2 5%
i like them, but you should try it beforehand
18 42%
i dont like valvekings, buy something else
13 30%
pickles
10 23%
Voters: 43.
I have found a used valveking head for just over £200 but i have not previously tried one out. i may be able to try one tomorrow but i can't be certain. should i get this amp without trying it or should i definately try it first? also, what is it like in terms of sound? i do not have a cabinet yet so any recomendations? i have found the amp for £275 new, should i buy new instead?

i play metal (metallica, bodom, trivium, opeth, arch enemy, killswitch, hammerfall, in flames)

thanks
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 22, 2008,
Try it for sure.

What style of music do you play? Metal, I'm guessing?

The amp sounds ok stock, but it can sound really sweet after extensive modding. I wouldn't buy one unless you have a lot of money to mod it, and even if you do, I'd still probably get the 5150.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
i wouldnt buy it. as far as distortion goes, its not good for anything more than overdriven blues. for metal, get a peavey 5150+ or jsx, i've played both and they're great.

EDIT: the price isnt good for a used one anyway
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
Quote by turtlicorn
i wouldnt buy it. as far as distortion goes, its not good for anything more than overdriven blues. for metal, get a peavey 5150+ or jsx, i've played both and they're great.

problem is the 5150s and 6505s are in excess of £500 which is a lot for what im asking, and thats without a cab

can i have answers from people who have tried both. how much better is a 6505/5150 than a valveking?
Last edited by Random3 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by turtlicorn

EDIT: the price isnt good for a used one anyway

While I don't like defending VK's, this is a totally false statement.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by LP51122
While I don't like defending VK's, this is a totally false statement.

Actually, I must say I'm not familiar with the head itself, I've only played the combos. The sound could be different through a 4x12. But still, I think the VK is marketed more towards blues and hard rock, as opposed to being a metal amp.
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

Quote by Chrisiphone
My grandma didn't have built in effects

Quote by Gargantuan

We are not worthy

Quote by Scoopy_3
A7x own!!!

^the ultimate argument agaisnt a7x.
IbanezPsycho, we need you back in here! perfect timing for:

Quote by Random3
can i have answers from people who have tried both. how much better is a 6505/5150 than a valveking?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
The Valveking can get into metal but its takes a diode clipping circuit to do it. So at that point you just as soon buy a distortion pedal. If the valveking is the only thing you can find in your budget dont get me wrong it can pretty much do anything with the right pedals and using a few tricks. But its not going to do any one thing really well compared to what else is out on the market. It was deisgned to flat and neutral to please everyone to cover a broader market. So if you looking for a metal amp, I say save up and get a metal amp. If you know you wont ever be able to afford a metal amp and this is the best you can get for a while and there is nothing else in your area then sure you can give it a go. But its gonna take a few tricks and pedals to get it into that decent realm. Hit up the Valveking thread theres a ton of info in there.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The Valveking can get into metal but its takes a diode clipping circuit to do it. So at that point you just as soon buy a distortion pedal. If the valveking is the only thing you can find in your budget dont get me wrong it can pretty much do anything with the right pedals and using a few tricks. But its not going to do any one thing really well compared to what else is out on the market. It was deisgned to flat and neutral to please everyone to cover a broader market. So if you looking for a metal amp, I say save up and get a metal amp. If you know you wont ever be able to afford a metal amp and this is the best you can get for a while and there is nothing else in your area then sure you can give it a go. But its gonna take a few tricks and pedals to get it into that decent realm. Hit up the Valveking thread theres a ton of info in there.

ok thanks, so should i save for a 6505? i have found one for £570 but that would be buying online and i cant find anywhere local that sell them so i am not sure if i would be able to try any out before buying.
Quote by spiff389
IbanezPsycho, we need you back in here! perfect timing for:

Quote by Random3
problem is the 5150s and 6505s are in excess of £500 which is a lot for what im asking, and thats without a cab

Its like comparing a Ford Mini Van to a Corvette.... Can they both get you there? yes... But one will get you there faster and not loose control in the turn killing you and your family lol

The 5150/6505 blows the VK out of the water on pretty much everything, even blues on the 6505 honeslty sounds better. And for the metal aspect it destroys it in every aspect of the word. There is no comparison, if you can save up and get the 6505 then do it hands down.

I was in the same boat, got a vk because I was in a pinch but wanted a 6505 so for a solid year I was frustrated as hell. Now im content as hell.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Its like comparing a Ford Mini Van to a Corvette.... Can they both get you there? yes... But one will get you there faster and not loose control in the turn killing you and your family lol

The 5150/6505 blows the VK out of the water on pretty much everything, even blues on the 6505 honeslty sounds better. And for the metal aspect it destroys it in every aspect of the word. There is no comparison, if you can save up and get the 6505 then do it hands down.

I was in the same boat, got a vk because I was in a pinch but wanted a 6505 so for a solid year I was frustrated as hell. Now im content as hell.

well at the moment i have about £300 and after christmas i will hopefully have a bit more. i get about £250 at the beginning of febuary and my birthday is near the end of febuary. what im wondering is is the 6505 worth getting even if i cant try it before purchasing?

and are VKs really as bad as corvettes??
Quote by Random3
well at the moment i have about £300 and after christmas i will hopefully have a bit more. i get about £250 at the beginning of febuary and my birthday is near the end of febuary. what im wondering is is the 6505 worth getting even if i cant try it before purchasing?

and are VKs really as bad as corvettes??

Well the company is going bankrupt lol

And yes its a great amp especially if you a lot of metal. Its worth the wait and even if you dont like it you can easily sell it and make a profit. They can be flipped extremely easy.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Well the company is going bankrupt lol

And yes its a great amp especially if you a lot of metal. Its worth the wait and even if you dont like it you can easily sell it and make a profit. They can be flipped extremely easy.

hah thats a good point and ive just decided to save for one because of that
I've just tried a combo valveking. But I had a Really hard time to find a decent tone. I found it sounding a bit "plastic". But the I tried to find a Blackmore tone. But it depends on what kind of metal you play. I think you should try to test a tiny terror at the same time as a valveking so you can hear the diffrence and see what you would like best. I say you could have tons more fun with a TT.
how about a line 6 Spider Valve head? i know everyone has their own oppinion about line 6, but seriously for the price; that thing is legit

EDIT: idk about how much they go for in europe, but in the states they are a pretty good price.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
how about a line 6 Spider Valve head? i know everyone has their own oppinion about line 6, but seriously for the price; that thing is legit

Its legit in the fact if you crank it to 8 its going to sound warmer and have some power tube saturation. But for your normal everyday guy in a bedroom with the volume at 1-3 all your gonna have is a tad bit warmer spider III. Cant stand them at low volumes and they are a waste of cash if you buy one for the bedroom.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its legit in the fact if you crank it to 8 its going to sound warmer and have some power tube saturation. But for your normal everyday guy in a bedroom with the volume at 1-3 all your gonna have is a tad bit warmer spider III. Cant stand them at low volumes and they are a waste of cash if you buy one for the bedroom.

if he is buying for the bedroom, why is he looking for a VK head? i doubt that would sound any better at bedroom levels.

if ANYONE is even mentioning a head, i would already assume they arent using it for practice.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
^They aren't bad, but for the price I disagree. I would much rather have a Mesa F-30 or DC-5 than one of those Spider Valves.

and at what? doubel the price of the Spider valve?
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
if he is buying for the bedroom, why is he looking for a VK head? i doubt that would sound any better at bedroom levels.

if ANYONE is even mentioning a head, i would already assume they arent using it for practice.

and at what? doubel the price of the Spider valve?

They do and the reason for that is Preamp tubes.... Also I own a head and owned other heads in the past and use them for strictly practice. Ans so do many many others...
I have played almost all of the VK models from 112 combo to the half stack. I don't like them but I will try to give you an objective overview of the tones. The cleans are clear and articulate but lack tonal depth, sounding very thin. The low and medium gain sounds are pretty good, nice and full, smooth break up, this is where the amp really shines. High gain sounds get muddy and lose articulation especially in the low end. If you want it for metal I suggest buying something else.
just like ibanezpsycho said, its not a metal amp, but with a few things like a cheap OD and an EQ, it can get pretty impressive metal tone at the price.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by Random3
I have found a used valveking head for just over £200 but i have not previously tried one out. i may be able to try one tomorrow but i can't be certain. should i get this amp without trying it or should i definately try it first? also, what is it like in terms of sound? i do not have a cabinet yet so any recomendations? i have found the amp for £275 new, should i buy new instead?

i play metal (metallica, bodom, trivium, opeth, arch enemy, killswitch, hammerfall, in flames)

thanks

It's a good amp. But for £50 more you can get new

For the cab... get this. It's a 212 with V30s in it, about £175.

If you're looking for a 412, get this. V30s also, and about £305

EDIT:

Quote by Random3

Consider price too.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Dec 23, 2008,