hey guys so ive strated my first guitar mod (and at the same time my first solder job) So i went to start soldering a ground wire onto the tremelo claw and no matter how long i kept the soldering gun on the wire trying to heat up the wire and tremelo claw the solder wouldn't melt onto the wire. I tested just putting some solder right onto the tremelo claw i put just a small blob of solder onto it but it flaked right off and didnt stick, i wondered if it was maybe to smooth a surface on the claw so i sanded it a bit to rough it up a bit i tried it again and the same thing happened. so i figured i'd try soldering some ground wires onto the pots and the same thing happened again.

so i could really use your guys help on this is it the type of solder im using? i picked up some electrical solder (Silver bearing, Rosin Core, Lead Free, solder. not sure of the ratio of tin it doesnt say on the roll)
please help!
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
maybe it's getting too hot. what's the wattage of the iron?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
25 watts
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
it could be treated metal, i tried to soder something onto metal in shop class and learned that if its treated it wont stick.
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Too hot? No. It's not getting hot enough. Pot casings and trem claws have alot of surface area. WAY more than a simple switch lug. The iron is having a hard time heating the joint because the surface area of the claw or pot case is carrying the heat away.

It's all I can do to solder a wire onto a new pot case with my 40w iron. I hear that some people here do just fine with a 20w.

A few seconds with a 120w soldering gun does it for me, though.

edit: You use silver solder? That stuff is garbage imho. I could never get it to stick to anything. If you can get ahold of some 60/40 lead solder, you'll find that it sticks much better and is easier to melt. Idk if leaded solder is illegal in Canada yet, though. I'm in the US and we can still use it. I have a little stockpile going.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Dec 22, 2008,
Also, you might have to rough it up quite a bit, some pots have a light zinc coating to prevent rust and you might need to sand or file this off in the place you're trying to solder.