I've been looking at recording software and I was wondering what the best software would be? I was looking at Audacity and it looks about right, but is there one that you can buy that's better?
Last edited by Imme94 at Dec 22, 2008,
the best software would be pro tools. dont let anyone tell you differently. protools hd is by far the most effective, best sounding program ive ever worked with. then again..thats outside an average persons price range so something like logic or protools le would be a good idea...
Well you'll probably wanna start spending upwards of 150$ for something decent.. .Things like Cubase go from 150$ to 600$ So look at any features you want and decide off that. All depends what you wanna do it you want to go really into detail with editing and mixing you'll want to spend more. If you just want to lay basic tracks down and not really edit them then don't spend more money than you need to.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
are you looking for just basic recording software, like Audacity, or the high-end software like Pro-Tools or Sonar?? or somewhere in the middle? I'm no expert, but it may help others to answer you
My current acoustic group:

Fiftieth Parallel

Martin Guitars
Elixer Strings
Acoustic amplification
BOSS pedals

Quote by HIM%(^
the best software would be pro tools. dont let anyone tell you differently. protools hd is by far the most effective, best sounding program ive ever worked with. then again..thats outside an average persons price range so something like logic or protools le would be a good idea...

Well I'm going to tell him differently. Pro Tools isn't the best, it's got things people like and things people don't. I use Cubase and you wouldn't believe how powerful it is.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Will Protools work on a PC. I'm not looking for something huge. Just where I can record my guitar and add my vocals or other instruments and edit them to how I want. So something in the price range of like 100 and below...yeah.
yeah, and to the guy that talked about pro tools not being the best. ive used both. the HD version, which is very expensive is the most expansive program there is. when i recorded in a real studio its what they used and it was almost amazing. user friendly, not so much. but cubase will probably be the best for this kid...
It would probably be good to go down to a local music store or something too and ask for opinions there too, because most answers here are going to be extremely biased people at stores will be able to tell u why one would be better than the other.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Quote by HIM%(^
yeah, and to the guy that talked about pro tools not being the best. ive used both. the HD version, which is very expensive is the most expansive program there is. when i recorded in a real studio its what they used and it was almost amazing. user friendly, not so much. but cubase will probably be the best for this kid...

They are both good in their own ways, just because your studio used protools doesn't mean every one does. But it's all preference because once you know how to use it you can get just a professional result with both. The top of the line Cubase is 600$ and that's not what this guy needs. He could look at cubase essentials though it's a broken down version and its just over 100$ I believe.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Wow so many responses. So looking back I should specify what I want exactly...lets try this again. I need a program to record guitar and all I want it to do is record the guitar/vocals/whatever and I can mix with other guitar/vocals/whatever that I've recorded. I also want it to record by me plugging my guitar into my PC using a USB cord or an adapter. I don't the 600 dollar equipment just the basics I'm only a beginner. Also for Audacity can I record the guitar using the cable from the amp to the computer or does it have to be a microphone?
Last edited by Imme94 at Dec 22, 2008,
Audacity is free and good to start on but it is definitely not the best. The "Best" is ProTools HD but most people don't have the cash for that setup.

It all comes down to preference. Some people like Protools, others like Audacity.
I am a fan of Sonar, It has a nice, easy to understand interface and their higher end products come with a lot of features.

Cakewalk Sonar
Cubase
Reaper
Frooty Loops

All good products which are over Audacity in terms of features.

Quote by Imme94
Will Protools work on a PC. I'm not looking for something huge. Just where I can record my guitar and add my vocals or other instruments and edit them to how I want. So something in the price range of like 100 and below...yeah.

Protools requires hardware to work and with any recording work you should get yourself an audio interface to run your mics and instruments into.

For small home stuff I suggest Reaper. You don't need the BEST for home use....unless you are starting a studio to compete with others around the area and do this as a living.

for an interface, look for a used EMU 0202 USB

An interface is a high end sound card for recording, all you need is a guitar to run into it or a mic to plug in. The shure SM57 is great for $100 but you don't have any budget for any mic after getting the 0202 and that unit is the lowest priced interface I would ever buy...
Last edited by moody07747 at Dec 22, 2008,
There is no such thing as "best recording software" only what suits you.

Protools is good but again, it comes down to personal taste, i've used Protools, Cubase, Sonar, Reaper, Audacity, Audition and some others and I always go back to Cubase.

Maybe it's because I know it so well. It's easy enough to learn so yea, I recommend Cubase.
Quote by DannyRL
so the cubase that CAME with my interface (presonus) is a really good software? or is it the $300 one

I think you have the LE version. I have SX...I got more stuff