i hear the term rack mounting alot, and i know it ha ssomething to do with when you have a seperate head and cab but can someone just clarify what it is and why its important please?

Thanks a bunch
You see how in this image, different pieces of the rig are all mounted in that box? That box is called a rack, and the things inside are mounted to it with screws...hence "rack mounting".
Nope, no sig here.
I think he's refferring to rack mounted amp set-ups. Instead of using the standard amp head or combo (including effects loops and speaker or direct out), which contains a preamp and a poweramp section. Some choose to split the pre and power amp section, so that they're housed in separate chasis', then mounted into a rack. The advantage is flexibility. The disadvantage is, perhaps, mojo. A personal choice, really. If you like the way your amp sounds, and you're a "plug and play" tone purist, then this is probably not the set-up for you. If you like having a lot of lights and gadgets, or like taking a little color from a lot of places, you'll probably get a lot out of a rackmount amp set-up. As for the pros, they pretty much go about 50/50 between the two set-ups. Maybe the scale leans slightly toward the rack-mount crowd.
Well you get heads that already come in a covering, and you get heads that can be rackmountable. Amp companies generally eitheir do rackmounts or heads.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
If your head isn't designed for it, then you can't rack it. If it is designed to be mounted, you still won't hurt it by just setting it on the cab.
Nope, no sig here.
What head do you have.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Mutant Corn
If your head isn't designed for it, then you can't rack it. If it is designed to be mounted, you still won't hurt it by just setting it on the cab.

It will be easily damaged without the protection of a rack case though. One would be a worthwhile investment.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1