I'm getting a new computer soon and I really want to get a Mac. My question is if there is a major difference between the regular Macbook and the Macbook Pro? Also, if I should just get an iMac instead of either of the laptops?

I plan on recording music, and making some short films in my free time. This computer is going to have to last me through college which i'll be attending by 2010. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
Its a better idea to get a computer that actually is cost effective, not just for showing off.
Quote by 1337void
Its a better idea to get a computer that actually is cost effective, not just for showing off.

Couldn't agree more, get a MacBook Pro.
Don't get The iMac Air or whatever. I've heard the reason it's so thin is it doesn't have a disc drive
MBP. Should be just fine for what you're going to be doing.
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
dont get a mac they have more features but imo(and many other peoples) they dont last that long
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by Steven E
dont get a mac they have more features but imo(and many other peoples) they dont last that long

Less software available = more features?
That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've seen how are you supposed to install stuff like drivers with no cd.. Or install recording programs.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
If you're going to get one, get a Macbook Pro
though I wouldn't suggest wasting your money
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Get an Alienware

Quote by AthenasGhost
That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've seen how are you supposed to install stuff like drivers with no cd.. Or install recording programs.

External disc drive connected via USB maybe.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by Masonpwiley

everything essential is either ported, or you can run windows on a mac. Try to do that on your windows.

iMacs are beast, but i prefer notebooks and suggest the macbook pro. the versatility/transportation factor seems important in college. the Pro should be fit for recording music and movies, as where it can be a bit slow on regular macbooks

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
You need the Macbook Air. Everything else is just too thick and heavy. The normal Macbook weighs approximately 3 tonnes (the CD drive accounting for most of this weight) and is a metre thick, thus making it completely immovable.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by Masonpwiley

I'm sure he meant that these features are standard..

Quote by chipmunksurfer
everything essential is either ported, or you can run windows on a mac. Try to do that on your windows.

iMacs are beast, but i prefer notebooks and suggest the macbook pro. the versatility/transportation factor seems important in college. the Pro should be fit for recording music and movies, as where it can be a bit slow on regular macbooks

Yes and no

Some things are really tricky to run on Windows if you know nothing about computers
(err, running Windows on a Mac that is... Hah, I made a joke if i didn't include this)

But I have to agree; once you get the hang of dual booting OSX/Windows
it is an absolute charm
My brother's MBP runs anything he wants
(I oogle over him being able to play Fallout 3 and all the newer games ON A MAC)

his Mac is the best Windows running computer in the household, by far
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by rich_sg
You need the Macbook Air. Everything else is just too thick and heavy. The normal Macbook weighs approximately 3 tonnes (the CD drive accounting for most of this weight) and is a metre thick, thus making it completely immovable.

if your buying a computer at all, a mac weighs as much as any other laptop. the macbook air is for businessmen that need nothing but excel, word, and email. Complete waste of money when your making things that will most likely be burned to cd's and dvd's

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Go MacBook Pro if you're going to get a laptop.

You get Firewire 800 and 400 ports, plus a 7,200rpm hard drive.

Don't take anyone's word for it about Leopard and how intuitive/crap it is etc etc - just go to an Apple Store and try one out for yourself.

I use a MacBook Pro, with Leopard, after a decade of using Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP and Vista in turn. I personally prefer the Mac.
Quote by AthenasGhost

they expect you to have another mac to connect with it. that means youre into the macintosh corporation for at least three grand, minimum. but at least you have a really thin computer to show off!

macs are a total ripoff, get something more powerful for less money.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by blue_strat
Don't take anyone's word for it about Leopard and how intuitive/crap it is etc etc - just go to an Apple Store and try one out for yourself.

+1
there's nothing new about leopard, it just runs better than any windows computer that i've ever seen

I have a Macbook and I love it.

All Macs can be pricey, but I think pros are way too expensive for not much of an upgrade
go with macbook pro and install vista on it , and run Leopard AND Vista

I friend of mine has that
1 in 10 people are gay

also 1 in 10 own a mac

coincidence i think not!!

cant remember where i saw that
Quote by chipmunksurfer
if your buying a computer at all, a mac weighs as much as any other laptop. the macbook air is for businessmen that need nothing but excel, word, and email. Complete waste of money when your making things that will most likely be burned to cd's and dvd's

Never mind
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
If this was a Linux/Ubuntu thread, it would be closed already, strange....