar players have their own preferences for a reason. I put a schecter on the post with a link if you didnt notice that is better than either ibanez. Low end ibanez guitars suck dick. The pit knows this well...and all of these things are what make me a master of guitar knowledge. I never professed to be, but I do know what sounds good to an experienced ear, and what good wood feels like resonating in my experienced hands. and yes ive played on both the INF7-8 combo on the better ibanez, and the emg designed pups on the other, and if you cant tell that the emgs are **** you need to clean the wax out of your silly ears
Last edited by Devdude25 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by MegaCutMan
I believe the RG321MH is probably better because Mahogany>Basswood. Lots of good guitars are made from Mahogany (look at Gibson). I have also heard Mahogany offers more sustain. Finish looks better on the RG321MH in my opinion.

Mahogany is not better than basswood its just a preference. dont be a noob. So look at esp sv standart for alder there are ibanez jems made of basswood.

@ Devdude

They are both same quality guitars you cant judge the guitar from wood they are both different woods that have different characterictics. You said that low end ibanez sucks and thats not true. Rg2ex1 is probably the most advised 300 dollar guitar in this forum. Also there is no such thing as INF 7-8... they are inf 3-4s which are low end ibanez pickups. Emg design and inf 3-4 are both crap if you compare them to seymour duncans or active emgs. For their price they are good pickups and i like emg designed pickups on my guitar so please dont write more stupid comments cos you dont even know what youre talking about.
egos instead of advice. That's why I love UG!

To the TS,
I've got the RG3EXQM1 which is the same as the RG2 except that it's got a quilted maple top. I've got the "EMG Designed" buckers on mine. I find that for medium and high gain rhythm type playing, they sound great. They're edgy and give a nice searing tone. Unfortunately, those same characteristics make them a bit piercing if you get above the 9th or 10th fret. They're also a bit sterile when playing clean. I intend to upgrade the pickups in the future. However, overall I'm very happy with the guitar. Mine has the basswood body, and I'm very happy with the sustain I get. I'm one of those people who thinks that the type of wood is really not terribly important, especially when talking about cheap guitars. A $300 guitar isn't exactly going to get a high quality piece of old growth mahogony, now is it? In this price range, everything is going to get a cheap slab of crap no matter what the particular material is. But, I'm also of the belief that the type of wood plays only a very minor role in the overall sound. The amplifier and the pickups are what will determine 99% of your tone, and if you're playing with gain, the body material will be even less important. Anyway, back to the guitar. For the money, I'm quite happy with the build quality and playability. I'm not super fond of the D-shaped neck (I prefer a thicker neck), but the finish on the neck makes it very easy to play.

I think that overall, either of those guitars will be fine. They are more similar than they are different, and in either case, I find the playability of the guitar to be more important than the pickups, because you can always change those later to suit your particular tastes. In this price range, neither pickup is going to be stellar.
Quote by blind.quardian
Mahogany is not better than basswood its just a preference. dont be a noob. So look at esp sv standart for alder there are ibanez jems made of basswood.

shut up
Mahogany is a way better quaility and sounding wood than basswood

and the jem is overrated just a bit
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Quote by led/head
shut up
Mahogany is a way better quaility and sounding wood than basswood

and the jem is overrated just a bit

OMG where all these noobs came from

So ok RG321MH has better wood that a PGM301 then? dont talk stupid the mahogany used on a 300 dollar guitar is not same with the one used in a gibson. You just cant say mahogany is a way better sounding wood than basswood...it will just prove you know nothing...
Quote by blind.quardian

I'm just stating the obvious in my post. Mahogany wood is still Mahogany. I never said the quality WAS of a Gibson, just saying that Gibson uses Mahogany.

Well, TS, I think you should go out and play each. Find the strengths/weaknesses of each guitar. Test sustain, tone, feel etc. That's the only true way of figuring out which guitar is better for you.
Quote by blind.quardian
OMG where all these noobs came from

So ok RG321MH has better wood that a PGM301 then? dont talk stupid the mahogany used on a 300 dollar guitar is not same with the one used in a gibson. You just cant say mahogany is a way better sounding wood than basswood...it will just prove you know nothing...

alright jackass
so there are now two different kind of mahogany wood?

and mahogany is a better sounding and richer quaility wood
basswood is lighter and it still sounds good but its not as thick (warm) a wood as mahongany
the other guy you were arguing with is right and your an idiot
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
I just stopped posting, because I knew that guy was a jackass, and just digging the hole even deeper for himself, I dont play high-gain only music, I like jazz, and am a lead guitar player in a melodic band. I need a lot of differing tones from my pickups. Therefore, I dont like pickups that limit themselves to one "signature" tone. EMG says "signature" I say "****" take what you will. The pit has spoken... I may sig the previous post. Kudos.
Quote by led/head
alright jackass

basswood is lighter and it still sounds good but its not as thick (warm) a wood as mahongany

You sir, are an idiot.

Yes, there are more than two different kinds of mahongany *nudge nudge*. How the wood actually sounds depends on where it has grown and under which conditions.
Do you really think it's the same wood in a 300$ Ibby as in a 3000$ Gibson?
If it's better than basswood, why do you think Steve Vai, Petrucci, Paul Gilbert and tons of other players uses basswood in their signatures? Different woods have different tonal uses.
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by blind.quardian

@ Devdude

They are both same quality guitars you cant judge the guitar from wood they are both different woods that have different characterictics. You said that low end ibanez sucks and thats not true. Rg2ex1 is probably the most advised 300 dollar guitar in this forum. Also there is no such thing as INF 7-8... they are inf 3-4s which are low end ibanez pickups. Emg design and inf 3-4 are both crap if you compare them to seymour duncans or active emgs. For their price they are good pickups and i like emg designed pickups on my guitar so please dont write more stupid comments cos you dont even know what youre talking about.

And just to poke the stupid bear even more, for opening his stupid mouth where it isnt qualified to belong, They are Ibanez INF V7-V8 combo on the white guitar. Go look at the link you buffoon. For the record as well...most Gibsons that have a mahogany body, you know those gibsons that were never being compared to a $300 Ibanez, those gibsons usually have a quilted maple top that is chambered over the mahogany frame of a body. Just to clear that up for stupid people ever thinking that comparison was anywhere near valid. The quality of the wood in a gibson lp and 300 dollar ibanez is that the wood that makes the famed sustain of a les paul is actually chambered maple. Not quality wood. But it does also help that when a gibson lp is made they use ***** maple wood.

Go take your guitar and ram it up your ass. It will be much more fruitful for you than any career you could have in music with your attitude.
Quote by Devdude25

3. Ive been playing way longer than you. I almost know it if your arguing the quality of a pickup on guitar that costs less than $600, the pups alone on mine were $300, so I know what tone I want, Ive taken music theory courses in college, Ive made a living off playing my instrument, and I take pride in knowing what is "quality" and what is a "name" any ibanez for under $500 maybe $600, and your paying for wood with a name on it. I dont see why im an idiot for trying to help a beginner make a crucial decision like picking a quality guitar to practice. Dont be an asshole. It doesnt help the kid get his Christmas present any does it?

Ibanez makes great cheap guitars.

Quote by led/head
alright jackass

There is a difference between high quality mahogany and cheap mahogany. I'd take basswood over mahogany everyday, it's just a matter of preference. You are the idiot.

Quote by Devdude25
Go take your guitar and ram it up your ass. It will be much more fruitful for you than any career you could have in music with your attitude.

Quote by Devdude25
****** about melodic band and stuff**

You are an asshole.

To the TS: Both are good guitars for the price, get the one you like the most.
ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by DespisedIcon at Dec 22, 2008,
Thanks alot guys for all the help. Didn't mean for an argument to break out, but I guess I learned something from it lol. I'm leaning towards getting the RG321 now, but I saw this Agile PS970
It's specs are almost identical to the RG321's but it looks incredibly better and costs $25 more. What do you guys think?
that devdude guy is an assclown

at $300 the colour of a guitar means much more than the difference between mahogany or basswood.

And i have the INF 3 & 4 in my iceman and they are fine. Of course id rather have SDs in it, but the INFs work allright for any kind of music.

AND any ibanez under 600 is a piece of wood with a name on it? thats just fuckin ridiculous.
About that Agile you mentioned, can you deal with the frustrations by the FR tremolo? If your fine with that, then all means go for it. Agile has a good reputation.
I've been playing an RG2EX1 for two years now. I've tried several $1000 and up guitars, as well as ran my RG through several different effects chains and many different amps. To the guy who says the pickups are horrible, go kill yourself. The reason why the guitar costs $300 is because of the pickups. Not everybody has money for $300 pickup sets, so don't expect that kind of quality. The RG2EX1 is a BEGINNER's guitar. It's great for starters. The price is right, and it beats the crap out of any other $300 piece of junk I've played. That schecter you recommended? garbage. My friend bought one and it was the most uncomfortable piece of crap I'd ever played. The neck was thick as a mother ****er and sticky, the pickups were weak and by default scooped half your mids out.

Right now I play a Jackson RR3, just got it two days ago. Amazing axe but also $750. If you're looking for a $300 guitar, the RG2EX1 has held me for over 2 years and still plays exactly as well as it did when I first got it. That thing will last you for-****ing-ever. Someday when you get more cash, by all means replace the pickups, nobody ever said they were fantastic. But they're the best you'll find in that range, the ibanez INF pickups in the 321 suck. Scratchy as hell, I found them to be too midsy for my liking but that's more of a matter of personal preference. They're incredibly noisy, and sound like a cat just died.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Frosted Flakes
Thanks alot guys for all the help. Didn't mean for an argument to break out, but I guess I learned something from it lol.
Don't sweat it. You'll get that kind of nonsense no matter what question you ask here, because in addition to the 5% of posts from people who know what they're talking about, you'll get the other 95% from ignorant keyboard monkeys who have no idea what they're talking about. You'll get used to it quickly, then you'll just learn to quickly scan through the nonsense and seek out the useful replies.
I say go with the RG321MH. Very nice guitar for the money. Probally the best 300 dollar guitar on the planet. And actually i think guitar center has them for like 279 right now. They did a while ago.
Quote by MegaCutMan
I'm just stating the obvious in my post. Mahogany wood is still Mahogany. I never said the quality WAS of a Gibson, just saying that Gibson uses Mahogany.

Well, TS, I think you should go out and play each. Find the strengths/weaknesses of each guitar. Test sustain, tone, feel etc. That's the only true way of figuring out which guitar is better for you.

Gibson really isn't all that great. IMO they're overrated.

Oh yeah, and either the 321MH or that Schecter whats-his-name suggested.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by MegaCutMan
About that Agile you mentioned, can you deal with the frustrations by the FR tremolo? If your fine with that, then all means go for it. Agile has a good reputation.

What kind of frustrations? Care to explain anyone?
Couldn't I just not use it so that it doesn't go out of tune, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks. Leaning more towards the Agile right now actually. Saw some videos and reviews on it and it's apparently really good. Thoughts and input still very welcome
Last edited by Frosted Flakes at Dec 23, 2008,
Floyd roses are difficult to handle if you don't know about them
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah, the whole tuning aspect. I don't have one personally, but from the guides on how to set up the Floyd Roses, it looks complicated. If you can't set it up yourself, you can always take it to your local luthier and pay money for the set up.
Quote by Frosted Flakes
Thanks alot guys for all the help. Didn't mean for an argument to break out, but I guess I learned something from it lol. I'm leaning towards getting the RG321 now, but I saw this Agile PS970

Well that Agile in has a shorter scale neck (3/4 of an inch shorter to be precise) so I'd suggest going to a guitar store and just playing a few different lengths of neck to see if you really have a preference to one scale. It might not make a difference to you at all but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Other than that, as far as I've heard it's wise to stay away from a Floyd Rose on guitars under $500 or so but then again with agile I've heard by comparison to other companies they should be charging double for their gear. Hopefully someone with experience with Agiles can answer this better than I.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the fact that Floyd Roses are hell to re-string until you get used to it.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
The RG2EX1 was my second guitar.
As well it was my first Ibanez guitar.
I loved that guitar to be honest.
Btw to those saying its neck is unbound i have its neck right infront of me and it has a black binding that is not uncomfortable.

The other guitar is better though.
It is made of Mohagany, as the EX1 is made of Basswood.
It isn't as astheticaly pleasing but it is much better tonaly.
Persoaly id get it in Royal Blue.
The pickups are essentialy the same.
EMG only designed the IBZ pickups so ibanez could put the name on them.
Add a little to the sales for the cost of inferior wood you see.
They were based off the design of the pickups in the 321.

I say go for the 321.

EDIT: I dont like Schecter guitars myself but its mostly due to my dislike of Tune O Matic Bridges. Try one out and see your opinion.
I tryed out a C1+ I actually considered buying because the owner put out the effort to put a fixed bridge onto it .
Last edited by [[BurnTheDusk]] at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Devdude25
I just stopped posting, because I knew that guy was a jackass, and just digging the hole even deeper for himself, I dont play high-gain only music, I like jazz, and am a lead guitar player in a melodic band. I need a lot of differing tones from my pickups. Therefore, I dont like pickups that limit themselves to one "signature" tone. EMG says "signature" I say "****" take what you will. The pit has spoken... I may sig the previous post. Kudos.

ummm you do realise the 'emg designed pickups' are really INF1/2's with a cover on?
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
I have the RG2EX1. I don't know what some of you are talking about when you say the fretboard isn't good. The fretboard on it (as well as most Ibanez guitars) is practically flawless and has the most amazing feel. The pickups are not crap, they are V7 and V8 humbucking pickups.

I haven't tried out the second guitar, but I have the first one and would recommend it in a heartbeat to anybody in the market for a guitar in that price range.
Quote by Tedward
they are the same guitar with different finishes and pickups.

...most guitars are like that...
I own a Rg2ex1. I think its a wonderful guitar. The only thing I'm stumped with is that yes it does have V7-V8 pickups, they dont say designed by emg, and it has a 5 way switch. No idea. Someone please PM me?