I have finally decided to get a new bass, and i have around 500USD saved up for a new bass. I work at a music shop and can get quite a big discount on each of these basses.

These two models are really the only ones that are worth it in my shop, the rest are either squiers or yamahas.

What I want to know are the pros and cons of each bass, I play in a rock band and im stepping up from a squier jazz.

Personally I prefer the SR500 over the Jazz although I have heard that the Ibanez's neck is weak, but thats why I asked you guys.

Thanks for any advice you can provide to help me make my decision.

Link to Fender Jazz: here

Link to the Ibanez SR500: here
Last edited by grifff at Dec 22, 2008,
Those two i would choose the jazz, But thats for me. And the neck isnt going to be a huge problem get the ibanez, you obviosuly like it more.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Jazz's typically have more of a crunch/growl to them, the Ibanez is usually clearer. Theyre both superb, but the jazz with probably last longer and cross over into different musical genre's better. Personally i love jazz bass tones, but i own a sig jazz and a Ibanez 5 string, and i still prefer the jazz. Your call though man, some people really like Ibanez's.
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
Jazz's typically have more of a crunch/growl to them, the Ibanez is usually clearer. Theyre both superb, but the jazz with probably last longer and cross over into different musical genre's better. Personally i love jazz bass tones, but i own a sig jazz and a Ibanez 5 string, and i still prefer the jazz. Your call though man, some people really like Ibanez's.

What genres would the Ibanez suit best? I like a little slap even though thats not what I mainly play.
I found it hard too slap on the 500, because of the smaller string spacing. I also found the neck to be too thin, though the 505 is perfect. I really like the tone on the ibanez, and it's verstile, too. I play it for every genre, really. I personally don't like Fenders, so I'll leave that to someone else to describe it.

That picture of the 500 doesn't do the colour justice, in case you didn't know (: Good luck to finding your new bass!

EDIT: it's not as if the one of the two basses proposed is really bad, while the other is good. (ex, thunderbird vs sr500) Whichever bass you choose is going to be a solid one. Take your time, and keep trying both out.
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Dec 22, 2008,
I'd go for the Ibanez SR500.
I tried different kind of jazz basses, and I just didn't like them as much as my SR500.
And the Ibanez is more versatile imo. I can't really thing of any genre wich it can't do.

I don't find slapping to be a problem at all, but I've learned to slap on this bass, so if you're used to a bass with a wider string spacing, it might take a while to get used to.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by grifff
What genres would the Ibanez suit best? I like a little slap even though thats not what I mainly play.

Like somebody above me said (too lazy to quote again), it doesnt suit any genre in particular, neither does the jazz - its just personal preference (sound, feel, ect.). You favor the Ibanez? Go for it man, if thats what you gravitate towards naturally. Just make sure you spend a bit more time playing around on both, maybe practice some songs you and your band play and twiddle around with the EQ and such to see how it sounds in context with what your playing.

The jazz will probably physically be better for slapping, but its not a huge adjustment to slap on an Ibanez. Just practice