Hi, i need advice on how to learn to play fast solos .. like master of puppets, the trooper, disposable heroes .. yeah i play mostly metallica and iron maiden.

My rhythm playing has improved alot lately and i can play all songs from kill em all and master of puppets pretty good now. I have never really practiced certain things, always been like when i cant play some parts i just skip them and play something easier and after a few weeks when i go back to it i can play it.

But my soloing is just horrible ... i cant really play solos at all. The fastest solo i can play that sounds good is stairway to heaven

So what to do ? Play scales ? Take a fast and hard solo and just start at 20% speed in GP and slowly increase ?
Or just recommend me some solos thats easy but still considerd "fast".

Thanks
just keep practicing them over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
there are a bunch of youtube videos, but one in particular whose name i can't remember but that guy teaches you how to play the whole master of puppets and one and such like. the bits i focused on were the solos, clearly, but he does it really well. he is a british guy and i think in the background it had fast licks library or something. some guy had a dvd of it which he put up. but if you can find it its really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVObbqzlICM thats it. just click on the appropriate parts you want to wawtch.
dude, i have the same problem. i can play rhythm really good, but when it comes to soloing, i suck.. it's so annoying. i have gotten a little bit better, i can do the first solo in the trooper, so i guess that's a start? all i really did was practice a lot.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Quote by awesomeness
dude, i have the same problem. i can play rhythm really good, but when it comes to soloing, i suck.. it's so annoying. i have gotten a little bit better, i can do the first solo in the trooper, so i guess that's a start? all i really did was practice a lot.

yeah i know .. i even had ppl asking how i can be so bad at soloing

did you start slow on the trooper solo or did you just practice it alot at full speed ?
yeah same here. it's annoying as hell haha. but yeah, first i just learned the notes and just kinda played it on my own without the music. Then i started to play the full song and then do the parts of the solo i was best at. and then i just moved on to playing the solo again and again til i got it right. it took me a little while but you'll definitely get it.
Quote by dubstar92
Hockey is blatant racism... White guys hitting black pucks with sticks.

Quote by sw1ss023
awesomeness scares me
he makes me want to scream "wee"
he gives me a boner

My Band - Facebook

Twitter - Metal_Quotes

last.fm

-jakewilliams.tumblr.com
Learn to play lots of slower solos very well first.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I, personally, don't like memorizing solos. I would advise that you find out what scale is used in songs and improvise along those scales. That's what I usually do (except in some cases where the solo is really just a part of the song and not solo). Memorizing solos just seems wrong to me.
Try the Nightwish solo in my profile it's like the best simple solo ever! It's not too fast and is real catchy!

If you have a program like Audacity i would use that, you can slow the solo down and break it down into sections so when you have nailed one section move on to the next bit, that's how i do it.
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Last edited by Big_Rat at Dec 23, 2008,
Quote by Dopesmoker666
I, personally, don't like memorizing solos. I would advise that you find out what scale is used in songs and improvise along those scales. That's what I usually do (except in some cases where the solo is really just a part of the song and not solo). Memorizing solos just seems wrong to me.

Learning solos is a valuable exercise, it's good to see the notes somebody chose and how they fit with the chord progression. It improves your understanding of soloing in general and they're also good to learn simply from a technique point of view.

Also, quite often "I prefer to improvise solos" can translate as "I'm too lazy/not good enough to learn solos so I fudge the bits that are too complicated".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Learning solos is a valuable exercise, it's good to see the notes somebody chose and how they fit with the chord progression. It improves your understanding of soloing in general and they're also good to learn simply from a technique point of view.

Also, quite often "I prefer to improvise solos" can translate as "I'm too lazy/not good enough to learn solos so I fudge the bits that are too complicated".

That, too. However, I feel like I'd rather not plays exactly the same thing as whoever's song I'm covering. I like to make it my own in some way.
That's fair enough, but I still think it's important to learn the original solo first, particularly for a a less experienced player.

Having said that, there's arguably more skill required to play the same notes but still manage to imprint your own style on it. It's like singing, people have the same words and same melody but listen to Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen singing Hallelujah...it's like different songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

- Get your techniques right (hammer-ons, pull offs, alternate picking etc.)
- Learn the solo in parts
- Practice harder sections with a metronome at low speeds, slowly increasing the speed only after u can play it cleanly
I had this same problem. What happened is I knew I couldn't play a Metallica solo so I was ike "Why bother?" so I never actually tried to learn anything. But what you have to do is push yourself. Find a solo you KNOW you can't play. I don't mean some crazy Buckethead solo, but something thats difficult for you. For me I think it was either Enter Sandman or One or something a couple years ago. it may actually surprise you that some of the stuff that sounds hard is easy-ish after playing a couple times through. Then the parts that are really hard, for me it was the Dorian lick after the tapping in One, just play it slow making sure you hit every note. Then start playing a little faster. Then a little faster, If you continue to play the same part over and over for even as short as a week, I bet you'd be surprised what difference it can make.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
Quote by Dopesmoker666

How will that improve my soloing ? I think i need to get the technique down before i can start comming up with my own solos/licks etc. and seriously it must be way better to just take a solo and try to nail it, cus theres so much to chose between, rather then making up my own stuff and practice it.

Thx for all replies btw, im gonna start with the four horsemen solos!
The Trooper's solo is not fast.

Practice makes perfect, start it slowly and you'll get it.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by crazyace2
How will that improve my soloing ? I think i need to get the technique down before i can start comming up with my own solos/licks etc. and seriously it must be way better to just take a solo and try to nail it, cus theres so much to chose between, rather then making up my own stuff and practice it.

Thx for all replies btw, im gonna start with the four horsemen solos!

THAT improves your technique.

Solos are basically hand-chosen notes from a scale that in most cases, sound good due to that it fits with the song itself. If you practice a scale, say the Blues scale and move it all around the fretboard, you visually and physically enhance your fretting hand by enabling it to play those notes in sequences you come up as you do so, shaping your hand's movement naturally to the chosen scale.

A solo is made in the same way. By practicing a scale so much, to the point it becomes a innate mechanism in your hand, solos by favorite artists of yours may be related to the way you practiced licks or scales, or even to some improvisation you came up with, showing your mind past images of the scale practices, visualizing the relativity to the solo you want to play, and therefore, it will feel natural on how your hand will move, react, fret according to the speed and notes actually used in a solo.

Say for example One by Metallica, rather than never done scales before, you will understand them already and why these notes where chosen together and what fingers you should use. (you can use any that feel good to you)

Hope it helps.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Write your own solos. Come up with your own motifs, develop them. I freaking hate scales.

Practicing music is soo much more motivating and satisfying than going 1234234134124123.l...ad nausem

I think up cool sounding licks, slow them down in my head, and translate it to the fretboard.