I'm a self taught bassist, who hasnt changed the strings from the stock strings in 3 years, when I got it. What would be the best strings for me? I play a lot of rock and ska and I do a bit of slapping.
EWWWW! When you take them off, smell them.

I used D'Addario EXL170s for awhile when I first started and played pretty much only punk and liked it. They're pretty standard gauge, 45-65-80-100. They were nice but there was just a wee bit of low end missing for my taste. Right now I have Rotosound RS66LE, 50-70-85-110. But there's not enough high end for me. I'm about to start buying individual strings.
I've used Ernie Ball, Rotosound, DRs, and Warwick strings. Rotosounds are my favorite followed by DR and Ernie Ball... in all fairness the Warwick strings were dead. You could try Rotos or DR Hi-beams. Hi-beams are pretty low tension though, and not everyone likes that. They're bright though. DRs and Rotos are stainless steel (although DR has some nickel strings and I'm sure there are nickel Rotos too).

If you're not used to stainless steel strings they might chew up your fingers a bit, but they last longer than nickel strings (although not 3 years...) and usually sound brighter if you're into that kind of sound.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
EWWWW! When you take them off, smell them.

I used D'Addario EXL170s for awhile when I first started and played pretty much only punk and liked it. They're pretty standard gauge, 45-65-80-100. They were nice but there was just a wee bit of low end missing for my taste. Right now I have Rotosound RS66LE, 50-70-85-110. But there's not enough high end for me. I'm about to start buying individual strings.

I'd buy Swing 66's if I couldn't get two sets of D'Addario's for the same price
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
get rotosound. it is made with the same core as a piano string from what I've heard, those last way more than three years.

if it wasn't for your skin oils it probably would last forever.

and, it sounds very bright and resonant as a bonus.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
If you are on the European side of the pond--Stadium Elites. Mine finally have started to go dead. They are quite wonderful.

A good second are Rotosounds--most of us use the Swing 66s. Again, they last long and have a great tone.

I also like the Ernie Ball Slinky, esp the supers and hybrids. But they do have a tendency to go dead after about 6 weeks of constant play.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
. Right now I have Rotosound RS66LE, 50-70-85-110. But there's not enough high end for me. I'm about to start buying individual strings.

What do you mean by not enough top end?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
What do you mean by not enough top end?

When I played on the G and D strings, it was too low(not much) and I didn't want to change the way my band was playing the song so I would like hearing the song more.
I like my Rotosound 55's (pressure wound).
There might be better choices for slapping, but it's still got a good slap sound.

And their fingerstyle tone is absolutely amazing, imo.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
When I played on the G and D strings, it was too low(not much) and I didn't want to change the way my band was playing the song so I would like hearing the song more.
I presume that you are not getting enough sound (not loud enough), I've said before in previous posts that I use a 0.55 for my 'G' which give more punch. Fender's standard 'G' in the 60s was 0.54.
Find a store that sells individuals instead of packs, a little more expensive but more satisfaction.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
dean markley blue steel bass strings. bloody brilliant, look for them on ebay or something. or google them. really good.
I found a UK on line site that will ship Stadium Elites to the US.

www.soundunlimited.co.uk will for about 10 USD ship 2 sets of Elites (which run about 20 USD) to the states.

For the record, mine have lasted almost 4 months with daily play and about 12 hours of rehearsal a week.
Quote by anarkee
I found a UK on line site that will ship Stadium Elites to the US.

www.soundunlimited.co.uk will for about 10 USD ship 2 sets of Elites (which run about 20 USD) to the states.

For the record, mine have lasted almost 4 months with daily play and about 12 hours of rehearsal a week.

hmm.

it might be worth it to be different...

nah. my one run in with elites I seemed to be unsatisfied.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I like Elixers and DR coated strings, but that's just meh.. GHS makes some good strings too, I used to use Super Steels and now I can't find em anywhere. =[
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I'd go with rotosound swing 66s, they have an awesome tone, and they were cheaper than d'addario's for me. 28$ for the rotos and 35 for the d'addario's.