Ok, well im trying to build an ebow, and a nail wrapped with wire dosent work, and i tried to take apart a rumbler, and use that for one so i know a vibrator wount work, so, how do i make an ebow (im just doing this to experiment with guitar stuff building, so its ok if i dont learn how to make one by the end of the year.)

Edit: The rumbler came from an old xbox controller.
Last edited by selibucaz at Dec 22, 2008,
Sorry, just to clarify...you took apart your mothers vibrator...?! Try an electric toothbrush, or an electric nail filer, anyway its probably best just to get an eBow, they aren't that expensive.
I call shens on the vibrator thing. No way in hell that could even be plausible.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
ebows use elecromagnetic fields, there is no way a vibrator would produce anywhere near the same sound.
Hello
An ebow works using magnets, I am assuming the vibrator thing your talking about is actual physical vibrations moving the string?
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by minibrowny
Sorry, just to clarify...you took apart your mothers vibrator...?! Try an electric toothbrush, or an electric nail filer, anyway its probably best just to get an eBow, they aren't that expensive.

NO YOU SICK PERSON, ITS FROM AN XBOX CONTROLLER, SHES MAD BECAUSE I LEFT THE REMAINS IN THE TOOL SHED
Quote by Boogie Man
An ebow works using magnets, I am assuming the vibrator thing your talking about is actual physical vibrations moving the string?

no, the feild produced from the motor i was trying to use, i was not touching the strings, but the pickup picked up the motors noise
Quote by selibucaz
NO YOU SICK PERSON, ITS FROM AN XBOX CONTROLLER, SHES MAD BECAUSE I LEFT THE REMAINS IN THE TOOL SHED

Alright, calm it. What you said was incredibly ambiguous, to a a 'sick person' or not, a vibrator carries certain connotations.
call it a rumbler or something then man.

EDIT: You know what, that even sounds sexual. nvm

Quote by minibrowny
Alright, calm it. What you said was incredibly ambiguous, to a a 'sick person' or not, a vibrator carries certain connotations.

ok, im sorry, and i blame acedental caps lock
did you hook the nail wrapped with wire up to a battery?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
you can get schematics online, they were posted in another thread... or google it
did you know that if you hold your phone up to your pickups while its ringing it will play it through the amp? Its quite entertaining.

But on topic, you couldnt make an ebow that way. You could go with the old three picks on a drill technique though.
i thought i was in the pit for a second when i read the title...
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by walker-rose
did you hook the nail wrapped with wire up to a battery?

DC current. Wouldn't do a thing.

My guess is it's some kind of oscillator circuit. The guitar string provides the frequency of oscillation and it just continuously feeds back on itself.
I call ultimate fail to this thread.
/thread
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
i post to negate your use of /thread, although i agree on conferring epic fail status to this thread

I wasnt saying it would be like an ebow, but its an alternative. Not quite the same thing, but fun to play with.
A proper eBow actually works by picking up the signal from the string, amplifying it, and then inducing the signal back into the pickup. It's like feedback at a specific pitch.

The eBow has two little coils of wire inside: one picks up the sound, like a small guitar pickup, and the other induces it into the guitar pickup. I saw a diagram somewhere. Google that ****.
i tried using a little magnet. it kills sustain like crazy but when the sound dies, the string keeps vibrating. fail.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack