Hey. New here.

I was thinking I could make my Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul look a little less simple.

Thoughts about dry erase marker on white Epi paint?

I tried little marks on the back and it comes off fine, I don't know how it would fare long-term though. Say it wouldn't come off, and I needed to use Expo spray, I'm thinking that it wouldn't play nice with the paint. It's interesting though, because I read somewhere that you can get Sharpie off of 'finished' surfaces by marking over it with dry-erase marker and then wiping it off. Anyway, I had a little black line of scratch on my guitar and I wrote over it with expo. I wiped it and it came right off.

I wouldn't think it would affect the sound much, but right now it is my main axe (yeah, I know, I want a Gibson, but I'm poor and guitar is a secondary instrument to me), and I don't want it to get jacked up.

Don't flame me and say I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea about this, and that's why I'm asking.

-Cartfisk
It should be fine. I have sharpie on my white guitar and it rubs off with just a little color left behind. If I actually cared about getting all the color off, I could honestly just rub a bit harder or get a damp rag and rub it.
Why would you want a Gibson? You end up paying too much for just the name. There's nothing wrong with an Epi.
I've done that before. I wrote with permanent sharpie all over a little red Target guitar. It was bout a year ago, and it still comes off. But if you write on the back, it will get on you when you play. Good luck!

Quote by foob85
How the HELL would marker on a guitar affect the sound?

I don't know, that's why I said I didn't think it would. Oh, I guess I said 'much' didn't I.

Well, I repainted this crappy old guitar my friend gave me, and everywhere I looked, it said that too much paint or lacquer would wreck the sound. I don't know. I'm just kind of paranoid about wrecking stuff that I spend more than $100 on (and no, it's not a $100 guitar).
Quote by Trefellin
Why would you want a Gibson? You end up paying too much for just the name. There's nothing wrong with an Epi.

Very true. But something about Gibson is so luring. Y'know. I guess when I'm rich and famous.

I have really crappy strings on mine right now and it sounds like a terd.
I need to hit up GC and pick up some Ernie Balls!
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
I've done that before. I wrote with permanent sharpie all over a little red Target guitar. It was bout a year ago, and it still comes off. But if you write on the back, it will get on you when you play. Good luck!

I know, I won't write on the back, I was just testing to see if it would come off, and if it didn't, I wouldn't want a random blue dot on the front.
Quote by TheMidasTouch
lol, like put stickers on it and stuff cartfish.

Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

Why would you put stickers on it?
Dude dont mess with it. Just leave it, white's a awsome color.
My signature has doubled...
Quote by John Spartan
Dude dont mess with it. Just leave it, white's a awsome color.

Yeah, and that's why I was thinking dry-erase.

One day I'm bored with white, so color on it.
Next day I'm sick of the color, wipe it off.

I would hate having it on permanently.
Quote by drummerdude952
Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

Why would you put stickers on it?

Same reason you'd draw on it. Make it look cool.
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by sSyLc
Same reason you'd draw on it. Make it look cool.

Yeah, but I'm the kind of person who can't deal with permanent shiste.

Like, "Oh, this sticker is so boss. I'll just *stick*..."
Next day: "****, why won't it come offfffff! Dammit!"

Yeah, I switch my desktop wallpaper about twice a day.
Last edited by drummerdude952 at Dec 22, 2008,
Quote by drummerdude952
I know, I won't write on the back, I was just testing to see if it would come off, and if it didn't, I wouldn't want a random blue dot on the front.

Then you'll be fine. If i used sharpie and it came off, dry erase would work fine. By the way, what exactly are you planning to put on there? are you just gonna shade the whole front of it or what?

I've done this with my strat knockoff and sharpies, i had a field day with them... those Mr. Clean magic erasers work perfectly on everything, buy yourself a pack
I has sigs

Quote by COBGage
If Dimebag can't take a few bullets to the head how's he gonna be able to take a full on Kamehameha?
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Then you'll be fine. If i used sharpie and it came off, dry erase would work fine. By the way, what exactly are you planning to put on there? are you just gonna shade the whole front of it or what?

No, just write stuff. Like... Funky Fresh. Make it look like I'm a crazy person. Like Ray Finkle's room in Ace Ventura.
Quote by skaterkevin87
I've done this with my strat knockoff and sharpies, i had a field day with them... those Mr. Clean magic erasers work perfectly on everything, buy yourself a pack

Good advice. I think I might just do that.
Wel at home depot or lowes you can buy this paint that makes any surface a chalk board so yea you can make a chalk board guitar.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Word of advice... Do it! Sharpie art is awesome!
Rip Kylee Harris 4.13.93-11.28.08
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
tell him that he is the drummer and that his opinions are invalid

Quote by Jim Harkins
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Quote by theocao
Wel at home depot or lowes you can buy this paint that makes any surface a chalk board so yea you can make a chalk board guitar.

Yeah, but that would f*** with the sound. I might do that with the cruddy one my friend gave to me, becuase I don't actually play it. It just looks cool.
"Piracy is one of the main causes of the dropping quality in music and films."

Not really. It's not like bands are saying "Hey guys, someone is going to illegaly download our album, lets make our songs sub-par."
-TooFast
Quote by thementor
Word of advice... Do it! Sharpie art is awesome!

Yeah, not so much art. Just crazy writing. To make it (as I said earlier) look like Ray Finkle's room in Ace Ventura.

P.S. I'm diggin' your avatar.

Not really. It's not like bands are saying "Hey guys, someone is going to illegaly download our album, lets make our songs sub-par."
-TooFast
Last edited by drummerdude952 at Dec 23, 2008,
I'm not sure why you're worrying so much about the "sound" of your electric guitar. The pickups pick up on the vibrations of the strings. Unless you paint your strings or your pickups . . .
Besides, there's always distortion.
Hell, even if it does "**** with the sound," who's to say it won't make it better?
Quote by markr17
go eat a hermanpherdite.
Quote by drummerdude952
Yeah, but that would f*** with the sound. I might do that with the cruddy one my friend gave to me, becuase I don't actually play it. It just looks cool.

I doubt it would in light coats, affect the sound too much.
But it would probably be better on a black bass.
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Quote by drummerdude952
Hey. New here.

I was thinking I could make my Alpine White Epiphone Les Paul look a little less simple.

Thoughts about dry erase marker on white Epi paint?

I tried little marks on the back and it comes off fine, I don't know how it would fare long-term though. Say it wouldn't come off, and I needed to use Expo spray, I'm thinking that it wouldn't play nice with the paint. It's interesting though, because I read somewhere that you can get Sharpie off of 'finished' surfaces by marking over it with dry-erase marker and then wiping it off. Anyway, I had a little black line of scratch on my guitar and I wrote over it with expo. I wiped it and it came right off.

I wouldn't think it would affect the sound much, but right now it is my main axe (yeah, I know, I want a Gibson, but I'm poor and guitar is a secondary instrument to me), and I don't want it to get jacked up.

Don't flame me and say I'm an idiot. I honestly have no idea about this, and that's why I'm asking.

-Cartfisk

try whammying without the whammy bar
Quote by Hakanku
I once went in to a public restroom and George Michael approached me for sex. True Story.
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
Edit, my friend. Edit.

Pardon me?

-TooFast
Thanks for all the insight!

I'll post some pictures.

-TooFast