Page 1 of 3
I was in a crossroads recently, as i was reading reviews here on UG about the Les Paul guitars which made me undecisive about which to buy. Which got me to start a thread here about it.
I wanted to buy a Les Paul which is durable and versatile because I basically play a lot of varied styles from blues to heavy metal to basically anything that can be played on a guitar. (except for punk)
I was wondering which one would be affordable and of high quality.

Note: It has to be that yellow-ish color, Like Slash's in the Sweet Child O' Mine video
Gibson > Epiphone

Elitist Epiphone > Gibson Low End (and if your lucky, their standard range too)
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Epiphone is Gibsons Squire so if you waned to know what was better Gibson or Epiphone then it is obviously Gibson by a million miles and dont let anyone tell you differently

Edit: like the guy above, All Gibsons > All Epiphone's, thats not to say the high end epis are not good, they are, but Gibson's are better, much better.
Origanally Posted by freedoms_stain
Live webcam shows.
The bigger and blacker the dildo, the more cash.

Originally Posted by neopowell
Holy Christ I haven't laughed that hard since I bummed that clown. Well done!
Last edited by jolleymuse at Dec 22, 2008,
Neither, Gibson and Epiphone are really hiking their prices at the moment so that really is a factor underuling both.
Although I do own a Epiphone Les Paul trans amber and its very good looking guitar (like slash's)

I recommend the LTD EC-400 (the flametop ones). They may not be "Les Pauls" but its a damn good buy.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
if you're on a limited budget, get an epi. i've got a '96 goldtop made by them and it's done exactly what i needed it to and then some. i have no doubt that a gibson would be better, but you're gonna be paying a whole lot more.
Kodiak bears make awesome bandmates.

Quote by wolvenrick
no seriously 7x NGD is epicness i declare you the winner of all NGD's on UG never have i seen this xD
Quote by jolleymuse
Epiphone is Gibsons Squire so if you waned to know what was better Gibson or Epiphone then it is obviously Gibson by a million miles and dont let anyone tell you differently

Edit: like the guy above, All Gibsons > All Epiphone's, thats not to say the high end epis are not good, they are, but Gibson's are better, much better.

no not all gibsons are better than all epiphone...if you compare the high end gibson with high end epi, and low end with low end, then most of the time yes. but if you compare low end gibson with high end epiphone, thats different.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
If you're willing to spend a lot of money Gibsons are well worth it. I own a Les Paul Studio and love the thing, I can easily get amazing cleans to heavily distorted, yet articulate sounds. Of course it helps that I have a Marshall DSL 50 to play it through . Good luck with your search, and yes the LTD guitar someone mentioned earlier is a good buy, but probably wouldn't be the best for playing classic rock like you want to. I'd say go try these guitars out and see what you think.
Quote by driggsi424
If you're willing to spend a lot of money Gibsons are well worth it. I own a Les Paul Studio and love the thing, I can easily get amazing cleans to heavily distorted, yet articulate sounds. Of course it helps that I have a Marshall DSL 50 to play it through . Good luck with your search, and yes the LTD guitar someone mentioned earlier is a good buy, but probably wouldn't be the best for playing classic rock like you want to. I'd say go try these guitars out and see what you think.

It has the passive duncan's in, of course it is best for playing classic rock!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
no not all gibsons are better than all epiphone...if you compare the high end gibson with high end epi, and low end with low end, then most of the time yes. but if you compare low end gibson with high end epiphone, thats different

Actually i have done before i bought my low end Gibson, i tried a huge number of high end epis and vaious Gibsons and i prefered all the gibsons, they just sounded and felt lke better quality instruments. The gibson's are not worth the amount extra you pay but they are better imho.
Live webcam shows.

My roommates gibson is sick, plays and feels amazing. Me, being too poor to afford that, got an agile. Plays like the higher end epiphones and cost less

heres one kinda like slashes, its a little bit lighter than the one he plays in sweet child of mine but close:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000hsb.html
Quote by jolleymuse
Actually i have done before i bought my low end Gibson, i tried a huge number of high end epis and vaious Gibsons and i prefered all the gibsons, they just sounded and felt lke better quality instruments. The gibson's are not worth the amount extra you pay but they are better imho.

When you say high end epi's, did you play any elitists?

When I stumbled on mine it kicked the crap out of the gibsons I played that day..

All guitars are different though, there are bound to be good and bad of both.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
get an epiphone standard with the look you want and put gibson pickups in it, it will sound exactly the same as a gibson with the same pickup. May not looks "as" nice but its looks are close enough. Decent Epi. + Gibson pickups = same sound as gibson = more money in your pocket
Quote by jolleymuse

so youve compared the melody maker to the elitist les paul custom?

or even the les paul studios are said to be worse than the elitist...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by Twelf_Fret
My roommates gibson is sick, plays and feels amazing. Me, being too poor to afford that, got an agile. Plays like the higher end epiphones and cost less

heres one kinda like slashes, its a little bit lighter than the one he plays in sweet child of mine but close:
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3000hsb.html

the thing I have against agiles is that they dont really look like a les paul...atleast in my eyes, that cut just doesnt look close enough like a les paul..
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Must it be "like slash". I love the guitar too, but dont get one just because he does hah
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I say an LTD Eclipse. Epis have really shot up in price, and I imagine Gibson is following suite. Agiles are another good option, and they have ome very cool features, the most remarkable being uniform-profile necks and compound radius fingerboards, both of which nether company has.
When you say high end epi's, did you play any elitists?

When I stumbled on mine it kicked the crap out of the gibsons I played that day..

All guitars are different though, there are bound to be good and bad of both.

I compared several elitist custom epis to les paul studios and the studios i played were way better. But like you said all guitars are different and maybe we like different things in a guitar, whatever, i was just stating my opinion that in my experience the gibsons are better
Live webcam shows.

Want a good, versatile LP? Get the Amber Sunburst LTD EC-1000.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by TheQuailman
Okay,
how much are you willing to spend and where do you live?

I am willing to pay as much as 1400$ and I live in Egypt
I'd get an Elitist for sure with that kind of money.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by jolleymuse

You're an idiot.

High-end Epis (Elitists) > Low end Gibbys.

+1 for the EC-1000.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by jolleymuse
I compared several elitist custom epis to les paul studios and the studios i played were way better. But like you said all guitars are different and maybe we like different things in a guitar, whatever, i was just stating my opinion that in my experience the gibsons are better

I might have gotten an exceptionally good one then. I have played a LOT of gibsons including supremes, custom shops, studios and everything in between. This elitist (in my opinion) sat right between the studio's and standards.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^ Pretty much the same here.

Though I usually hear the contrary, in where Elitist are normally better than any Studio but who knows.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
My Les Paul Custon apparently has the components of a gibson but its an epiphone so you save the money. Unless you care about looking good from the brand, just get a top of the line epiphone.
Quote by fifer
the thing I have against agiles is that they dont really look like a les paul...atleast in my eyes, that cut just doesnt look close enough like a les paul..

Yeah that's why I hate Agiles. They may be great guitars.... but that rounded off horn looks like ****. I wouldn't pay $10 for one because of that.
Every properly set up well built Gibson I've played has been better than every Epiphone I've played. The Elitist Epiphones are good though. But their standard line is nothing to write home about. Gibson puts out a fair amount of duds these days through its studio->standard line but if you're comparing an entire line based on duds you're an idiot. Play the guitar before you buy to make sure it's a quality instrument, it's that simple.

That being said, keep in mind also that new standard production les pauls (studio->standard) are chambered for weight relief. Some people absolutely detest this (I'm not really sure why), but I actually kind of like the tone. It's bright, resonant and airy. For some reason, people are convinced that les pauls have to be heavy (ironic because the much heralded '58-'60 les pauls were not really that heavy at all).
Last edited by al112987 at Dec 23, 2008,
^ agreed (i should add that i haven't tried any japanese epiphones, which i assume are pretty sweet).

japanese copies are worth considering as well- tokai, edwards, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Tokais are quality, especially if you're talking about the old 80s Love Rocks which are easily on par with anything Gibson has put out in the past few decades. Good tone woods, high quality craftsmanship, good guitars overall. Same with the old "Navigator" LP copies from the '80s. Edwards to me is about the same as the Elitist line. Quality instruments none the less.
yeah. if you have the money to buy an (non-japanese) epiphone, then it's certainly worth considering saving up slightly more to get an edwards, mid-range MIJ Tokai etc. as they're of similar quality to non-custom shop Gibsons (except without the full nitro finsih, and are probably african mahogany instead of south american), and there's better QC (you don't have to try 20 to find a good one, but then the flip of that is that if you do find the good Gibson, it's likely to be great!).

If you have enough for a custom shop Gibson, then that's a different story- but as you say, you also have the option of high-end tokais, navigators, bacchus etc. which use all the right materials, and which are arguably more accurate than even CS Gibsons (they use honduran mahogany, brazilian rosewood/jacaranda fretboard, etc.)... unfortunately, I haven't been able to try them.

EDIT: i haven't tried any 80s love rocks, but my '84 (with a refret, lol) goldstar is easily the equal of Fender USA reissues.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'd compare Epi Les paul to the Gibson, like a Mexican to American strat.

if that helps
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Why do people think that low end Gibsons are crap? They are made by the same people, in the same factory, using the same tools, and are made at the same time as the other USA Gibsons.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
Quote by I am wet
Why do people think that low end Gibsons are crap? They are made by the same people, in the same factory, using the same tools, and are made at the same time as the other USA Gibsons.

Because many of them are people who have minimal personal experience and form an opinion based on what they hear from others and read about in forums. Thus for the most part, they don't truly understand the nuances of a good guitar.
i've tried some low end gibsons which i wouldn't have said were that great. they tend to still sound pretty good (i'd still most likely rather have one than an epi, you can fix bad fretwork but not bad wood), but the fretwork and attention to detail can be pretty poor...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dcooper830
Yeah that's why I hate Agiles. They may be great guitars.... but that rounded off horn looks like ****. I wouldn't pay $10 for one because of that.

I think it looks fine...
Plus, no one really pays attention to that unless they are a guitar player...
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Crate V33 212 Combo
DigiTech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Quote by Dave_Mc
i've tried some low end gibsons which i wouldn't have said were that great. they tend to still sound pretty good (i'd still most likely rather have one than an epi, you can fix bad fretwork but not bad wood), but the fretwork and attention to detail can be pretty poor...

Exactly, but to some people poor fretwork and sloppy wiring and poor factory setup are unaccepatable on a $1000 guitar. I personally don't care, a setup and fret job are eventually inevitable for just about every guitar. And I rip out the electronics and replace them with an RS kit and aftermarket pickups anyway. I just care that it 1) sounds good unplugged 2) is well built 3) feels good in my hands. But if I got stuff like bad frets on a $3000 VOS les paul, then I'd be pissed. Of course I would never buy a $3000 guitar with bad frets in the first place, which is why people should really be trying these guitars themselves first.

Another thing about these comparisons. In my honest opinion, someone playing metal through a Mesa boogie or Peavey 6505 etc. will really not be able to tell the difference between a high end les paul with a low end les paul with the same pickups. The more gain you start adding, the more all guitars start sounding the same. You don't really hear the differences in the woods until you start running the les paul into a very dynamic amplifiers and not covering up their more subtle characteristics with a ton of gain.
Quote by guitar99099
I think it looks fine...
Plus, no one really pays attention to that unless they are a guitar player...

The only real difference is the SLIGHTLY rounded cutaway, and the strap button is a little higher. Not enough to make a huge difference. To say one wouldn't buy an Agile for 10 bucks based on that is absolutely stupid, borderline retarded.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by TehMasterSword
The only real difference is the SLIGHTLY rounded cutaway, and the strap button is a little higher. Not enough to make a huge difference. To say one wouldn't buy an Agile for 10 bucks based on that is absolutely stupid, borderline retarded.

I would buy it only to sell it on Ebay, I think that it is hideous.
epi> gibson. gibsons quality sucks BIG TIME now. they are COMPLETLY overpriced and your paying like 200 bucks for just the brand. gibsons are also really overrated. id take an epi over a gibson anyday but id take a jackson over both
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Page 1 of 3