ok, I have some questions about the Edge III tremolo, because this Thursday I will be the proud owner of an Ibanez RG5EX1 (which has an Edge III).

1. when restringing it, do you have to cut the ball ends off? or can you leave em on?

2. I hear about people putting stuff under them when restringing them, whats with that?

3. Are there any other things about it that I should expect (besides that they suck, don't get it, etc. etc.)?
1.Cut them off
2.You can put a cloth/block under the trem while restringing to keep it balanced so it doesn't sink into the cavity.
3.No, good trem if you DON'T use the bar.
I only put stuff under the bridge when I'm restringing if I take all of the strings off. It's much less stressful to do one string at a time. Yes, I'm pretty sure you cut the balls off (ouch), I can't really remember. I have a real Floyd Rose right now and it's a blast, but the edge III is still pretty fun.
When I restrung a FR style tremolo system, I always just string it backwards so that the ball end goes through the tuning peg and then clip the excess off the string and clamp it into the bridge... I guess that's the wrong way of doing it?
Quote by music_mike
When I restrung a FR style tremolo system, I always just string it backwards so that the ball end goes through the tuning peg and then clip the excess off the string and clamp it into the bridge... I guess that's the wrong way of doing it?

nah actually that's not a bad idea. maybe i'll get flamed for this? who knows, i've never tried it.
Quote by music_mike

If the ends are gonna be cut off anyways I don't see what the problem would be.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
^ i saw that on a tutorial on youtube.

As for the edge III, dont get an Ibanez with one. This is from personal experience. I bought an ibanez with one on it and the trem broke in about a week. now i have my schecter
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
Quote by music_mike

I never tried that.
I'm gonna try that next time I restring my FR equipped guitar.
I would address the slippage that sometimes happens on the peg side.
Almost like a poor man's locking tuner.