My computer is telling me that my virtual memory is running low. I think this has to do with the processors or whatever so i went into the task manager and clicked on the "processes" tab and there is a ****load of them running. Basically can I end some of them to clear up some room so the processor isn't so busy? Alot of them have a ".exe" at the end and there are a lot so which ones can I end and what should i keep running?

Thanks
Member of: The anti-zombie alliance
Don't touch those!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
What is showing under Processes is going to depend on what you have on your PC. Virtual memory is know as a page file. You can try to increase the size of your page file. And deleting all the programs and games on your PC that you don't use will also free up ram.
Were you using Guitar Pro at the time of the error message?

If so, did you get it illegally? That could be the cause.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
Were you using Guitar Pro at the time of the error message?

If so, did you get it illegally? That could be the cause.

Legal or not, GP5 sure sucks lots of ram.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
This mean's that you have very little space left on your HDD and as such, windows is low on paging space/ virtaul *not actaul hardware based* memory, clear up some HDD space and it'll be fine.

Also go to start > run > Msconfig.exe and click on services, click hide windows/ MS services and you'll have a list of 3rd party services that are running, you can disable these with out crashing your system, but if you have any 3rd party hardware/ software that depends on these services they wont work.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
thats rubbish iriathz, as bad as saying that illegal dvds burn your soul and are filmed on a small phone under pitch black conditions

dude just have a clean up of any programs you dont need, after that reboot, disk defrag, and there ya go
It's not the Hard Drive.
It is talking about your RAM. RAM is used when you are running a program. So either upgrade you RAM, or start closing programs. Even restarting programs can free up some RAM temporarily. If you start ending processes, you could end some really important ones and get the blue screen of death (It's happened to me lol)
so i should just leave all the stuff running then cuz i rly have no idea when it comes to computers.
Quote by -SpasticInk-
thats rubbish iriathz, as bad as saying that illegal dvds burn your soul and are filmed on a small phone under pitch black conditions

dude just have a clean up of any programs you dont need, after that reboot, disk defrag, and there ya go

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. There's no need to be an arse about it, though - I was only trying to help.

Quote by DirtyMakik
GP5 sure sucks lots of ram.

^ Pretty much exactly what I was trying to say.
My Last.fm
Last edited by Iriathz at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by RoadKill1991
so i should just leave all the stuff running then cuz i rly have no idea when it comes to computers.

Yes. Just close programs you're not using (you don't need 500 games and guitar pro running while you type an essay).
Go to start > run and type msconfig. Go to startup and disable some things. Also run Spybot S&D.

Quote by RPGoof
It's not the Hard Drive.
It is talking about your RAM. RAM is used when you are running a program. So either upgrade you RAM, or start closing programs. Even restarting programs can free up some RAM temporarily. If you start ending processes, you could end some really important ones and get the blue screen of death (It's happened to me lol)

VIRTUAL memory is on your hard drive. Windows copies unused things from the ram to the virtual memory to free up RAM.
Quote by RPGoof
Yes. Just close programs you're not using (you don't need 500 games and guitar pro running while you type an essay).

Process may not mean program. Don't touch any of them unless you're sure of what they are and that it won't affect the integrity of your computer.
funkyducky

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
well thats the thing i only have UG and itunes open but it can still be slow sometimes
how can i be sure what i can disable in the msconfig thing?
Quote by RoadKill1991
well thats the thing i only have UG and itunes open but it can still be slow sometimes

Try scanning your computer.

Now, in case that was once again an ignorant suggestion, I'm going to activate my flame-shield.
My Last.fm
Quote by Iriathz
Try scanning your computer.

Now, in case that was once again an ignorant suggestion, I'm going to activate my flame-shield.

Spyware and viruses can hog up RAM and virtual memory and whatever, so it's not such a bad idea.
Quote by RoadKill1991
how can i be sure what i can disable in the msconfig thing?

You can disable anything. If any of your hardware uses the programs that you disable, they may not work. You also want to leave your antivirus enabled and any other programs you want to start when you turn on your PC. You can tell what they are by the name or the location. If not, you can google them and see what they are.
you could turn off some of the processes but i would recommend leaving the ones that have SYSTEM next to the name alone. The Rest that have either ADMIN or "your name" next to the names can be closed but again at your own risk.

Except Explorer.exe <-- this is the windows bar at the bottom of your screen.

If you close something that screws your computer just open it again by going to: File/ New Task (Run...) and enter the name of whatever you closed plus .exe
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Have you tried a restart?

Quote by Masonpwiley

VIRTUAL memory is on your hard drive. Windows copies unused things from the ram to the virtual memory to free up RAM.

What you're referring to is swap memory.
Quote by Mad Marius
What you're referring to is swap memory.

It's the same thing. RAM is just called memory, not virtual memory.