I've been wanting to get into post-rock for a while, but I'm not sure what to use to get that big wall of distortion sound while still maintaining a clear tone. I am going to be running through a Fender Frontman 212R 100W

(http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Frontman-212R-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481601)

I have about $200 to spend on effects and pedals and for the sake of argument, I don't have anything yet. I'd like a good reverb pedal, delay, some type of pedal to get that wall of distorted sound, and any other effects that may come in handy. Advice is welcome! Thanks.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps
Peavey 6505+ with Marshall 1960B
Crate Powerblock with CRT412

Visit my blog at My Blog
Refer to a thread called "Gear for Post Rock"

Use the search bar.

I wrote a guide to everything you need

edit: here it is

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1018914&highlight=gear+for+post+rock

Second page i believe

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
To play post-rock you're going to need two delays (one long and one short) and to be honest you probably won't be able to get all the pedals you need. There was a massive post-rock gear thread awhile ago where all the good pedals were recommended. Check the search bar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I already read through it. I didn't quite understand a lot of what was going on because it seemed to be typed freehand, not in complete sentence form, and I didn't really understand what made certain pedals better than others. I'm coming from a death metal sounds through a Peavey 6505+ and about zero effects to this genre.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
At the current point in time, delay isn't at the absolute top of my priority list. I'd like to get that wall of sound distortion first, then move on to reverb, then delay.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
Well reverb and delay are pretty much responsible for that "wall of distortion" sound. What you want to do is run a reverb BEFORE your distortion. Delay also helps blend things together. It's sort of weird to control, but you get used to it pretty fast.

I'd recommend a Line 6 Verbzilla for reverb and an Ibanez DE-7 for delay (play it on "echo" mode).

Sorry about the "freehand". It took long, and was over 10,000 characters originally.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

No problem at all. Thanks for the advice. What does the reverb before the distortion do. I have an old Metal Zone distortion pedal that got me started back in the day but it doesn't seem to do much justice in the bigger scheme. Which verbzilla do you recommend, there are two available on musiciansfriend, and lastly, is the amp I have a good idea to use? I don't actually own it yet but I have a Frontman at home already and I love it. I know tube amps are usually better but I figure if the Frontman can produce a nice, clean tone, like my current one does, tube/solid shouldn't matter, right?

I'm also looking at getting a French Toast, good idea? It seems better than the current distortion I have, but I'm not really sure what type of distortion is normally used in post rock.

I just checked out all of the pedals recommended, I can get a DE7 for about $70, a French Toast for $40, and a Verbzilla, assuming this is the right one (http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-99-040-1901-Verbzilla/dp/B000JKR8EM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1230007894&sr=1-1) for 100. Totaling $210, which fits right into my price range.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
Last edited by hehepupitre at Dec 22, 2008,
I think the Frontman would be much better suited for post rock than the 6505+, but it's not impossible for the Peavey.

Reverb before distortion basically spreads out, or "smears" your sound, and then distorts the smeared mess in a very nice way.

One of the Verbzilla's (the more expensive one) is the actual pedal. The cheaper one is a module that you can insert into another Line 6 ToneCore pedal to get the Verbzilla effects. I don't really like that idea.

Keep in mind the prices online are usually cheaper than in stores. A Verbzilla is about $120, a DE-7 is $84.95, and a French Toast is $39.99 where I'm from.

The Dano French Toast is an excellent idea. It's actually a fuzz, not a "distortion", but it will definitely get thick and ugly. A reverb before that thing sounds wicked.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Thanks very much, I should be ordering my pedals soon and I'll let you know how things go. I plan on buying everything online anyway, and may even be able to snag a deal, so about $200 seems reasonable. And in no way shape or form was I planning on using the 6505. I use that at death metal band practice and at home I have an old Frontman 25R that is decent enough, and a Crate Powerblock but I'd like something that will actually last and have some volume, thus I opted for the 212R. It seems reasonable enough, has great reviews, and for a clean channel amp with a bit of 'verb, for $350 you can't go wrong.
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
The Frontman's are sometimes of looked down upon, but I (and many others) see nothing wrong with them at all. With that sort of budget that's what I'd go with.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

One final thing. One thing I haven't been able to achieve yet is the ability to play a barre chorde, for instance, I'll be playing in drop D and I'll barre the D, A, and D strings on the 7th fret, and then on the G string, I'll alternate between notes while playing my barre chord viciously. Is there any way to make that note on the G string be more noticeable so it doesn't get lost in the drown of the chord? Essentially I'm trying to "brighten" my guitar sound so that when tremolo picking or strumming chords violently, the subtle note changes don't get lost in the blend of music. What would I use to achieve that? I know they do it in post rock all the time by playing chords vigorously, very high up the neck, and then changing notes very slightly, and the notes become very clear. Perhaps it's my guitar? I'm using an Ibanez ARC100 with humbuckers. Perhaps single coils are the way to go?
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps

Visit my blog at My Blog
don't mean to be a bumper but...
Guitars
LTD MH-400NT
Ibanez ARC-100
Amps