hey UG,

i'm im flying tomorow and i will taking my epi les paul. what precautions should i take to make sure it dosent get damaged on the way there or back? i do have a hardshell case for it.
am i guarenteed to be able to carry it on? i love that epi more than life itself so im just worked up over it.
Umm I think so. You'll have to put it in the overhead bins though. But still, better than having some pissed off guy in an orange jacket throwing it into the bottom of the plane or just forgetting about it.
Quote by xxBR34KD0WN
Carry on

Yea, are you even allowed to carry it on?
yea theres alwayse that. thanks il see if i can carry it on. and if not il see if they have some insureance or whatever. if that thing goes i saw an amazing used epi lp custom. thanks
If carryon isn't an option then get A LOT of foam and padding.
Detune it before you take it on the plane. The change in pressure due to the higher altitude can tug on the strings and snap them or increase tension on the neck.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Quote by Unledded
Yea, are you even allowed to carry it on?

I've carried on an acoustic-sized guitar before, so I don't think a Les Paul would be forbidden.
Epiphone Riviera Jorma Kaukonen Deluxe
Orange Tiny Terror with a Mesa 2x12 Lone Star
Boss PH-3
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss DD-20
Fender Deluxe Mexi-Jazz
Yeah I'm pretty sure you can carry it on. But either way, be sure it's secure in it's case and lock the case.
Make sure you loosen the strings. The high altitude can cause serious neck issues, if there's too much tension.
There's my way and the wrong way.
yea thats right i should detune the strings. not all the way tho right? just so there a little floppy not completly loose.
Quote by Themilkmaker
yea thats right i should detune the strings. not all the way tho right? just so there a little floppy not completly loose.

Yeah, just so the have some more wiggle room. Have a safe trip, bro.
I was gonna fly down to Arizona after christmas, and then i though, that will be risking it trying to get it down there. (I only have a soft case :P)
Ive seen the baggage handlers drop things pretty hard, so be careful, but it shouldnt be an issue. There are so many people that take it with them.
BTW, are you sure it can still be carry on? I thought they changed the size rules for carry on items.
i hope they let me caryr it on. im going to alberta canada and its like -31 degrees celcius there. dont know what that converts to feihrenheit( nice try spelling that) but its ****ing cold. hopefully my neck dosent go out of whack also, i just managed to get the action and intonation pretty good so i wouldnt be suprized if the climate change form new york to canada will end up screwing. and il try to have a safe trip thanks alot.
I hope youre good at truss rod adjustments :P
That would be my main concern, next to careless baggage handlers
I WATCHED THEM DROP MY BAG OUT OF THE PLANE LOADING IT IN, AND THEY JUST THROUGH IT BACK UP THERE. (while on the ground of course)
I hold grudges
Make sure you take the hardshell case. one time i was bringing back a oriental-type stringed instrument from turkey, it was in a soft case. I was in a loaded plane, and i put it in the overhead bin, as people are filling on to the plane i look up and one of the hostestes is violently Jamming another luggage into the same bin. Luckily it didnt break, just make sure you guitar is safe at all times. and if you want call the airlines ahead of time just to make sure you have it carry-on
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Themilkmaker
i hope they let me caryr it on. im going to alberta canada and its like -31 degrees celcius there. dont know what that converts to feihrenheit( nice try spelling that) but its ****ing cold. hopefully my neck dosent go out of whack also, i just managed to get the action and intonation pretty good so i wouldnt be suprized if the climate change form new york to canada will end up screwing. and il try to have a safe trip thanks alot.

I take my SG around everwhere, from my 70 farenheit house to my -40 farenheit outside.

I'm in MB, Canada, and AB is not as cold as us dude. You'll be fine, just don't leave it outside for like 2 hours.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
don't detune the guitar, it's unnecessary and if you leave it detuned for more than a day it may develop some neck issues.

there's no such thing as increased air pressure that will make your neck warp or snap or any sort of issue that anyone believes. that's like saying people in denver should have their guitars tuned a half step down just because they're a mile higher than everyone else at sea level.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
The neck issues would correct when it's retuned, or with some slight truss rod adjustment.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
my advice would be just not to bother with detuning it, you run the risk of having to actually adjust the truss rod. it's not terrible to do, it's just 99% of people dont know how to do it properly.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
^ True. but what you said about no change in pressure is wrong.

It's not about what the pressure is, its about when it changes. You know when you ears pop on a plane? Pressure change.

If you live in Denver, and I live in the death valley, our guitars are equalized to the pressure there. No worries.

I don't know what a change would do, but it's safer to make sure there is no extra tension. Detune to be safe.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
that's just chopping my sentence up, read it in context.

the increased air pressure wont do a thing (notably or anything at all) to your neck. i also didn't say that change in air pressure didn't exist. i've taken more chem and physics than 90% of existing undergrads (unfortunately, and who ever remembers anything lol).

i'd leave it tuned.

also, to be scientifically and on topic-ally correct, air pressure goes down as you go up.

and one last thing you really arent going that high up so that it would be a significant change in air pressure. less than a small fraction of atm will change. ever hear any stories of guitar necks warping or snapping because they were in an airplane?

i'd always take it carry on though, i haven't dealt with having to travel with my guitar yet.
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
What does pressure have to do with string's snapping. Air pressure will be surrounding the guitar on all sides. It's not like all the pressure is going to minimize on certain parts of the guitar forcing it to collapse on itself. Not to mention planes are pressurized anyways.

You can call the company who you are flying with for any questions concerning the trip. Ask if a guitar is suitable for carry on.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Here's what I do when I go flying with my guitar.

1. Throw it in my rickety old case that offers no real protection.
2. Give it to the guy making $8/hr at the oversized baggage check who doesn't give a ****.
3. Sit around for an hour and complain about how flying is such a protracted experience.
4. Fly.
5. Land.
6. Go sit around for half an hour waiting for my guitar to show up in the odd sized baggage drop.
7. Watch guitar case come down the little slide half open and on it's side.
8. Leave air port.
9. Play guitar.

The trick is my guitar is only worth like $300... How much am I supposed to care?

If you're really worried about your guitar's safety you can get some really top notch ABS plastic cases that feature loops for a pad-lock. They're several hundred dollars but you can rest assured that the only air port employee who's going to see the guitar is the one at the baggage check before you take off. They've got to check to make sure you're not packing some kind of smoke bomb aka. The Ace Freshly.
Hard Case or Flight Case is my advice. Flight case if it's looong distances, I fly often from Norway to Brazil so using a Hard Case is ok, but Flight Case is much more secure. Also if you are going from a cold place to a warm climate or the other way around you have to consider that as well, climate changes messes up the wood of the guitars. But if it's a short flight, ain't much to worry about.
They let me put my hardshell case in a locker near the cockpit gave it back when I got off the plane. I didnt mess with the strings at all. Was still in tune when I got home.
update: so i made it back and my les is in perfect condition. i carried it on so it went relay smooth and ofr some reaosn the dry cold climate actulay helped my tuning stability, go figure. thanks for the advice "dudes". peace and a a happy new year