Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone,
i am not a professional guitarist so i didn't use my guitar on stage or something like that, just intermediate guitarist so my budget is around 350$ for the guitar and 150$ for the practice amp. I used until now a crappy strat copy with crappy amp and i want to change them. I want a guitar that last for long with good stock pickups (since i will not change them) to play melodic blues(eric jhonson) and melodic rock and melodic metal (jhon petrucci-Glasgow Kiss).
I red many reviews( ibanez, olp, washburn, schecter, vox, Roland...) but i am little lost.
What would be the best guitar and amp for me?
Thanks.
Last edited by rocker313 at Dec 25, 2008,
guitar, I would say to look at a schecter 4 sure, a used blackjack series guitar would be in that range, also the Damien 6 or Damien FR are very versatile as well, on the amp issue...line 6 spider 3 combo amp, or a spider two combo amp. Both the guitars and the amp I put there are pretty much made to play any style, but the guitars are geared toward more aggressive playing. CHEERS
Ibanez is probs best for your price range.
Main Gear:

ESP Eclipse CTM I
Dean 'Shards' Razorback
Chapman Guitars ML-1
Ibanez AEL40SE Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Small Clone
I don't know, but make sure you try them before you buy them. And you might could try this one called the searchbar, it can usually help.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
I would say to try out a Squier Vintage Modified HSS guitar. That would leave you with $200 for an amp. With that, try out a Peavey Vyper maybe, or a Vox AD15.
Get some Ibanez or perhaps ESP for guitar, and a Roland Cube for amp.
The Cube has many different sizes:
Micro, small, just about 25 cm high and 25 cm wide, great if you just practice at home, good built in effects.
15, 20, 30 and so on, just more watts, no significant differences.

I personally have a Roland Cube 30X at home and I love it.
save your money until you have enough to get a nice guitar. trust me, it'll be worth it
at 350$ i would try and get a schecter: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-GRYPHON-Limited-Edition-Flametop?sku=518483

or an esp: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001&Ns=P_Price%7c0&Ntk=All&Ntt=esp&Nty=1&page=3&rpp=20 (take your pick)

150$ for an amp won't get you anything but a crappy little amp.

if it was me, i wouldn't spend 150$ on an amp, i would just add it onto your guitar and get a 500$ guitar.

edit:
if i was spending 500 on a guitar i would buy one of the laguna guitars. they get nothing but awesome reviews. especially for the pickups.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Laguna-LE524-Electric-Guitar?sku=515722

plus they plant a tree for every guitar they sell, which is cool.
Last edited by SpeedLives at Dec 22, 2008,
i would spend the majority of your cash on an amp and worry about a new guitar later. the amp is more important imo.
well for 400 bucks you can get an epiphone dot deluxe
its a semi hollowbody guitar that is made exactly like the gibson es335 but its pickups maybe different (some say they are better than the gibsons)
then for 300 thee is an epiphone les pul studio

theres the ibanez sa260m and rg350ex and rg3exfm1

and there is always the standard strat
really dude, its up to you and what you like.

an example "generally, humbuckers are better for metal".

i play metal, but i like single coils.

your best bet is to go to a local guitar store and try some out that are in your price range. pick a guitar and an amp, and set the amp to a blues tone, then try the guitar with it. if it sounds good, try again with a metal setting on the amp.

if theres a particular guitarist that plays blues/rock/metal and you like their sound, look for a guitar that has similair construction (like wood type and pickups)*.

*using their amp will get you closer to their sound then using their guitar, however.
Quote by Birchall17
Ibanez is probs best for your price range.

this ibanez makes some good guitars in that range just stay the hell away from the edge 3
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by rocker313
What about HB-105 pickups from Schecter on the model below Are they as good as the real SD?
http://www.thomann.de/fr/schecter_revenger_6_sbk.htm

Duncan Desgined are nothing like real Seymour Duncans, don't let the fact the guitar has those pups persuade u to buy it.
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
Spend more on the amp than on the guitar.

^Agreed
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
For the guitar i'm thinking of Hallow Body guitar (i love the sound), but as i read there is many good models for my price range such as Epiphone Dot (the one i heard), EmperorII..or even ibnaez AS..but i don't know much about hallow body guitars, any information about a better guitar than the Epiphone Dot would be highly appreciated!!
For the amp i'm thinking between Roland 15x, Roland 30x, Laney LC15R and Vox AD15, if possible i want an rythm (drum) included?

What do you think about the guitar and the amp proposition??
Last edited by rocker313 at Dec 23, 2008,
When I think melodic metal a hollow or semi hollow just don't come to mind. Most of the guitars in the range you are looking at don't come with great pick ups. I would say research the actual type of bridge pup you want and install it in the guitar you have. Maybe that costs $100 to $150.
I would spend the rest on a decent amp. The Laney is the best on the list but may not hit the kind of metal you want. The others are good amps too.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by rocker313
For the guitar i'm thinking of Hallow Body guitar (i love the sound), but as i read there is many good models for my price range such as Epiphone Dot (the one i heard), EmperorII..or even ibnaez AS..but i don't know much about hallow body guitars, any information about a better guitar than the Epiphone Dot would be highly appreciated!!
For the amp i'm thinking between Roland 15x, Roland 30x, Laney LC15R and Vox AD15, if possible i want an rythm (drum) included?

What do you think about the guitar and the amp proposition??

Hollow bodied guitars don't do as well as others in the metal department. Look into Jackson, LTD, and Ibanez.
for that amount of money u could get a good mexican made fender strat which u would already be used to playing and a decent line 6 amp would probably do nicely
Epiphone Dot can handle metal i think. I saw it in youtube and it manages well the high gain.
Last edited by rocker313 at Dec 23, 2008,
I'd say Ibanez SA260FM, And a Roland micro cube, should be perfect for what you described that you need. The guitar is a solid mahogany body, with a nice neck. And the amp has alot of settings and effects, and it sounds good for what it is. I am just trying to suggest things that fall into your budget, and fits the needs you mentioned.
Quote by rocker313
What about ibanez Artist series??

Great stuff for the money. Edit: The arc100 and 300 that is. I wouldn't try the Artcores for metal.
I have two in mind that have good price:
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Ibanez ART 100

For melodic blues/rock/metal, What do you think?
how much does an ibanez s320 + roland microcube come to?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rocker313
I have two in mind that have good price:
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Ibanez ART 100

For melodic blues/rock/metal, What do you think?

The ART 100 of the two.
What's the difference between active and passive pickups for the sound specially for melodic blues/metal, which one suits the best?
I Love the sound of glasgow Kiss solo, is Jhon Petrucci (his guitar is a musicman sig)using Active pickups?
Last edited by rocker313 at Dec 24, 2008,
Quote by rocker313
What's the difference between active and passive pickups for the sound specially for melodic blues/metal, which one suits the best?
I Love the sound of glasgow Kiss solo, is Jhon Petrucci (his guitar is a musicman sig)using Active pickups?

Any opinions about this?
Spend more on the amp for sure and check:

www.rondomusic.com for a guitar. PM me if you want more detailed help.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by CrzyGuitarist93
Spend more on the amp than on the guitar.

I agree with this to some extent BUT you need to also find a guitar that you are comfortable playing and if it ends up costing more than the amp I would rather do that then buy a lesser guitar that my hands arent comfy playing.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
haha nice nice I'm actually looking for a new guitar myself. If you're not into buying from the bigger brands, you might want to check out Tradition Guitars. Their prices are great although I'm asking UG about the guitars. Doing my homework before I order a guitar from them :] Check em out, they seem decent. Lets hope their guitars sound decent.
Avoid Actives unless you will own a tube amp. Otherwise actives will sound even more sterile than usual with next to none clearness.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Page 1 of 2