^^ I've just started trying to learn so I was interested in how long it took others! Also wondering if anyone could recommend some songs that'd help learning how to do it.
You talk about it if it's a generalised thing.

What is "mastered"?

I believe that if ur sweeps totally satisfy ur musical goal u have "mastered" it. You can't generalize this.

Music isn't a mastered concept.

There are constantly people who can make faster, cleaner or more complex sweeps every year.

It's never mastered. It will probably go as far as making 12 string sweeps. OR sweep tap string skips sweep tap on doubleneck guitars; w/e.

There are always new ways to be found to play something.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 22, 2008,
Already searched it, didn't find anything. Thought I'd type that in original post but didn't coz I thought people would be understanding...

Mastered, any kind of decent level where you can consistantly play it cleanly, not expecting you to do it upside-down, blind-folded or in a lion enclosure... though that would be cool, if you could do all that at once!

EDIT: Though fair point wwith the 'mastered' thng, I just type quicker than I think!
I guess you more or less mean , understand sweeping, and by that i mean, your hands understand the motions involved and your mind undertands theory, even though there are nearly endless possibilities, that general knowledge is probably what you mean..

As guys above have said, i'm no where near a master, especially now. But I taught my self and it took me about 3 weeks of non stop practise when I was quite young. I could never seem to understand some things involved. But I could rip at all the 1st inversion major minor shapes.

Then about a year later I had a shred teacher and within a week I was already better, 100x better. Was practising more and harder things. Learnt some Paganini which I don't remember and learnt Serrana for my final music exams at school.

Now i'm terrible at sweeping because the past year i've focused more of feeling and tone and so forth.. But i'm going to get back into the swing of things. It doesn't take long as long as you're dedicated.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band
Quote by EL2T
Already searched it, didn't find anything. Thought I'd type that in original post but didn't coz I thought people would be understanding...

You have to understand, this type of thread comes up so often. Someone makes a thread similar to this almost every week, or that's how much it feels like to me.
Quote by Mattalac
I guess you more or less mean , understand sweeping, and by that i mean, your hands understand the motions involved and your mind undertands theory, even though there are nearly endless possibilities, that general knowledge is probably what you mean..

As guys above have said, i'm no where near a master, especially now. But I taught my self and it took me about 3 weeks of non stop practise when I was quite young. I could never seem to understand some things involved. But I could rip at all the 1st inversion major minor shapes.

Then about a year later I had a shred teacher and within a week I was already better, 100x better. Was practising more and harder things. Learnt some Paganini which I don't remember and learnt Serrana for my final music exams at school.

Now i'm terrible at sweeping because the past year i've focused more of feeling and tone and so forth.. But i'm going to get back into the swing of things. It doesn't take long as long as you're dedicated.

I know what u mean.

Sweeping is a annoying skill. It needs to be maintained, if I don't sweep for a week I already feel it go sloppy again, it's real bitchin'.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Freepower
No-one on UG has "mastered" sweep picking. It took me about a year to get to the level I am now, and I haven't advanced since.

???

How would you know?

I think that at least 1 of the 1.000.000 members has.
Well, I've heard a lot of the best UGers play, guys who have been professionals for 20+ years and young hot shred gods in waiting, and to say any that I have heard have been even in the same league as a true "master" of sweep picking (for example, Gambale, Cooley, etc) would be untrue.

I accept your point as valid, but perhaps my standard for mastery is different to yours?

I have heard some truly impressive technical command of the instrument, including flawless sweeping (and on a fretless too, in one case), but I haven't heard anything in the same league as mastery.

This would be among the best sweeping I've heard on UG, would you say that it belongs to a master? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Bonsaischaap/skills/play111431

Anyway, I cede that my certainty is unfounded.
Quote by Freepower
Well, I've heard a lot of the best UGers play, guys who have been professionals for 20+ years and young hot shred gods in waiting, and to say any that I have heard have been even in the same league as a true "master" of sweep picking (for example, Gambale, Cooley, etc) would be untrue.

I accept your point as valid, but perhaps my standard for mastery is different to yours?

I have heard some truly impressive technical command of the instrument, including flawless sweeping (and on a fretless too, in one case), but I haven't heard anything in the same league as mastery.

This would be among the best sweeping I've heard on UG, would you say that it belongs to a master? http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Bonsaischaap/skills/play111431

Anyway, I cede that my certainty is unfounded.

The sweep picking heard here is only 10 seconds long, I would say that a master could sweep pick for at least 1 min and keep it interesting.
I do think that Bonsaischaap could do that
i havent mastered it at all but i think ive got the technique down, all i did was sweep bar chords up on the 12th fret, i find e major and a minor easiest
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
The sweep picking heard here is only 10 seconds long, I would say that a master could sweep pick for at least 1 min and keep it interesting.
I do think that Bonsaischaap could do that

That's hardly mastery though.

I mean, if you asked Steve Vai if he had mastered his instrument, would he say -

"Sure, I can play it for at least a minute and keep it interesting!"

Nor, if you asked Bonsai, would he say "Sweeping? Yeah, I've got that mastered.".

Anyhoo, you understand me and I understand you, lets leave it at that, eh?
Quote by Freepower
That's hardly mastery though.

I mean, if you asked Steve Vai if he had mastered his instrument, would he say -

"Sure, I can play it for at least a minute and keep it interesting!"

Nor, if you asked Bonsai, would he say "Sweeping? Yeah, I've got that mastered.".

Anyhoo, you understand me and I understand you, lets leave it at that, eh?

Oh comon, the 1 minute was just an example.
If someone can sweep for over a minute at like 180 BPM in 16th notes or whatever without a single mistake, over the whole neck in different modes, you could probably say that he has mastered the technique.
Now all he'd have to do is sweep pinch harmonic that
There's much easier ways to play arps than with PHs, the 4th, 5th and 7th frets of each string make up a major arp.

But yes, you can very easily sweep harmonics. Hold the pick with your middle and use your index for the node and you can get upstrokes as well as down and just do 'em till you're heart's content.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
you can seriously sweep-pinch an arpeggio?
That must sound awesome!

Not that hard, doesn't sound great (Though some people can make them sound amazing) Unless you pinch the top of it.
As for Getting used to sweep picking, It took me about 3 months to be able to do it fluently, then another 3 months to be able to play basically any arpeggio you throw at me. Give me any arpeggio ( within reasonable speed, no freaking augmented arpeggios, played at 128th notes at 300 BPM, lol) and Im able to play it.
I found sweeping alot easier to learn than I thought. Probably took about 6 months to be decent at it.