I own a ESP LTD EC-500. Its not the best I know, but it's what I have and I'm satisfied right now, but I don't like the EMG's in it now, because I don't play metal anymore, more Indie/rock/alt.

So I was wondering if its possible to just change out the PUP at the bridge with a new passive Humbucker to try it out.

If I do that will the tone knob still work? Is it even possible to do just one? I Haven't ever switched anything out but I want to learn will this be too hard?

I don't expect all my questions to be answered...just whatever possible would be a big help. Thanks!
it's possible, but awkward (to switch only one). also, the current tone and volume knobs won't work (as far as i'm aware).

why a gibson humbucker? plenty of people make nice humbuckers...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you do you'll have to replace the pots because the values are different for passives. You will also want to change the neck pickup otherwise wiring it is going to be difficult.

Quote by Dave_Mc
it's possible, but awkward (to switch only one). also, the current tone and volume knobs won't work (as far as i'm aware).

+1
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Dave_Mc

If I replace both would they work? If not...then how do I change tone and volume?

...and I'm open to suggestions, what other kinds?

And I'm a noob..........What are pots?
pots are potentiometers, variable resistors basically. it's what your volume and tone knobs attach to.

what's your budget? what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pots are potentiometers, they're the volume/tone nobs. You will still need new ones if you're going from actives to passives, but they're pretty cheap.

EDIT: Grrr... Damn you Dave, you keep beating me by a minute!
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
$200-250 some where around there Unless I need more I prob could.
I have a Crate V-33.

Thanks for all help so far!

Could I change all that out myself?
Oh yeah, it's all just simple soldering and you can look up wiring diagrams on the internet.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
if i were you i would just get like a nice cheap tele, strat, or les paul
than you'd have one for metal and one for other stuff
i guess if you don't play metal than you won't want the guitar, but i don't think it would be cost effective to replace pups
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Cool, so i'd just need to buy the new pots and the PUPS to have everything work like normal right?
Pretty much. What sound are you trying to achieve? I know you said you like rock/alternative but what are some bands that have a sound you like?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
The real problem is that, on the three low stings I have to turn up the treble to get a clear tone, but when I do that it makes the high strings to sharp and trebly, I've spent hours tryin all the possible combinations. I've tried on multiple amps, and it's the pups I assumed.
Dude, edit your posts. It could be the pickups, pickup height, your tone knob not being in a good position, your EQing, lots of things.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
you can do it yourself if you can solder, more or less.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you can do it yourself if you can solder, more or less.

dave, don't you suggest just getting a new guitar anyway?

a 72 deluxe tele would work i assume
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
depends. he'd need to work out if the tone he doesn't like is due to the guitar or the pickups. he should be able to try a ltc EC400/1000 with duncans- that'd be the first thing to do. if he doesn't like that either (granted, the jb is still pretty hot, but not as hot as emgs), then it might pay to start trying some different guitars.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

I haven't found a pickup out there that has as much output while maintaining such character as the gibson burstbucker. most high output pickups have hardly any character in my opinion.

also my question is why leave the neck active? if anything, you want the neck to be passive because active pickups just sound like balls for clean.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE