I need some basic riffs fo me to play when i go to my friends house tomorrow, that i could learn the tab of now, so ill now it for tomorrow. Im sick o fbeing able tpo play **** all on his bass...

Also, in metal, if the a bassist/any bassist playing metal in general plays on his/her own, other than distortion, how would he make it sound metal? As the clean sounds rather... happy, melodius, if thats the right word.. Not, how can I say it... metal ish. What can he do in his techniques/amp to make him sound/...metal.

Or is it because metal is mainly guitars, so bass is backing predominantly, but that still doesn'tt explaing why it isnt used to sound metal, as clean, as said earlier...doesn't.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I also need some good songs preferable by solo bassists or rando mriffing or jamming that is good, but isnt slap or pop.
Last edited by NKF176 at Dec 22, 2008,
Try scooping out the mids a bit of your bass sound, but not too much. And a fun ong to play is Death From Above 1979's song Romantic Rights, or Little Girl.
walk idiot walk by the hives is a good one. depending how good you are, anything by rush. In terms of sounding metal, open notes in drop c always sound hardcore. Try 1 0 1 0 1 0 on your low string. have fun
learn happy birthday. I'm dead serious. noone forgets a bassist who plays that first thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
For playing metal clean without it sounding happy I just dig in a hell of a lot, but most of my tone seems to come from my technique.
Quote by hippiebass
For playing metal clean without it sounding happy I just dig in a hell of a lot, but most of my tone seems to come from my technique.

what does this mean?
Attack the strings really hard with your plucking hand and pull on them a lot.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by hippiebass

This, and raising your mids and treble should give you a decent old school metal tone.

Caught in a mosh by Anthrax is a good recognizable riff, as well as peace sells by Megadeth. the intro to Souls of black by Testament might take a bit longer to learn but is a really cool riff.
You don't need distortion to sound metal, you just need to know the right patterns, and usually, you'll need to be able to play relatively fast. Metal is known as being frantic, and that's why you'll commonly see metal bassists using picks and sometimes playing complex riffs.