The battery in my truck is doneskies so I need to charge it. I have the charger with all of the cables, etc. But I don't to get blown up.

Tried google and wikihow. Only made me more scared because of all of the intense-sounding gasses that could potentially kill me.

so if someone could walk me through it, that'd be great.

Thanks, UG.

p.s. There's probably an Ultimate Car Thread or something but I've not the time nor the patience to look through it. and this kind of has to be done sooner rather than later.
Hook the red to the red and the black to the black
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
red = positive, black= negative
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
Now when people say "Congratulations, I heard you just had a baby" you can say "Thanks! It was delicious."

/#1 reason for having a kid.

PSN: YosemiteSam13
hook up positive (red) first, then ground it (black)

DONT leave it charging in a closed/confined space.

let it charge around 200A for about 2-4 hours.

charge it on your porch or in your backyard or something, NOT in garage
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by Colton165
hook up positive (red) first, then ground it (black)

DONT leave it charging in a closed/confined space.

let it charge around 200A for about 2-4 hours.

charge it on your porch or in your backyard or something, NOT in garage

I was about to ask if I shouldn't do it in my garage because of my water heater. is it safe to charge it on my driveway with the charger plugged into a socket in the garage?
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I was about to ask if I shouldn't do it in my garage because of my water heater. is it safe to charge it on my driveway with the charger plugged into a socket in the garage?

Yes sir.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Plug it in to google.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr

yes.

lol at water heater.

i said no to garge because its a closed space and will contain the hydrogen gas, which isnt poisonous, but if anything catches fire, goes off, you light a cigarette, etc, BOOOM!

hydrogen gas (H2) is colorless, odorless, etc; and extremely EXTREMELY explosive.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
do it outside ftw!

v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by Colton165
yes.

lol at water heater.

i said no to garge because its a closed space and will contain the hydrogen gas, which isnt poisonous, but if anything catches fire, goes off, you light a cigarette, etc, BOOOM!

hydrogen gas (H2) is colorless, odorless, etc; and extremely EXTREMELY explosive.

yea, google's told me that as well. Another problem I've forgotten to mention though:

I can't turn the car on(obviously). not only can I not start the car, I can't even get the radio to play or the lights to flash when I lock/unlock it, etc. so to get it onto my driveway, I can still put it in reverse and just let it go, correct?

EDIT: Just tried it. Can't put it in reverse. what if I just leave my garage door open?
Last edited by Wrst_Plyr_Evr at Dec 22, 2008,
you should be able to, unless your transmission or drivetrain is f***ed as well, lol.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Quote by 0RI0N
Hook the red to the red and the black to the black

yep
You like it
throw it in neutral to get it out of the garage, then charge it.
Quote by bass-man9712
after i clicked all i could think was "please don't be goatse, please dont be goatse"

PSN: Effigyoferebus (feel free to add it)
Take the leads off the battery and make sure they don't contact the battery after that. Undo the red first, then black.

Clamp the leads to the battery from the charger, then plug it into the wall
Give it an hour or whatever the manual suggests.
Unplug the charger then unplug it from the wall.
Reattach cables to the battery putting black on first, then red.

You should do this outside, not in the garage as the gas from batteries can come out the vent a little when charging.

Read the manual for the battery charger, that will go over connections and charge times.
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
Take the leads off the battery and make sure they don't contact the battery after that...undo the red first, then black.

clamp the leads to the battery from the charger, then plug it into the wall. Give it an hour or whatever the manual suggests. unplug, unclip, reattach cables putting black on first, then red.

define "leads" for me, please. I thought I was supposed to just clamp to the screw and possibly ground the negative clamp to something on the engine.
Quote by moody07747
"leads" being the wires going from the batteries with the little clamps on them.

as I said, go thought the battery chargers manual for the proper connections and such.

going from the batteries into the car?

and I would if I had it. the charger belongs to a friend of ours. One who isn't too technologically savvy.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
going from the batteries into the car?

and I would if I had it. the charger belongs to a friend of ours. One who isn't too technologically savvy.

Dude if you find yourself incapable of charging your battery after reading this thread let somebody else do it. Seriously you're going to hurt yourself.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
yea you have the leads going from the battery to the car....and then the leads going from the battery charger to the clamps which attach to the battery terminals.

Try looking the manual up online. I'm sure you can find one with google.
Search the brand and model number of the charger.

Quote by Jackal58
Dude if you find yourself incapable of charging your battery after reading this thread let somebody else do it. Seriously you're going to hurt yourself.

+1

Only do this if you feel you can, this isnt something to mess around with because you can get hurt quite easily.
Tow that sum' bitch!
Quote by Adam...?
I generally try to avoid being that guy, but I'm not going to lie to you, it's possible that I shit in a friend's dresser once.

Quote by Jackintehbox
Coke tastes like a can of smashed assholes, so yes there is a difference.

I am USUALLY the nicest one here.
Quote by Jackal58

I'm considering it. I just called up my friend and asked him for a jump. I'm a car noob when it comes to batteries, really. everything else I'm alright with.

alright, Pit. thanks for everything.
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Anyone on UG know how to charge a car battery?

yes

very carefully
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
Place hands on leads, squeeze hands, place leads on battery, open hands, go to bed, wake up, drive.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
How is this so difficult?

To put the car in neutral turn the key to the on position (not the "start" position). Then you can push the car. OR, just take the battery out of the car. To do this disconnect the red "wire" (lead) and then the black one, and there is probably a clamp held down by a screw that you have to undo to lift out the battery. The battery is heavy but it is lighter than the car.

Hook up the black wire from the charger then the red wire and plug it in, for how long depends on the charger. It is better for the battery to do a long, slow charger rather than a fast charge, but it depends on your charger and what kind of charge it is capable of.

When it's done charging do it all in reverse. Unhook the red then the black wires from the charger, put the battery back in if you took it out, then hook up the black and the red again.

Basically all men with a brain can do this, and even some women.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself