Hey all. I saw somewhere that if you take your strings and boil them in water, and then let them dry in the oven you get "that bright, almost new sound". I've got a gig coming up and was wondering if anyone had tried this, and if it works. (I have no cash to buy new strings with...)
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
None of your band mates are willing to lend you a few dollars for new strings?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
You need some new, less cheap friends. I've never tried it, but it sounds like it could phail miserably. If I were you, I'd make sure I had a good set of strings, then try it and tell us about it.
Megadeth > Metallica
Gibson > Fender
Randy Rhoads > Everybody

Quote by gamenerd323
451f you sig is the truest thing in the world

My sig > Yours
it just stretches them out so they dont stretch out after you put them on your guitar.. like when you try to tune them, or if you are bending your strings alot.. its a good idea though, i boil my strings and the strings never fall out of tune. and the tone of the string lasts longer too.

about 10-15 minutes in boiling water, will do the trick.. just dont forget to dry them off
and dont leave them sitting in the pot of water after your done boiling them.. cause theyll rust and break

(new strings.. not old strings)
Last edited by pepsi1187 at Dec 22, 2008,
I know it will take the dirt and oil and whatnot off the strings, but I don't really think they'll sound new.

Strings are five bucks man, go get some
Its meant to be done with new strings, to bypass the whole stretch out fase of new strings that we all hate.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
i tried that trick not too long ago. it sortof restors new sound, but the new sound doesn't sound as good or last as long. i would either deal with old ones, or get new ones. its really not worth the hassle. it's mainly just to stretch new strings.
bass players do that alot cause there strings cost more money but iv also read that sopposedly eddie van halen does it but i dont kno how true it is but try it and let us know if it works i might try it if you dont find out next time i see the tech at guitar center ill ask him
This makes me think of reusing toilet paper.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
are you really that cheap?
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Good chance you take the used strings off to boil em and 1 will break tuning back up or break during the gig. And dont tell me you plan to go to a gig with a single guitar with old strings and no backup guitar or spare strings.
Last edited by Tackleberry at Dec 22, 2008,
all I got to say if you cant' afford 5-6 dollars, you ought to sell your guitar
to all the people who say im too cheap: im a college student. an extra 5-6 bucks is like pulling teeth... im gonna try it, and if it doesnt work, oh well.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Quote by Tackleberry
Good chance you take the used strings off to boil em and 1 will break tuning back up or break during the gig. And dont tell me you plan to go to a gig with a single guitar with old strings and no backup guitar or spare strings.

Im not the brightest bulb in the box, but im not THAT stupid...
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
that works for new strings, and for old strings it will clean off the dirt a little. how old are your strings? i doubt it would be worth it to take them off and put them back on if there not too bad.
I'm in college too and 5-6 dollars isn't THAT bad. If you can't even afford strings then you probably shouldn't be in a band.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by Kevin Saale

<.< >.> no one has commented on this yet??!! Shame on you UG!

LOL
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
bass players do that alot cause there strings cost more money but iv also read that sopposedly eddie van halen does it but i dont kno how true it is but try it and let us know if it works i might try it if you dont find out next time i see the tech at guitar center ill ask him

That was one really, really long ... setence?
Quote by Kevin Saale

Even when I read the string boiling thing in an EVH interview in like 1980, I thought the whole thing was a crock of sh!t that Eddie made up to see if anyone would be stupid enough to do it. Evidently, this has come to pass. God help the future of our world.
Pre-stretch your new strings an extra 1/2 turn or so, & then back it down & tune to pitch. It should be fine. Boiling strings.....sheeeeesh.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by DeadlyKombat
to all the people who say im too cheap: im a college student. an extra 5-6 bucks is like pulling teeth... im gonna try it, and if it doesnt work, oh well.

good luck buddy, the boiling will probably make your strings break easier....van halen did them to new strings and he said it rusted them but he only used them for a night anyways...next you should never gig without at least fairly new strings on, or really for that matter without another guitar...I mean you cant just play a set with a broken string, and you dont get 10 minute breaks when you please to put on a new string

please ask a friend for 5 bucks and go get another set, or get two really cheap sets at target or something better than wut ur planning
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"