Hello,

I purchases my first guitar an Epiphone SG a few months back. Since then I have been only playing off of tabs and im still not very good. In my opinion just because you can play a song from a tab doesn't mean you can "play" the guitar. Since I cannot afford lessons right now. I really want to know where should i start to learn the guitar the correct way. I dont need practice with timing or anything because i also play the drums. My ultimate goal is to be-able to write a song as a one man band. I know it kind of sounds corny but i think it would be neat. Anyways any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeremy
All I can say is, when people tell you to check the links in their signatures. Listen to them.
I say you should learn some scales. Scales help make up ur own riffs and stuff. just play anything with in the scale and you'll be making up stuff in no time.
bitch ive been playing from tabs, just because u play from tabds doesnt mean u cant play, i can play from notes and tabd, i find it eaiser for tabs, but yea, learn scales
I meant just trying to learn the guitar playing tabs...Learning off of tabs teaches you nothing but where to place your finger...
Quote by JBouchard1087
I meant just trying to learn the guitar playing tabs...Learning off of tabs teaches you nothing but where to place your finger...

I kinda have to disagree wwith that if u get exposed to alot of tabs it also exposes u to different techniques like sliding, hammer-ons, pull offs, etc. so at the same time learn some tabs and scales i have been playing a year and a half and im getting pretty good and i only know 1 scale by heart. so keep on practicing those tabs and u'll do just fine
Definatly want to start learning every note on the fretboard...Be able to locate a C#,Ab,B or whatever all over the neck. I would say thats the first and most important thing at this point.

Your'e going to want to learn how music works so what i would do is pick up a good Music Theory book ("Complete Idiots Guide to Music Theory" would be a good one") and start learning from the beginning of the book. There are also alot of other sources for Music Theory...The Crusade located in the columns of this site is a great source as well along with Google, lol.

Learning those notes first are essential though because they're going to help you later on in different chord voicings(after learning how to construct them), scales and modes, and alot of other things as well. Just dont forget to apply what you learn to your guitar practice. Maybe take about three days on each string learning all the notes on that string all the way up to fret 22-24.(You'll notice that after you hit fret thirteen you're back at the same pattern you notice at fret 1 -12.) Don't forget to have fun with it and learn some more of those tabs if you wish...guitar shouldn't be completely boring.
Gear

-Ibanez S2170 prestige
-Boss MetalZone Distortion Pedal
-No Named brand 15watt cube practice amp
hey jeremy i found this website and it helped me get started and i could play just about anything and i promise you don't have to pay for it. he gives you 12 free guitar lessons then he will ask if you want to start. it starts out really really basic but eventually you will get into the good stuff it's worth the wait and worth having to listen to the dudes gay voice but still i recomend it. it's http://vguitarlessons.com/
Quote by ClosedOffCircle
Definatly want to start learning every note on the fretboard...Be able to locate a C#,Ab,B or whatever all over the neck. I would say thats the first and most important thing at this point.

Ab? Explain how I can play that one.
Well if you can play off tabs, maybe you should learn how to read music, learn a few songs off by heart, and if you really want to know how to write a song, ask me.
I have been playing a year and i did/do have pirvate lessons once a week from a family friend.

Anyway, i started off learning basic chords and simple variations of them, i bought a fender chord finder book awhile back and it helped tremendously.

Also learn some basic scales, then once you feel ready learn some more advanced stuff like tectonic scales etc.

I started writing music two weeks ago and i've almost got a song written that im comfortable with (shaddup im trying :P )
Quote by voteforpedro36
Ab? Explain how I can play that one.

He probably means A Flat or A sharp/B flat
Practice *Paranoid* by *Black Sabbath*

I always recommend it....

There are hammer on..pull off exercises...palm muting..power rhythm..bends
and a textbook extended pentatonic solo.

It's not insanely hard..but has most of the skills you need to practice.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Learn some theory first kid.
Once you've got a basic understanding of the components which make up music, you can expand your knowledge to write your own songs.

Also, practise simple techniques such as Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, Legato Slides etc.
And all you can do is... well practise.
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Quote by JBouchard1087

No...just, no...Scales will not teach you song structure, finger exercises will not show you what elements of song provide buildups, high energy moments, harmonies, ect. theres way more to making music than theory and skill.
Emotion>Skill
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by Washburnd Fretz
Practice *Paranoid* by *Black Sabbath*

I always recommend it....

There are hammer on..pull off exercises...palm muting..power rhythm..bends
and a textbook extended pentatonic solo.

It's not insanely hard..but has most of the skills you need to practice.

I never realized this, but you're entirely right. That's a perfect practice song.
Thanks for all the input, im definitely going to give it all a try. Heres one more question though, my guitar is an Epiphone SG Special Model. I recently had it tuned at a guitar shop when the nut was fixed on it, but in my opinion is sounds like trash, is this a junk guitar or is there something internally wrong with it. I dont believe its the amp im using... My current amp is a Marshall MG Series 30 DFX. But nothing sounds clear on it, i really dont know how to explain teh sound other then trashy, even on the clean channel its garbage. I was thinking about putting new pickups in it but i was looking at the EMG 81/85 combo but I dont think they'd sound good in such a cheap guitar. I know im just learning but I have a hard time practicing if i cant stand the way it sounds.
The guitars pickups I think are trash the guitars not but the pick ups are i suggest the emgs
KURTY KOBAIN
Quote by JBouchard1087
Thanks for all the input, im definitely going to give it all a try. Heres one more question though, my guitar is an Epiphone SG Special Model. I recently had it tuned at a guitar shop when the nut was fixed on it, but in my opinion is sounds like trash, is this a junk guitar or is there something internally wrong with it. I dont believe its the amp im using... My current amp is a Marshall MG Series 30 DFX. But nothing sounds clear on it, i really dont know how to explain teh sound other then trashy, even on the clean channel its garbage. I was thinking about putting new pickups in it but i was looking at the EMG 81/85 combo but I dont think they'd sound good in such a cheap guitar. I know im just learning but I have a hard time practicing if i cant stand the way it sounds.

The MG gets hate around here, but maybe just try playing with the EQ (bass/mid/treble -although I'm not sure if the MG has a mid). It's a beginner guitar. It's not going to be pretty. Just save up some cash and get a roland cube (what I have - it's awesome) or a Peavey Vypyr (apparently very good). Both cheap amps that sound great for bedrooms.

And for your original question, I recommend The Crusade by Josh Urban, and The Ultimate Guide to Guitar by ZeGuitarist.
Quote by mrparker90
hey jeremy i found this website and it helped me get started and i could play just about anything and i promise you don't have to pay for it. he gives you 12 free guitar lessons then he will ask if you want to start. it starts out really really basic but eventually you will get into the good stuff it's worth the wait and worth having to listen to the dudes gay voice but still i recomend it. it's http://vguitarlessons.com/

I braced myself for his voice but burst into fits of laughter at his hairdo
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
I also think I need to get into the basics for actual guitar playing, so I can get some form and structure, but I didn't know where to start first, chords, scales, or theory... :/
Quote by crazy8rgood

Oh, look at those naughty waffles and their banana's...

*fapfapfapfapfap*

(if this is against the rules, I'll take it down.)
Quote by Freepower
Sig. Free.

Nice one freepower i learned more in the first 2 minutes of your first video than i did in nearly a year myself!

The bit about the note being the same 5 frets and 1 string away made me pause the video and laugh out loud...either that or i would have cried! Why could i not have watched the video a year ago?? I could not believe and still can't believe how simple it is!

Keep up the good work
The cat taught the tiger everything he knows. One day the tiger turned on the cat and the cat ran up a tree. That was the one thing the cat never taught the tiger.
Learn you theory, chords an scales. Belive me ive been playing for 2 years, and after about 1 year i learned those basic things, and now i am on a new level of playing.

Also, buy THEORY FOR THE CONTEMPORARY GUITARIST !! Its a great book, and It is really awesome. And then, if your are doing one style, learn licks in that style. I am a shredder, so when i needed to practice my tapping, i would find a tapping lick somewhere, ETC....