Allright, there's a certain popular blues groove that I've been trying to play. I bet everyone here's heard it before; it seems to get taught to guitar beginners. In tabs it would look like this:

It is played with a swingy "triplet" feel. It seems to be derived from a Robert Johnson riff (listen to the verse riff of Sweet Home Chicago for an example). It's definitely played with the same "feel." Naturally, it doesn't have to be played in A, as above. You could do it in E, and maybe other keys too (don't ask me! ).

Anyway, my trouble is that I've been trying to play this groove for months and I've never been quite satisfied. My fingers never seem agile enough. My left hand often mutes or misses a string, and my picking hand sometimes hits the wrong strings. The result isn't a disaster, but it always seems amateurish to my own ears due to lots of little screw-ups. I want to play it so it sounds smooth and, well, groovy. I understand that I'm supposed to keep my first finger down on the 2nd fret of D string as an "anchor" as I move my fingers to frets 4 and 5, etc. That's not resolved all the difficulties.

I've only been playing guitar since February of this year, so that's obviously part of it. But it feels like I should have mastered this by now. So...pointers, suggestions, comments, encouragement? Basically, my biggest question is: how hard should this be? If it's something that takes a good deal of skill to play smoothly, then I won't sweat it so much. I'm just worried I'm missing something, though.

Thanks for any help. I didn't see a thread for this, but sorry if it's been addressed before.
It seems to me like your technique is fine, you just need to practice.

Start of slow and gradually increase your speed.
Once you get comfortable with your pinky usage, you should be able to get into the groove a little bit more. The easier it is for you to play ie - little thought to it - it will just feel easier.

keep practicin it. It's definitely a time thing. It took me a while to get into the swing of things with my playing
Quote by TipperaryLover

...I've only been playing guitar since February of this year, so that's obviously part of it. But it feels like I should have mastered this by now. So...pointers, suggestions, comments, encouragement? Basically, my biggest question is: how hard should this be? If it's something that takes a good deal of skill to play smoothly, then I won't sweat it so much. I'm just worried I'm missing something, though.

Never think that - because there's never anything you should know...everything simply falls into stuff you can play or stuff you can't play yet.

If you can't play something that either means it's straight up too hard or it simply means you haven't spent enough time learning to play it and instead have rushed ahead trying to play it before you were ready...if that makes any sense.

Like other people have said, learn to play it slowly first and get used to the movements required and the feel of the timing. When you've got it nailed at a slower tempo then you can look at speeding up gradually. There's not necessarily a "right" way to play it, I jam with a blues band and they tend to play it with the index and ring finger....rather than use the pinky they simply shift the ring finger up to the 5th fret then beck down.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com