pretty low to get through the sealer coat. High for finishing.

Get a Random Orbital Sander too.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You dont have to go all the way to the wood. Just use some 60 or 80 grit to "rough up" the finish. You only need to get through the poly.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Nevermind then, haha. 60 to 80 will still work fine. When you get to the wood, sand to 320 before you stain.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
In the past I've used 60 to sand it down but if I get into refinishing again (I probably won't) then I'd go with a chemical stripper instead.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
In the past I've used 60 to sand it down but if I get into refinishing again (I probably won't) then I'd go with a chemical stripper instead.

i tried those, they did an awful job. the finishes on guitars are really too thick, fenders finish is about 1/8'' thick all the way around, if not thicker. it did not work for me at all.
^I've had the same experience.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by LP Addict
i tried those, they did an awful job. the finishes on guitars are really too thick, fenders finish is about 1/8'' thick all the way around, if not thicker. it did not work for me at all.

Same. Didn't do a thing.
Gear:
Schecter Stiletto Custom-5
Epiphone SG; EMG 85/81 pups
Schecter 006 Deluxe; SD Duncan Distortion Pups
I am so disapointed, i thought this was about the food product known as grits... I love those things.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I now want to try sanding using the food product known as grits.
Gear

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by LP Addict

Algee always spoke very highly of them. Perhaps it's just about finding the right one???
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by LP Addict

I tried; didn't work at all. It's true.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Algee always spoke very highly of them. Perhaps it's just about finding the right one???

Yup, finding the right kind is key, and having a little bit of patience is key too. A lot of Home Depot stripper isn't designed to strip the factory poly paints, just lacquer and wall paint pretty much.

I used to use Aircraft Paint stripper, you have to let it sit on the paint for a while, but make sure to keep an eye on it as it WILL soak through and stain the wood if you leave it on too long. After you let it sit, get a metal scraper and start scraping it off.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Forgot to add to do it in a well ventilated area. Although, if you're going for a relic i'd stay away from chemical strippers just to be safe. Get throug the paint used 60 grit sandpaper, then once you get down to the wood work your way up to 320 or 400 grit. Then do what you need to do from there.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
yeah , you dont need to go much higher then 400 , depending what kind of wood you have underneath.. if you have a hard high figured you could finish with 600, i would do the last sanding by hand and make sure you follow the grain of the wood cuz you might end up with swirlmarks if you finish with the orbital.. even with high grit. . what is the body wood anyways?
Hell if he had any type of figured wood underneath i'd sand up to 2000 grit and then finish it naturally, it will pop the figure real nice.
You could try a heat gun for the poly.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!