I've heard little to nothing about marshall bass amps, less still about their higher end tube amps (which are supposedly of a high standard in the guitar world). however, my recent search for a good 4x12 cabinet has brought me into contact with this: http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Valve_Bass_Series_by_Marshall.html

Can anyone tell me if it would be advisable to buy this? Are marshall capable of making good bass stacks or are they, like gibson, wholly incapable? and lastly, if it is crap, what other 4x12s (2x12s would be practical too) would you suggest in a similar price range?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
The tube head isnt that bad i think. Its defiantly not the best, But if you can and you like ti get it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Looks good to me. It seems a bit weak in the preamp section, but it should do just fine.
Nope, no sig here.
Looking at that site you can get a pevaey vb2 head, Which i hear is pretty damn amazing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
k, thanks, will check that out.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by yingyangthang
Id say if your going to spend that much, you can easily do better

i agree. with that kind of budget, you've got tons of other options to look at as well.
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Yeah, explore your options futher.
You wont regret doing in the end.

And if the Marshall cabs are good enough for Chris Wolstenholme (sp?)...
they might not be that bad.

Love the Low end
Oh that marshall cab is a beast. Probably the aquarest cab i ve seen. if its the one im thinking of.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I've never heard too favorable reviews of the Marshall bass amps... I'd suggest looking around more.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Lemmy and Chris W. aside, I've never been really fond of Marshall's bass stuff. Its kinda of like Gibson--love the guitar stuff to death, no use for the bass end of things.
Marshall's high end amps are amazing, however they are not for everyone. Look around though, because at that price you have a lot more options available to you.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Dec 23, 2008,
Marshall is a company that's steeped in it's tradition. A lot of their amp designs remain unchanged from when they conceived, and many of them were before bass amps even existed. Marshall is not a bass amp company. I think more guitar players use Marshall bass amps as guitar amps proportionally to guitar using Fender Bassmen as guitar amps.

While that tube head is solid, if not very, very basic and unremarkable, their cabs are not proper bass cabs. The actual cabinetry of a bass cab is of utmost importance, and sticking a 412 or even a 415 in a nice little square as if it were a guitar cab is not good.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
If i remember correctly, Family Man Barret from Bob Marley's band used a Marshall amp. Other than that....eh, Marshall's never lack for volume, but theres plenty of other companies that make more versatile rigs for bass. Im not sure they REALLY have bass in mind when they make their stuff
in my opinion, the biggest problem with Marshall has always seemed to be the cabs, my best experiences with Marshall has been the head through a different cab, I've played it with a Markbass cab once, very solid sound.

but, I would grab a used Mesa Boogie over it any day if I was looking for that tube sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by anarkee
Lemmy and Chris W. aside, I've never been really fond of Marshall's bass stuff. Its kinda of like Gibson--love the guitar stuff to death, no use for the bass end of things.
gibson makes some good basses though. my dad owns a 71' eb3 bass and it has a great sound and feel.