When I stand up, I have to wear the guitar super high or else it feels like I'm breaking my wrists. I had a problem with carpal tunnel years ago so I'd rather look like a dork than risk jacking them up again.

Anyone else have to keep the guitar high because of this? I also suck even more when I'm standing.
It hurts my hands alot more when I stand up and play. However my guitars basically at my knees so that might be why.
Proud owner of a Les Paul
yah i have to wear my guitar kind of high too. it hurts my wrists whenever i play if its any lower then my private area.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
you get used to it... you just have to hold it so it's at a like 40 degree or less angle to your body
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
My problem is the opposite. I'm a bass player, but whenever I play guitar, I can't play sitting down or my wrists hurt. Standing up, low, super low, or high, I have no problem at all.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
I play pretty high. Just play better than anyone who gives you guff.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue -> Korg Pitchblack Tuner -> Boss PS-5 -> EHX Big Muff -> MXR EVH Phase 90 -> Menatone Pleasure Trem 5000 -> Line 6 Verbzilla -> MXR Carbon Copy -> Boss RC-2 -> Peavey Classic 50
none of the really great guitarists play with their guitars down low anyway. have you ever seen john petrucci in concert? his guitar is practically under his chin.
I play high enough that I can pee while playing the guitar.

I also have the neck at a very high angle; I keep it at about 60 degrees from the horizontal.

I much prefer playing electric guitar standing up then sitting down. Classical/acoustic I can go either way but when sitting I use a footstool.

So I may not look as cool as the metal players struggling to reach the e string with carpal tunnel and std's, but I find it much more comfortable and probably sound better.
i have to wear mine high too. Some people look like they break their backs trying to be low enough to play their guitar lol.
Quote by ben hause

I also have the neck at a very high angle; I keep it at about 60 degrees from the horizontal.

I much prefer playing electric guitar standing up then sitting down. Classical/acoustic I can go either way but when sitting I use a footstool.

So I may not look as cool as the metal players struggling to reach the e string with carpal tunnel and std's, but I find it much more comfortable and probably sound better.

Yea, I prefer standing cause I don't have a footstool lol, I also wear it high cause playing it low is so damn annoying, hurts my wrists and it sucks harder.
Quote by C3ngl3
none of the really great guitarists play with their guitars down low anyway. have you ever seen john petrucci in concert? his guitar is practically under his chin.

Jimmy Page had his way down low.

But now his hands are jacked up.
At least when its high theres no chance of whacking it against you belt and dening it. I actually cried when I did that this morning...
Quote by ben hause

Lol, where did that come from?

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Quote by ben hause

Yeah man, you've got to watch out for those dirty g strings, they'll get you.

EDIT: wear it wherever its most comfortable. Don't play like a gorilla either.
Last edited by MRavioli at Dec 22, 2008,
It's natural that standing up your wrist is more tense. But it's only a real problem for 'classical position' . Blues style pentatonic playing doesn't suffer much from low-hanging guitars.

That's why classic rock players have 'em low and guitar virtuoso's have 'em high.

(and also that on a bass there's more tension when you're sitting down, it's normal, because when you're seated the whole bass shifts more towards the left so the frets are further away for your arm/hand).
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
I have monkey arms so playing with mine hanging just below my hip feels perfect. sometimes its a little awkward playing electric sitting down, I cant always reach the high frets.