So I went to a local show on friday night, and the band i went to see had a new addition to the family. their lead guitarist fried his Mesa rectofier at the last show i saw them at, and i was very suprised when they were setting up on friday.

next thing i know he is pullin out a line 6 head i have never seen. to my suprise his tone was amazing! i never thought line 6 could produce anything that sounds that good!

so i cant stop thinking about his rig after i leave, so i decide to check out what line 6 has. i start searching and i find that he was using the line 6 spider valve head. i never thought i would ever buy a line 6 head in my life, ever!!, but i really think im going to get one of these.

what are your guys oppinions on these amps? better alternative? for 800 bucks NEW i couldnt find anything besides a Valve king head, or a Crate Blue Voodoo that could even compare.

and compared to the BV, or the VK i think i would get the spider valve still. people who actually OWN this amp, what are its down falls? any additional info about these amps would be sweet, i just wanted to hear what you guys thought about it; like your oppinion matters anyway
You can do better for the price, they're not bad but not great either.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I really liked the ones I've tried. People who say they suck either:

A. Have never played one and are jumping on the Spider Valves Suck bandwagon.

B. Never used it long enough to actually get a good sound.

C. Don't know how to move knobs.

D. Don't know what they're talking about.

The distortion was a little fizzy for my liking though, but I'm sure it could be dialed out if I would've sat and played with it a little longer. The last time I went in GC I tried it, along with many amps 2 - 3 times its price, and the only amp I really liked better than the SV was the Diezel Einstein and VHT 50/CL.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
There cool in the fact if you crank it to 8 its going to sound warmer and have some power tube saturation behind the modelling. But for your normal everyday guy in a bedroom with the volume set low say 1-3 all your gonna have is a tad bit warmer spider III. For bedroom situations they are not worth the cash in my opinion..
Quote by MatrixClaw

The distortion was a little fizzy for my liking though, but I'm sure it could be dialed out if I would've sat and played with it a little longer. The last time I went in GC I tried it, along with many amps 2 - 3 times its price, and the only amp I really liked better than the SV was the Diezel Einstein and VHT 50/CL.

plus uno
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
The tube overdrive isn't necessarily a good thing, if you just want distortion then the overdrive is a bad thing.

The effects and versatility is nice but if you're just going to be playing a couple styles and don't need very many effects then you can do better.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Both my best friend and my guitar teacher have them and they sound amazing. They have the combo ones though. BEstfriend as the 112 and teacher's got the 212
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
I bought a Spidervalve in April or May last year and I absolutely love it. Unlike the Spider III's the tone isn't digital sounding and can produce some great tones. If you're looking specifically for a metal amp than you could probably find something that does a better job but the great thing about the Spider valve is it can do heavy distortion, blues distortion, cleans, and everything in between.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
There cool in the fact if you crank it to 8 its going to sound warmer and have some power tube saturation behind the modelling. But for your normal everyday guy in a bedroom with the volume set low say 1-3 all your gonna have is a tad bit warmer spider III. For bedroom situations they are not worth the cash in my opinion..

guy is anyone talking about bedroom situations? you probably havent even heard one of these, or even touched a knob on the ****in eq.

i know what i heard, and i like his sound alot. if the dude went from a mesa rect to a ****in LINE 6 SPIDER VALVE, i think that could maybe be saying something...not to mention he saved a good couple hundered...used or not
Quote by MatrixClaw

1) I never get onto bandwagons. I did try a few Spider Valves though.

2) This is possible so I'll keep it in mind.

3) ... Do I even need to remark bout this?

4) I like to think I know what I enjoy from an amp... guess you know what I like better though?

I didn't like the Spider Valve stack, or combos, when I tried them. Is that a crime? No. I'm sure someone can get a sound that makes me go: "Huh, that was pretty damn good." Especially in a world where someone made an MG sound decent... But when I came into contact with a few Spider Valves I quickly moved away.

I think it's so strange my own solid-state head sounds absolutely nothing like any other solid-state head I've seen...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Last edited by `digitaL.braVo at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by Limabean231
I bought a Spidervalve in April or May last year and I absolutely love it. Unlike the Spider III's the tone isn't digital sounding and can produce some great tones. If you're looking specifically for a metal amp than you could probably find something that does a better job but the great thing about the Spider valve is it can do heavy distortion, blues distortion, cleans, and everything in between.

thats the best part about it. it can get to metal territory just fine, but doesnt sound like **** if you want to play some blues...**** even country...whatever you want to play you can do it on this thing.

maybe it wont do everything great, but it can do everything good.

EDIT: idk why i even ask for anyones oppinion anymore. i could have put line 6 anywhere in the posts and you would jump all over me just cuz its line 6.

get your own oppinions instead of listening to all the ****s on here.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
EDIT: idk why i even ask for anyones oppinion anymore. i could have put line 6 anywhere in the posts and you would jump all over me just cuz its line 6.

get your own oppinions instead of listening to all the ****s on here.

You ask about opinions but don't want to hear any negative opinions? How's fairy tale land treating you?
Quote by sargasm
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
I didn't like the Spider Valve stack, or combos, when I tried them. Is that a crime? No. I'm sure someone can get a sound that makes me go: "Huh, that was pretty damn good." Especially in a world where someone made an MG sound decent... But when I came into contact with a few Spider Valves I quickly moved away.

I think it's so strange my own solid-state head sounds absolutely nothing like any other solid-state head I've seen...

Of course, it's definitely not for everyone, but it's not as horrible as people make them out to be. If you play only a few genres, there's most definitely something out there better for you in the same price range, but if you dab it in a little of everything, it's a great piece of equipment
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
guy is anyone talking about bedroom situations? you probably havent even heard one of these, or even touched a knob on the ****in eq.

i know what i heard, and i like his sound alot. if the dude went from a mesa rect to a ****in LINE 6 SPIDER VALVE, i think that could maybe be saying something...not to mention he saved a good couple hundered...used or not

Are you talking about giggin or playing in a bedroom because you shure dont mention it in your post. And I stated there decent when cranked but for bedroom use there not as good. Thats a general statement pointed at both options, since you again didnt post up what you are using it for..

So your questioning if I have touched or heard the amp you must be new....

Heres a list of stuffI have touched, owned and modified.. Would you like to compare

Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Alchemist
Diezel Einstein
VHT Deliverance
Budda Superdrive II Combo
Krank Chadwick
Krank Rev Jr.
Egnator Tourmaster Combo
Blackstar Artisan Series 30
Raven RG100
Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve
Epiphone 25r Slingshot (owned)
Epiphone Valve Jr (owned)
Fender Blues Junior
Fender Champ
Marshall VS100R (owned)
Marshall Jcm 900
Marshall Jcm 800 2203KK
Marshall Vintage 1970's something head
Marshall MG100 Head and Combo
Marshall micro stack
Marshall JTM 60
Peavey Classic
Peavey 5150
Peavey 5150 II
Peavey 6505 Head and combo
Peavey 6505+ Head and combo
Peavey Ultra Plus (owned)
Peavey XXL
Peavey XXX
Peavey Windsor
Peavey JSX
Peavey Valveking Head and combo (owned)
Peavey Vypyr
EVH 5150III
Engl Fireball
Hartke GT100
Crate Blue Voodoo
Crate Flexwave
Crate GX-140D
Crate GT15 (owned)
Crate Palomino
Mesa Triple Rec
Mesa Dual Rec
Mesa Dual Rec Roadster
Mesa Single Rec
Mesa Stiletto Duece
Mesa 5:50 Express
Mesa Studio .22
Randall RH100 (owned)
Randall RG100 Combo
Randall RG50TC
Randall RM100KH
Line 6 Flextone II
Line 6 Spider II
Line 6 Spider III Head and Combo
Line 6 Spider Valve Head and Combo
Line 6 HD 147
Laney LC50
Bugera 6262 combo DOA
Bugera 6260 Head
Bugera 333xl Head
Behringer V-amp Pro
B-52 AT-100
B-52 LS-100
Roland Cube 30
Roland Micro Cube
Smokey Amp (owned)
Danelecto honey tone (owned)
Boutique 30 watt

Pedals and Rack Gear

MXR M86 (owned)
MXR M108 (owned)
Bad Monkey (owned)
Isp Decimator (owned)
Protone Body Rot (owned)
Protone T.V. Delay (owned)
Metalzone (owned)
EHX Metal Muff (owned)
EHX Metal Muff Nano
EHX Big Muff
EHX LPB-1 (owned)
Line 6 Uber Metal (owned)
Boss DS1 (owned)
Zoom GFX1 (owned)
Zoom G2 (owned)
Fab Metal (owned)
Line 6 Verbzilla (owned)
Behringer Hellbabe Wah (owned)
Behringer TU100 (owned)
Ibanez TS9 and Modified Version (owned)
Ibanez TS9 Keeley 808 mod (owned)
Keeley TS9DX Flexi 4x2 (owned)
MXR Distortion + and Modified Version (owned)
Behringer TM300 (owned)
BBE 882I (owned)
BBE 462 (owned)
BBE Boosta Grande
T.C. Electronics M300 (owned)
Digitech Grunge (owned)
Digitech Death metal (owned)
Crybaby Wah (owned)
Danelectro Daddy O
Marshall Gouv'r
Marshall Jackhammer
Boss OC3 (owned)
Russian Big Muff
Mxr Double Shot Distotion
Krank Distortius Maximus
Boss Metalcore
Boss DD-6
Boss NS-2
MI Audio Boost N' Buff
Fulltone Fat boost
Blackstar HT-Boost
Blackstar HT-Dual
Dear God look at the size of his E-Penis! We should probably all listen to anything he says now!
Quote by mattocaster99
Dear God look at the size of his E-Penis! We should probably all listen to anything he says now!

The one with the size issue is the keyboard commando thats pisst off for some reason because I said the amp was decent at higher volumes but not as good at lower volumes.

And you can say that about the size of my T.V. but not the size of my amp list d@mmit lol Hell I think I have spent more time playing other amps then my own...
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
You ask about opinions but don't want to hear any negative opinions? How's fairy tale land treating you?

no i have no problem with negative opinions. i used to actually believe alot of other peoples opinions and would listen to what others thought was "better" or "that **** sucks."

whether negative or positive, they are still opinions.

also i am not a rich man so i cant go out and buy a mesa head or anything similar. new or used.

it gets frustrating when every opinion you have ever had has been bashed to hell on here.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Of course, it's definitely not for everyone, but it's not as horrible as people make them out to be. If you play only a few genres, there's most definitely something out there better for you in the same price range, but if you dab it in a little of everything, it's a great piece of equipment

Your signature is so true...
Quote by sargasm
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx

also i am not a rich man so i cant go out and buy a mesa head or anything similar. new or used.

I saw a Dual Recto go for as low as 700 bucks, and surprisingly, at Guitar Center.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
I saw a Dual Recto go for as low as 700 bucks, and surprisingly, at Guitar Center.

+1

Also Mesa D series, Peavey Triples for $500, 5150 combos for $450, Ultras for $250-400 and the list goes on...
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx

$800 is more than enough to buy quite a few Mesa amps.

Rect/Trem-O-Verb
F-30/50
DC-3/5
Nomad
etc.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
next thing i know he is pullin out a line 6 head i have never seen. to my suprise his tone was amazing! i never thought line 6 could produce anything that sounds that good!

i never thought i would ever buy a line 6 head in my life, ever!!, but i really think im going to get one of these.

You have a Roland Cube 30.

just sayin'

I feel as if im the only one whos enraged by your ignorant remarks on Line 6. You are a prime example of UG's line 6 hate bandwagon. But about the SV,

my friend has the 2x12, and it is LOUD. It definitely does not sound as good turned down, thats for sure, so if its for bedroom practice, stick with your orgasmic tone machine of an amp that beats everything Line 6 makes. oh wait, its a Cube.
Last edited by steel337 at Dec 22, 2008,
I recently bought a Spidervalve head. Overall the sound is really good. You just need to take the time to get a good tone and set it up yourself. Some of the Presets are alright, but you can really get an amazing tone if you take that extra time. Thats something I didn't realize when I first bought it

I would recommend it to anyone
It holds up well at gigs, the only problem is that the noise gate is slightly subpar.