Page 1 of 2
Someone is selling me a used 1986 SG 61'Reissue, (though i thought 61' reissues started in the 90) for about $1200. I'm always a little suspicious about buying used things of the web, and i don't want to pay 1200 dollars for something else.
here's pictures of it

I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

Music is my religion. - Jimi Hendrix
there's something fishy about the serial number being blurred out and the fact the gibson logo looks like a sticker it actually looks like an epiphone G-400 that has had the headstock re-shaped to look like a gibson - i wouldn't buy it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
even if it is real, i agree with the guy above, the serial number should be disclosed and the logo looks terrible. i wouldnt risk it
thats what i was telling my brother!, the headstock was too weird
I once received a bra... with "I Love John" embroidered on it. It thought it was pretty original. I didn't keep it, mind you - it didn't fit. - John Lennon

PIcs dont work?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
could just be me but the top of the head stock looks uneven
Quote by smb
Further proof, if proof were needed, that Bill Gates planned 9/11 with Elvis.
yeah its a fake.... ive dealt with that before... sorry man
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
the gibson logo to headstock ratio looks uneven. not to mention the crown isn't nearly as big enough as it should be

this is what mine looks like
Last edited by kckyle at Dec 22, 2008,
Looks like some bent tuning pegs on it as well in the photos # 1 and # 2- the perspective of the photo, maybe?

Ask for a side view photo- I think I recall seeing a guide somewhere showing that Gibson headstocks are at an angle and Epiphones are flatter.

The serial # shown is from a 1986 Gibson, you can check that on http://www.goinstrument.com/Guitar/Electric/Gibson.aspx

and check out http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

The 86 Gibsons were cheaply made as far as what I have read, this one seems a bit sketchy, but maybe just needs you to investigate a bit more.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
thanks guys, i feel like a total idiot. now i just have to tell that guy off..

or have some fun with him

Clearly a fake. Just Pass and move on.
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Quote by PoundCakeJay

have some fun with him lol
It's a fake.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
"IT"S A TRAP!"
~ Admiral Ackbar

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by kckyle
have some fun with him lol

any ideas?

Quote by PoundCakeJay
any ideas?

Tell him if you buy it you won't be able to afford surgery for your dying adopted brother.
Last edited by Zoso42 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by PoundCakeJay

you're not an idiot, you came here.
Quote by PoundCakeJay
any ideas?

Arrange to met him to inspect and buy the guitar but instead of buying it just f*cking rape him.I'm sure he'll think twice about selling gibby copies after having his salad tossed in a parking lot somewhere.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Arrange to met him to inspect and buy the guitar but instead of buying it just f*cking rape him.I'm sure he'll think twice about selling gibby copies after having his salad tossed in a parking lot somewhere.

LOL SOUND LIKE WIN!
Quote by Gates67

ahh no wonder these ppl who made gibson knock offs had a hard time replicating them since gibson themself did a piss poor job
Quote by eyebanez333
Its fake...the blurred out serial number should have been a dead giveaway

yea, i know, i asked him for the serial number before

bah i'm fool

anything else i can do that avoids anally raping him?

i'm thinking of making him feel very guilty by something...and then really raging against him

If he's local, you should get his hopes up that you are going to buy it, then reference some of the stuff that people have said in here (headstock, serial #, etc.) then tell him off. You should report him to the website he is selling it off of too.
Quote by eyebanez333
If he's local, you should get his hopes up that you are going to buy it, then reference some of the stuff that people have said in here (headstock, serial #, etc.) then tell him off. You should report him to the website he is selling it off of too.

yea its a craigslist ad, but he just started trying on ebay.

i should tell him to meet me somewhere and then not show up

and then tell him off

Quote by captain Trips
ask him again how much he's selling the Epiphone for

I would do this and watch him squirm
I personally think it is fake. Mind you, the crappy gibson logo inlay is what you would expect from gibson. Nowadays anyway.
Meet him with a handful of cash in your hand, take a glimpse at the guitar and say to him its a fake.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by Gates67

after looking at these and the guitar that the TS posted, I think it's possible that it's a real Gibson.

Unlike Epiphone, the guitar has a one piece neck and a one piece body, something Gibson doesn't even do anymore, it has the right tuners, knobs and other things that most fake guitar manufacturers don't bother themselves with. Not to mention that the headstock is angled at a proper angle.

My advice: Tell the seller that you won't buy without an image of the full serial number, these can be easily checked. You can also e-mail Gibson themselves and send pictures to confirm that it is indeed a genuine Gibson.
Looks real to me..

Get the serial number and check it.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Attempt to pay him with fake money and when he complains tell him it is ok because the guitar is a fake as well. He should understand and give you the guitar, lol.
ITS A TRAP!

dont buy it, the "i" in gibson is too low and the person who said right above the neck pickup is right, the stamp for the made in usa looks crooked, its a fake dude sorry
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
its not an Epiphone or a Gibson. its a sg duplicate made by some rather no name company that doesn't have any original models just replicas. they usually make them quite good cause there licensed but its no Gibson or Epiphone that's for almost certain. And don't feel like an idiot, i mean you probably have more of a life then all of us who are picking that guitar apart lol
Page 1 of 2