So it is time that i finally sell my epiphone thunderbird and i should hopefully get 200 quid for it if i play my cards right. My question is though, what should i replace it with?
In a perfect world i would buy a 5 sting SUB stingray, but unless i could get one for around 300 quid, it is looking unlikely.

My options are:
An olp 5 string for 130 quid
Save up more for a sub
Get a second hand fender p bass to compliment my jazz)

what do you think i should go for?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Personally, i would get the P-bass. A stingray may suite you better if your a slap player, but i think adding a P would be adding to your tone repetoire as a musician since you already have a good jazz bass. But alot of people are gonna lean towards the stingray, so i suppose it depends on what your play style is and whether you put in alot of time with other musicians.
Hmm. How about meeting the middle ground and putting a P pickup in the olp?
I know its never gonna be the same as a proper p bass but closer than just a bridge humbucker?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
That might be interesting to play around with. Judging by your other thread, your an experimenter Yeah if youve got the proficiancy for the kind of thing, id give it a shot, i dont see where it can hurt, especially if your leaning towards the stingray. Though your gonna have to post up some sound clips of your P-Ray
Quote by CBurtonIsKing
That might be interesting to play around with. Judging by your other thread, your an experimenter Yeah if youve got the proficiancy for the kind of thing, id give it a shot, i dont see where it can hurt, especially if your leaning towards the stingray. Though your gonna have to post up some sound clips of your P-Ray

mmmm a p-ray. i like it

x

Edit:here is a pic of the olp if you where wondering.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
5 string P bass pups are a bitch to find!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The OLP will seem like a toy compared to the bass you already have so if I was you I'd save up for the Sub.

OLP are OK starter basses, but the pickup is very wooly sounding and the necks feel very cheap... Well my old one did anyway. The Sub is a much better bass
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by faultyy
The OLP will seem like a toy compared to the bass you already have so if I was you I'd save up for the Sub.

OLP are OK starter basses, but the pickup is very wooly sounding and the necks feel very cheap... Well my old one did anyway. The Sub is a much better bass

the only problem is this:
OLP 5 string = 130 quid
Sub 5 string = 400 quid

I cant afford a sub...

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I'd save up. Christmas is on thursday, you might get some cash from then.

Birthday soon?

Get a job?

You'll have thta sub in no time!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
I'd save up. Christmas is on thursday, you might get some cash from then.

Birthday soon?

Get a job?

You'll have thta sub in no time!

get a job? never!!!!!!!!

what is the tony levin olp like? any better than the standards?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Apparently the Tony Levin is quite a bit better, can't really comment though because I've never played one. It's active so the pickup shouldn't sound as bad, not sure about the neck though.

To be honest I think you'd be wasting £130 getting a normal one. When I got my Warwick I had absolutely no reason to play my OLP due to the difference in quality between the 2 and seeing as you already have a Fender Jazz you'll probably have the same problem, the OLP is a massive downgrade from what you have now.
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by faultyy
Apparently the Tony Levin is quite a bit better, can't really comment though because I've never played one. It's active so the pickup shouldn't sound as bad, not sure about the neck though.

To be honest I think you'd be wasting £130 getting a normal one. When I got my Warwick I had absolutely no reason to play my OLP due to the difference in quality between the 2 and seeing as you already have a Fender Jazz you'll probably have the same problem, the OLP is a massive downgrade from what you have now.

well the reason i want it, is because i want a bass that will introcuce me into 5'ers. I am not expecting it to be an upgrade, i just want something a bit different to play around with every now and again. I can get the tony levin one for ony 20 quid more and i think it sounds like a fair price.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
The difference between the SUB and the OLP is vast. I'd save your cash and try go for a used SUB.
just wanted to follow up with what i have bought in the end.
i managed to get a mim p bass with a musicman style kent armstrong humbucker in the bridge for 200 pounds.
good deal eh?

i haven't actually got it yet but here are the pics off of ebay:

what do you think?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134