Well im on my final quest for a rig that will last me a long time. But here im only asking about the head. I go by the example that if it doesnt sound good on neutral it wont sound good at all.

I have 5-6 hundred euro to spend on the head(hopefully less), It must be rackmountable as theres other componets i would like to use it with. So here are some amps ive tried and what not, I just want help on a final desicion and pros and cons of these heads. Also must be around 500 watts.

Realisticly 350.

Ashdown Abm evo 2: I love this amp, maybe a bit woolly but i can easily live with that, the valve knob is probably my favourite thing about this. It sounds great on neutral. I played a Fender american standard jazz bass with this and it makes me want a passive again. Apart from the power switch on the back and rumurs about ashdown breaking down alot, is ther anything else bad about this.

Ashdown Mark king sig: This head didnt have any of the wooliness of the abm, and was much more versatile. I found it easy to dile in tones i liked and it sounded amazing on neutral. I would defiantly wont a preamp with this though, I dont feel comfortable with just a graphic eq. The main prob;lem is finding one. I see them evreynow and again on ebay, and they go for around 500. Your views on this head.

Peavey tour 700: This head promised so much and i was so excited about trying this out. I played a fender standard american jazz through this and it was just mud, no matter what i did nothing. But it seems to good, and there so cheap and are always popping up. Should i give it another try.

Trace elliot ah500: I have only played the combos but wow, pretty amazing, and the growl is to die for. If i get one i would prefer to get a pre gibso, rather than post gibson if possible. And i would defiantly have to buy second hand. Are there any issues i should know about with these. The graphic eq was a touch easier to use on this one then on the mark king.

Warwick extreme 5.1\tubepath 5.1: I really enjoyed these amps(oput them together cause i didnt have a huge amount of time with them) i defiantly prefered the tubepath. Very tubey as a hybrid head goes. The extreme head had maybe too many knobs for fun. But all in all very nice heads. I can get a tube path 5.1 and warwick 611 pro for a grand at the moment. Not a bad offer.

Swr Workingpro 700: At first i didnt like it, But it has grown on me, I found the eq confusing though, Some weird knobs i had never heard of. But there was a thud to it i found with the intensifier boosted. With more time with this amp i think i might love this head.

Hartke: I like this amp. Ill write th rest in the morning.

Ebs: I would get one, Way too expensive though. The fafner is amazing.

Others i havent played but would like from videos and such, Gallien and kreuger, there affordable and i love fleas tone that he gets from them. There others that i
cant think of.

I will most likely play these through a matching 1x15 cab and some sort of 2x12.
They will come later. Othe rackmount componets i would be using are, BBE compresser with the sonic maximixer, Korg tuner, Samson power distributer, Some king of preamp maybe.

So what do you think, what do you recommend. I like too many things so need help defining what i want. Suggestions are welcome, Nut must be less then 600, rackmountable and 500 watts or so.

I play mainly quite an aggresive finger style, and alot of slap bass.

Thanks
Fatgoogle
Sam H
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Jan 3, 2009,
The Mark Bass LMII gets very good reviews, you might give that a shot. The GK 700RB is also in your price range, and 480W should be fine.
Nope, no sig here.
The ashdown mag for me isnt as good though and i prefer the tone of the abm. Also i want it to rackmountable.

Sadly corn i havent played a mark bass or gallien kreuge, and i have never seen them in Ireland. The only problem with G&K is they seem to work best with their cabs which seem very expensive as it goes. But if i can play one i wil defiantly look into it. They seem to be good value.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
The only other good one I can find that you haven't mentioned is the Hartke HA5500
http://www.thomann.de/ie/hartke_5500_basshead.htm

Also, it appears the LMII is out of your price range...you folks have strange pricing over there.

Of the ones you mentioned, I like the Trace the best.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Dec 22, 2008,
Im going to bump this because my trace elliot and ashdown attempts went horrible.(bloody ebay) so i was woindering what you all think of the hartke 3500 and the peavey tour 450. Ashdown might still be in the question. I need to get something soon so my band can get practising and gigging.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Have you looked at any Eden stuff?

The world tour series sounds lush.

Dont know much about the Peavey, the Hartke seems to have very good specs. the 10 band EQ sounds awesome.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Eden, i would have to donate sperm for years to get one of those.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Eden, i would have to donate sperm for years to get one of those.

Whats your budget?

And give me some of the sites you are looking at so I can have a look there
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Well now realisticly 350, Im looking on gak and ebay mainly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Eden has a budget line, Nemesis. They are great as well from what I've heard.

The RS400 should be around your price range I think and 400W/4ohm.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Last edited by sam_ofzo at Jan 3, 2009,
The only thing i can find is the RA 700, which is too much. But if i can find it, Remember this is euros and British pounds with the exchange.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Actually its more like 360, Thats coll but im leaning more towards the Hartke now.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I just got an Eden Nemesis RS 400. I really love it. The tone is amazing.
PRS Custom 24
PRS Singlecut Trem
Epiphone ES-355
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone Firebird
Fender Stratocaster
no Carvin?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by thegiaco2112
No Laney ?

TS gets no e-cookies from us. no no.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Get the Hartke. Try to get an old Hartke from the past that is bi ampable. Those are WONDERFUL AMPS. However, you need them to be serviced atleast once a year.
DB Player
Sorry humanity, how can i get Carvin In Europe, Also i havent played a laney. Abornael which ones do you mean by the olser hartke. Like the 3500 thats not in the head cabinet.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
This is my last bump, i can at this moment get a trace elliot preamp, would this be a good idea and i could get a 400watt power amp for not too much. The problem is the preamp is 2u and so is the power amp and then with a tuner and other bits it could get a bit heavy.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
This is my last bump, i can at this moment get a trace elliot preamp, would this be a good idea and i could get a 400watt power amp for not too much. The problem is the preamp is 2u and so is the power amp and then with a tuner and other bits it could get a bit heavy.

wheels?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Do those things go up stairs nicely.......
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Do those things go up stairs nicely.......

hmmm. backwards they can.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

A full flightcase might weigh 60/70lbs or so. Easy enough for two people to carry and usually have well positioned handles.

I've moved a flightcase weighing in at over 100lbs, it's tough work over long distances but not too hard with two people.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Im not sure whether it be a flight case, but an 8u i suppose. Ill see i would prefer to get a head in its own right, but im gasing for trace elliot.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Is it an older Trace preamp?

They're such great preamps. All the trace tone you could want, just add a power amp and you've got yourself a great, flexible rig.

Flightcases are essential if you're rackmounting, they're so handy as well. You can put stuff on top, around, leaning on. If you had them all loose in the back of your car, you'd be constantly worried about them getting knocked about.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Yep, its a pre gibson one. Ill see, im going to see ig i can get something like a ah350 smx though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul