Hey guys,

I've been playing in Drop C for almost a year now and last week I had to tune to Standard E. The feeling was amazing, much tighter sound and easier play.

Now my question is, how to get this tight play in Drop C considering I already play with DR .10 - .56.

Cheers.
Gear:

Gibson LP Studio EMG 81/85
Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
buy heavier strings. 12 or 13 maybe.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
I got the heavy bottom light end. .56 is already very thick, can't I adjust the bridge or something?
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
No you need to get heavier strings, if you don't like them at first just wait and you'll get used to it.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
I just ordered the GHS Zakk Wylde set, .60 - .10, lets wait and see
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
telephone pole cables..lol...work great though....you may need to use a file to get them to fit inside the nut. Make sure your tuners are pretty good.

You dont need really heavy strings on the top. The lower strings are where your rhythm is coming from in Drop-c. The high gauges on that zakk wylde set will help you cut through the mix for solos.

Light guages on the high end...help with singing vibrato, wails and trill. Also staying light on top is cool because you can bend up a full step or step and a half. 12s are rough.

Metal...or NuMetal uses hard rhythm and wild sound effects on solos and riffs. Going heavy on top can take away options.

Heavy tops can produce harmonics a little better...but a light top is the way to go IMO.
The same harmonics can be produced at different places..so using heavy gauges for harmonics on top ..is just a shortcut that you pay for by limiting other techniques.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Dec 22, 2008,
you need heavier all around, not just bottom. DR mega heavy's or something in the 12+ range.
Studies have shown that 92% of guitar players are close-minded. Copy this into your signature if you're part of the 8% who enjoy rap.

Me
Thanks guys,

I play hardcore/metalcore like Misery Signals, Shai Hulud and Architects. I'll just wait and see how these will work out.
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
on my other guitar(the high E broke) I have the custom gauge zakk wylde set and it tunes to drop C fine not loose either imo
Quote by SkyValley
Kids keep having sex younger and younger these days. Eventually kids will be born without their virginity and their first words will be "bow chicka bow wow."
The Zakk wylde sounds too heavy to me, think I'll try the golden midway :P
Gear:

Engl P-Ball
Marshall 1960A
M-M-Monstercable Rock
You cant go from drop C tuning to standard E without adjusting the neck's tension(truss rod). This adjustment will make any tuning "easier" and tighter to play, if thats what the player is looking for.

Same thing goes for different string gauge. Different sizes pull different on the neck, so going from .09 to .12 or even .11 is a bit of a stretch for the neck.