are there some gutiars better for making feedback? i have always heard the jazzmaster but is that true ?
Acoustic guitar with a microphone pickup.

As far as feedback goes:

Acoustic guitar>Semi-hollow>Soldibody.

That being said, the amount of volume and gain you have on your amp and how hot the pickups are also play a role. To me a solidbody guitar can get the most usable feedback since acoustic and semi-hollows tend to feedback too easily.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Dec 22, 2008,
hollowbodies with humbuckers.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
so if i drilled some holes into my starcaster would it get more feedback? or is that just a dumb idea ?
That's a bad idea, you need a chamber thats mostly enclosed. If you want more feedback turn up the volume or increase the gain, or do both.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I got an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody...

It feedbacks a lot...it's not even funny. ;(
I have to stuff it with t-shirts to make it at least somewhat manageable.
It even feedbacks when i palm mute...

EDIT:
If you really WANT feedback, buy any overdrive/dist pedal, the cheaper the better, max out the level and eq and use it when you need it...usually works.
I'm not cool.
Last edited by StrangeAngel at Dec 22, 2008,
just get a boss metalcore pedal and put the distortion knob on 10 and turn the gain on your amp all the way up...anything will feedback...
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
Quote by seizureman
so if i drilled some holes into my starcaster would it get more feedback? or is that just a dumb idea ?

This made me lol pretty hard.

Your guitar is a solid body, it won't feedback if you drill holes in it.

If you want feedback, turn up your gain, get your pickups close to the speaker, and select the bridge pickup. Its that simple.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
No one mentioned single coil pickup + gain?
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by SlinkyBlue
This made me lol pretty hard.

Your guitar is a solid body, it won't feedback if you drill holes in it.

If you want feedback, turn up your gain, get your pickups close to the speaker, and select the bridge pickup. Its that simple.

This.

There's nothing complex to it.

Gain + Bridge pick up + Close to speaker = Feedback

Single coil pickups help.
Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of God's grey Earth as that prince of foods:

the muffin!
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
No one mentioned single coil pickup + gain?

isnt that more hum than feedback?
Quote by r2zou
isnt that more hum than feedback?

Doesn't the hum end up as strong feedback if you're playing with high gain? I don't use single coil pickups...
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
The main thing a beginner to the wonderful world of feedback needs to get through their head is that it takes VOLUME. Lots of it. If you're having trouble getting it and your guitar is two inches from the amp and you're ears aren't bleeding: IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH.

Oh and feedback comes through just fine on the neck or mid positions on guitars it just requires, you guessed it, more volume (or gain*, either one works really).

While feedback is amazing, be aware that it pisses off the parents, siblings, neighbors, local dogs, and non-musician friends faster than pretty much anything else you can do (pinch harmonic tritones might get them away faster, but feeding back tritones would be faster yet). So good luck, have fun, and try to remain on speaking terms with those around you.

*gain = distortion, in case anyone was confused.
Quote by RadioMuse
The main thing a beginner to the wonderful world of feedback needs to get through their head is that it takes VOLUME. Lots of it. If you're having trouble getting it and your guitar is two inches from the amp and you're ears aren't bleeding: IT'S NOT LOUD ENOUGH.

Oh and feedback comes through just fine on the neck or mid positions on guitars it just requires, you guessed it, more volume (or gain*, either one works really).

While feedback is amazing, be aware that it pisses off the parents, siblings, neighbors, local dogs, and non-musician friends faster than pretty much anything else you can do (pinch harmonic tritones might get them away faster, but feeding back tritones would be faster yet). So good luck, have fun, and try to remain on speaking terms with those around you.

*gain = distortion, in case anyone was confused.

+1

Just turn the volume up pussy

Feedback is a PHYSICAL effect, it's a direct result of the sound waves created by the speaker perpetuating the vibrations of the strings, in other words the additional energy provided by the amplifier is "feeding back" into itself. If it's not loud enough then the speaker won't be moving enough and that means the resulting sound waves won't be powerful enough to affect the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Dec 23, 2008,