I need a chord progression for an acoustic that sounds kinda similar to this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcaQwpZmAF4&feature=channel_page

yeah... any help would be appreciated, but i do know open chords, not well on bar, but they can be done...
It's in the melody, mostly. Write a depressing melody with depressing, slow phrasing and you're set. Even if you play over a completely major progression (Low mans lyrics is a perfect example of a song that mostly outlines major chords)

Than it's in the rhthym, its got to have that slow solemn rhthym, something really downbeat. Nothing too poppy.

Chord progressions aren't THAT important. Sure it might be a little easier to write in a minor key or to use mostly minor chords, but not so much.
You could use a major progression I wrote: I vi iii (vi) ii6 (In Cmaj, this is C, Am, Em, Dm6)
Mostly minor chords. Don't forget to add a major sixth to the ii chord, else the peice won't resolve. I used a Dm6 as a sort of pseudo-dominant chord, it contains the same notes which cause G to resolve to C so easily, but it's a minor chord instead.

Generally using vi (in C, this is an Am) as a predominant is good. So before you launch into your dominant chord (in C this is a G), you use an Am.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I was bored so I transcribed it for you;

It's in the key of D Major.

The chords are; Bm, D, A, G for the verse

then it goes into the prechorus; G, A, Bm, *E

* the E chord is not in the key of D Major. This is called a borrow chord/modulation and is 1 of the pinnacles of pop songs.

The chorus is: Bm, G, E7, F(7)

*Once again the E7 chord is borrowed as well as the F(7)

then at 2:23 it goes into: G, **Em, A, Bm.

**This time it picks up the key again by using an Em Instead of the E7 and E Major used before. This will lead the ear back to D Major in the next verse smoothly.

Bottom line is; I suggest you look into modulation, cause this song is a cross between "uplifting and Sadness" in my opinion.

EDIT: Lmao I forgot the bridge. That's why I don't transcribe for UG.

3:38 (bridge): (begins with oooh woooh wooooh woooh)
Chords are: G, D, Bm, A

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Dec 23, 2008,